Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Would you guys say this construction progress is on track or behind schedule?
(minus the permit delay)
I think ground breaking was oct 2017. We only appear to have the skeleton of 7 floors up in 2021. 111th west 57 in NYC broke ground in 2016 and has been topped out for some time.
(I’m not versed on the differences between developers, cities etc)
Thanks for yours thoughts!
Permits delayed this for a long time and also the pandemic. They're also moving slow, so this development is definitely significantly behind. I'd be surprised if this is topped out before 2023

Permits delayed this for a long time and also the pandemic. They're also moving slow, so this development is definitely significantly behind. I'd be surprised if this is topped out before 2023
But like all tall buildings though, once the bottom end of it gets itself sorted out - as well as the pandemic winds down (hopefully) - the construction of this will likely pick up. So it might top out before 2023...but don't quote me on that.

I dont really understand whats happening with all the cranes.....can someone explain?

From what I understand the big black crane in the middle of the tower is being removed and the yellow crane on the south side will be the primary crane moving forward. Is that correct?

Yellow crane being “cut out” from the south podium.

Once the yellow crane is repositioned and the centre crane is removed, the retail tenant will take possession of their vaulted three story space to begin installation of the store. I’d imagine we’ll see black hoarding going up around the podium soon after the centre crane is taken out.
It's going to be some time before Apple takes control of its space here. There's no way that they'll take on an unsecured, weather-exposed, unit to start building while Mizrahi is going full bore all around them. We will certainly see Apple start build out before the tower is done, but it's not going to be for awhile yet as the site is nowhere near ready.

It's going to be some time before Apple takes control of its space here. There's no way that they'll take on an unsecured, weather-exposed, unit to start building while Mizrahi is going full bore all around them. We will certainly see Apple start build out before the tower is done, but it's not going to be for awhile yet as the site is nowhere near ready.
Not to mention the risk to the general public. I can't see the city of Toronto, or Apple or Mizrahi taking on that sort of insurance risk/liability, while the tower is being constructed. If something fell and injured/killed someone that is a very expensive lawsuit.

Today.
6C852B2F-7868-40C1-91DD-05DC5287DD48.jpeg
6A407797-3A4F-441A-8489-AC45A74E42A5.jpeg
6E12E8F1-6715-4D11-BF35-F104564E023C.jpeg
374ADAB9-AD4F-4D91-BEC1-D59C3611B136.jpeg
C6F97B7D-CAA6-47DE-ACD1-97FEC9DDAD28.jpeg
19C862AF-458A-4E3E-AD6D-F2FE34B2CA67.jpeg
B87B5BBE-2F7A-430A-84F8-3D381098D71C.jpeg
C5851448-16AF-49BA-97DE-ADCA38739442.jpeg

There are structural elements like the staircase, elevator and potentially a platform, none of which are listed in The One's blueprints because they were never intended to be built by Mizrahi — only placeholders are included and explicitly labeled as such. Given the large structural components involved, these will need to be done before the podium is enclosed with glazing and can take close to a year, long before things like wall framing, electrical, data and finishings will begin, which will happen after the podium is enclosed.

STAIR/ELEVATOR OPENING. DESIGN TBD By ANCHOR TENENT DESIGN TEAM:

IMG_3960.jpeg

Not to mention the risk to the general public. I can't see the city of Toronto, or Apple or Mizrahi taking on that sort of insurance risk/liability, while the tower is being constructed. If something fell and injured/killed someone that is a very expensive lawsuit.

Mizrahi himself said that he plans for the retail podium and hotel to open one to two years before the tower is complete, similar to what was done at Aura. A year from now, I think we can expect The One's tower phase will be well on its way, certainly 20 or more stories off the ground, allowing Bloor and Yonge's sidewalks to be cleared of construction materials and platforms and netting installed several stories above the podium, enabling full pedestrian activity.

These pics by @someMidTowner show the platform above the sidewalks which had already been reopened with Marshall's in full operation while there were still 20 stories left to build on the tower:

phdVf96.jpg

@someMidTowner

033Zi9G.jpg

@someMidTowner

Andaz Hotel is planned to open in 2023:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.02.08 PM.png

So it goes to reason that if the hotel from floors 4 to 16 will be open, the retail podium below them will be open as well. Apple took close to a year to build their relatively straightforward new store at Eaton Centre and almost three years to renovate their Fifth Avenue store which was far more complex. Apple at The One is going to be a flagship so I'm expecting somewhere in between. If they're to open in 2023, they'll want to get started ASAP.

Last edited:
So setting up for a big pour on the new floor of the main tower while waiting for the new crane base to cure over on podium side I gather.

Last edited:
There are structural elements like the staircase, elevator and potentially a platform, none of which are listed in The One's blueprints because they were never intended to be built by Mizrahi — only placeholders are included and explicitly labeled as such. Given the large structural components involved, these will need to be done before the podium is enclosed with glazing and can take close to a year, long before things like wall framing, electrical, data and finishings will begin, which will happen after the podium is enclosed.
Look who's back on the balcony (sorry, "platform") thing. Now they're going to take possession early construction to take a huge vacant space and make it ready for a slightly less vacant space with tables and shelves? C'mon

Proof? Anywhere? Nope.

Though I'm sure it's "imminent".

There are structural elements like the staircase, elevator and potentially a platform, none of which are listed in The One's blueprints because they were never intended to be built by Mizrahi — only placeholders are included and explicitly labeled as such

For the 156th time

THERE👏IS👏NO👏BALCONY👏/👏PLATFORM👏BEING👏BUILT👏

For the 156th time

THERE👏IS👏NO👏BALCONY👏/👏PLATFORM👏BEING👏BUILT👏

HOW👏 DO👏 YOU 👏KNOW?

The blueprints explicitly state that the anchor tenant has their own design team. Whatever Apple has plans for, are not a part of the building construction and therefore not included in these blueprints or permits which will be submitted and obtained separately as have been with their previous stores.

img_3960-jpeg.312180

Nor you, nor I have access to Apple's plans. We can only go by Apple's own design precedents and hints from what was left by Mizrahi's team for Apple's. There are data risers going to the "third floor". For what? They're going to hang a display up there, 2 stories above people's heads? Precedent shows that their displays are mounted at floor level for Today At Apple presentations. If there is no floor up there what do you propose the data risers are for?

Unless you're prepared to share what source is giving you such certainty, then expect speculation to continue based on what is known and what we can see in existing blueprints and the built form.

Back