Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

While cycling by this complex, from my POV the new building should improve the view to the north, not detract from it. The current state of affairs between the two towers is fairly miserable, and it needs the jolt of new life.

The best thing to improve this complex would be to redevelop the parking garage, but that's not part of the plan.

32995954250_6d23af0200_h.jpg

I'd like a 2 or 3 storey building to block out the Gardiner but not tall enough to block out Skydome. A cultural or entertainment type development along the northern strip would be great with a park/public square in front. We need more buildings in parks where we can escape the cold of winter and make parks useable year round. A public market/restaurant destination would work well here too.

Could be interesting if they did a retail market-style building there since the neighbourhood is lacking in good retail options at the moment.

I also think there could be some opportunity to put some programming under parts of the Gardiner beside the site.

Something like the Underpass Park, with some small retail stalls on the north side against the Lakeshore? Would prefer if there's some way of utilizing the space rather than blocking it off.

Last edited:
There's no room for programming under the Gardiner here unless you want to close the Lake Shore and the bike path.

Personally, I'd like to see something along the north side of the park to cut down on traffic noise near the water here, but I bet there's no money nor the will to do something like that. If there was money, I would build up a park on a sloping roof of an underground garage which would be accessed from Rees Street near the northeast corner of the site. The problem with parks on roofs, however, is that every 40 years or so you have to scrape the park off the roof to repair it. A raised park would, however, provide better views of the lake and islands to the south of it…

Not the entire Gardiner, but I think there's 1/4 space under the Gardiner that could be used.

For a sloping structure to block off the Gardiner, something like this could be interesting:

https://www.dezeen.com/2012/01/24/inca-public-market-by-charmaine-lay-and-carles-muro/

Obviously a bit heftier though for rooftop access and perhaps planted up. Otherwise, I think that some tree plantings might also do the job well in reducing noise.

Not the entire Gardiner, but I think there's 1/4 space under the Gardiner that could be used.

For a sloping structure to block off the Gardiner, something like this could be interesting:

https://www.dezeen.com/2012/01/24/inca-public-market-by-charmaine-lay-and-carles-muro/

Obviously a bit heftier though for rooftop access and perhaps planted up. Otherwise, I think that some tree plantings might also do the job well in reducing noise.
Interesting development for its location, and yup, you'd need a design that's equally site-specific to work here.

In regards to the 1/4 of the space under the Gardiner that you think exists, that's where the bike path is, and when Harbour is rebuilt in conjunction with the new Gardiner off-ramps, Harbour is getting bike lanes and this path will be rebuilt with the intention of making it the higher-speed route to keep the speeds on the Waterfront Trail along the Queens Quay slower. So, no, there's no 1/4 of the space under the Gardiner that's available.

I'd like a 2 or 3 storey building to block out the Gardiner but not tall enough to block out Skydome. A cultural or entertainment type development along the northern strip would be great with a park/public square in front. We need more buildings in parks where we can escape the cold of winter and make parks useable year round. A public market/restaurant destination would work well here too.

I like your idea of building along the northern strip. With all the parkland and public space south of QQ, I don't see the need for yet another patch of green here—unless it's to enhance a worthwhile building or two. I'm all for blocking out the Gardiner (on the grounds that it's unsightly) but I think from the southern perspective Skydome is even more unsightly and the more that view is blocked the more attractive the waterfront will become. I suspect there's lobbying from Rogers and friends to preserve, for one thing, a good TV shot of the harbour from the stadium but any good pro director/cameraman combo could work around and through any buildings that went up there.

A mediation is scheduled at the OMB for November 10, 2017. A hearing is scheduled for February 12, 2018.

... they are asking for a above average rent increase to pay for the paint on the brick, new windows, new lobby, and a couple other things. I'll be bringing pictures to show previous state that shows it was all cosmetic... and be bringing some of the monthly notices regarding construction that forced me to move out. They filed in June of last year with an effective date of September of last year. Hearing is in October. For anyone curious - new windows cost 5.9 million and the painting 1.1 million.

Back