Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

I've lived in the area since 2009, and I can't remember ever walking by and seeing it clean in there. I don't know who owns the water there, but they don't skim out the trash nearly as often as they should. Part of the problem might be all the nesting birds in there.

I've lived in the area since 2009, and I can't remember ever walking by and seeing it clean in there. I don't know who owns the water there, but they don't skim out the trash nearly as often as they should. Part of the problem might be all the nesting birds in there.
The cleaning of the water is the responsibility of the Toronto Port Authority (Ports Toronto). This year they have erected a boom under the Queens Quay bridge so that may keep out some of the flotsam & jetsam that washes in. At some point they need to do work on the concrete surrounding the inlet - it is in increasingly poor condition.

Yeah, it's always gross there. The swans make a nest out of the garbage. It's nasty.

In the meantime your video was uploading, did you emailed the 311 and requested a clean up?

Yes and I also called Pam McConnell's office too. Of course, nothing was done.

I first noticed this last summer when I was showing around friends from out of town. They were here for World Pride, so that was in June. I went back in August and still saw all the crap there but even worse, so I got my camera and filmed it. I complained to all the places I could think of and of course, nothing changed. I'm pretty sure it's going to be there all summer this year too, which is why I decided to post the video. I will send it out to as many people as I can, until I see it cleaned up. If the Pan-Am Games isn't good enough reason to keep our central waterfront clean, I don't know what is. For tourists from around the world to see this, is just unacceptable. Well, it's not just for the tourists but for the birds and us Torontonians too.

Last edited:
Isn't that Ward 20? So contact Joe Cressy's office
Yes, it's ward 20 BUT the lake clean-up is the responsibility of the Port Authority so not sure the City can do much. Last year WT persuaded them to 'get with it' - their excuse was that with the work on QQ and the bridge their skimmer boat could not actually get into the "pool" but they finally managed to collect lots of the crap from the shore.

I'm impressed with how this is turning out:

0jUQzVu.jpg

FpO7czc.jpg

I didn't think anything could redeem these buildings but I'm beginning to become convinced that it can be done.

It still looks like student housing you'd find in Waterloo, but it's a lot better than it was.

And yeah, get rid of that parking garage.

They're painting the brick, which generally isn't a good idea. You have to keep repainting the bricks every decade so the building doesn't look derelict. It's expensive and bad for the environment.

What do you mean by derelict? Paint ages. So does everything else. No reason to have to paint every ten years. Painted CIP concrete is everywhere especially once you leave our precast filled city

A painted brick facade with chipped, peeling or faded paint can look rundown. A rundown appearance is undesirable, hence the need to repaint every 10-15 years. By contrast, an unpainted brick facade can look fine for at least 50 years without any maintenance to the bricks themselves. Certain kinds of stone and precast concrete panels are also low maintenance.

Back