Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I’m curios about the layers of material that are applied to the raw concrete on the super columns. The first layer consists of a blue styrofoam looking material, then a yellow fibreglass looking layer, then a thin mesh like layer and, I assume, the final metal cladding will be attached. Does anyone know what the purpose of each layer is? Also wondering how it’s all attached to the concrete. Thanks in advance.

I’m curios about the layers of material that are applied to the raw concrete on the super columns. The first layer consists of a blue styrofoam looking material, then a yellow fibreglass looking layer, then a thin mesh like layer and, I assume, the final metal cladding will be attached. Does anyone know what the purpose of each layer is? Also wondering how it’s all attached to the concrete. Thanks in advance.

The blue layer is air/vapour barrier (I think it is self adhesive); the yellowish stuff is Roxul - rockwool insulation - I think there are metallic protrusions it basically gets stuck in. Not sure about the black - another moisture barrier?

AoD

I'm not a fan of tall buildings for the sake of tall buildings (for the most part, it just seems to be about some abstract idea of "bragging rights"), but I wouldn't be upset if Sam wins the appeal.
The taller version looks aesthetically better due to the heights of the different sections.
Shorter version is overly-truncated.

Part 1 of 3 taken on March 22, 2023:

Bloor Side:

IMG_7810.jpeg
IMG_7811.jpeg
IMG_7812.jpeg
IMG_7813.jpeg
IMG_7814.jpeg
IMG_7815.jpeg
IMG_7816.jpeg
IMG_7817.jpeg
IMG_7818.jpeg
IMG_7819.jpeg
IMG_7820.jpeg
IMG_7821.jpeg

I drive the DVP you cannot see it lol

I have to eat my words on this as I was driving on DVP Tuesday and you are correct. I couldn't see it. In fact, because it's behind 1 Bloor East I don't know when you'll be able to see it. Possibly not even till it's close to topping out. I must have been looking at another building so my apologies.

Photos taken today, Friday (March 24). And the latest "time-lapse" photo, added to my Flickr album:

UTIMG_9127.jpg
UTIMG_8997.jpg
UTIMG_8982.jpg
UTIMG_8973.jpg
UTIMG_8984.jpg
UTIMG_9106.jpg
UTIMG_9061.jpg
UTIMG_9069.jpg

UTIMG_9172.jpg

Last edited:
Part 3 of 3 taken on March 22, 2023:

Yonge side:

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7835.jpg

IMG_7836.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

IMG_7838.jpg

IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7840.jpg

IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7842.jpg

Taken from Nordstrom Rack:

IMG_7846.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

From the Concord Sky site:

IMG_7849.jpg

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7851.jpg

While I was taking today's sets of photos, a construction worker for The One approached me and showed me security camera photos of me taking photos over the past few months.

He asked me, "Why are you taking photos?"

I told him, "I'm taking photos for a blog."

He replied, "What's your name and what is the name of the blog?"

I know that I am posting under my real name, so I said, "I post anonymously" because I know he has photos of me. In fact, he even took selfies of me next to him on the escalator in Nordstrom Rack.

He replied, "I understand and you aren't really anonymous if I have photos of you, so you don't need to tell me your name. However, I need to know the name of the blog or else I will ask a police officer standing at the entrance of Nordstrom Rack to delete the photos from your phone."

I told him, "UrbanToronto, urbantoronto.ca"

The construction worker and the police officer then spoke to me and I am in the clear. The construction worker took a look at UrbanToronto and congratulated me as it is not the first time an UrbanToronto member took photographs inside The One's site.

The construction worker gave me a fist bump and I gave him a fist bump back.

I hollered to him as we walked across the intersection, "I make you famous! You should be thanking me!"

He nodded.

I will continue to take photos of The One's site as I am technically not trespassing (my body is outside the fence; only the phone is inside it).

Part 3 of 3 taken on March 22, 2023:

Yonge side:

View attachment 464011
View attachment 464012
View attachment 464013
View attachment 464014
View attachment 464015
View attachment 464016
View attachment 464017
View attachment 464018
View attachment 464019

Taken from Nordstrom Rack:

View attachment 464020
View attachment 464021
View attachment 464022

From the Concord Sky site:

View attachment 464023
View attachment 464024
View attachment 464025

While I was taking today's sets of photos, a construction worker for The One approached me and showed me security camera photos of me taking photos over the past few months.

He asked me, "Why are you taking photos?"

I told him, "I'm taking photos for a blog."

I know that I am posting under my real name, so I said, "I post anonymously" because I know he has photos of me. In fact, he even took selfies of me next to him on the escalator in Nordstrom Rack.

He replied, "I understand and you aren't really anonymous if I have photos of you, so you don't need to tell me your name. However, I need to know the name of the blog or else I will ask a police officer standing at the entrance of Nordstrom Rack to delete the photos from your phone."

I told him, "UrbanToronto, urbantoronto.ca"

The construction worker and the police officer then spoke to me and I am in the clear. The construction worker took a look at UrbanToronto and congratulated me as it is not the first time an UrbanToronto member took photographs inside The One's site.

The construction worker gave me a fist bump and I gave him a fist bump back.

I hollered to him as we walked across the intersection, "I make you famous! You should be thanking me!"

He nodded.

I will continue to take photos of The One's site as I am technically not trespassing (my body is outside the fence; only the phone is inside it).
I don't think you were obligated to even speak to the worker or even the cop, let alone have the cop delete your photos.

I don't think you were obligated to even speak to the worker or even the cop, let alone have the cop delete your photos.

Agreed. That whole conversation was a bit ridiculous and unnecessary. I had to laugh when he congratulated Johnny. 🤔🙄

You were on public property? I am not aware that any private person, security guard or police officer could ask for your phone or delete anything While on public property. If a police officer was arresting you, had a search warrant, that would be a different story. Not so for any private party, including any security guard. If you are private property the rules change, but no security officer has the powers of a police officer.

...I would of told him to look it up by an image search or go to the respective UT thread and then walk away. As there's nothing else you needed to prove as you where doing nothing illegal here.

It should be also pointed here that one of the *upper management of UT (Mr. 42) was touring the place a few weeks back. Do these people have conveniently short memories? /sigh

*Source:

Back