Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

That's very interesting and true for a lot of people, I'm sure. Traveling in space is something some people are perfectly fine with. Astronauts do it all the time and work outside the space station. I'm thinking that's a no go for you?
That's a completely different thing. For one, knowing a "fall" won't kill you takes some of the fear away. Secondly, having a secure tether tied to you should take care of any residual fear.

That's a completely different thing. For one, knowing a "fall" won't kill you takes some of the fear away. Secondly, having a secure tether tied to you should take care of any residual fear.
Good point. Space is very different. It would also help a lot of people would build actual Starships with all the creature comforts, instead of the tin can rockets they are designing right now. Oh well, baby steps.

Good point. Space is very different. It would also help a lot of people would build actual Starships with all the creature comforts, instead of the tin can rockets they are designing right now. Oh well, baby steps.
One of the worst things about growing old is the constant reminders (thoughts?) that one won't be around to see interesting/exciting changes being discussed. Some of us don't have time for baby steps. :(

I have done a lot of work on scaffolding, catwalks and occasionally tethered on beams very high up. After about a week on the job you get used to it especially when focused on the work at hand. Maybe interesting to note is when you don't have any prominent vertical or horizontal visual references makes balance/work much more difficult.

That's so sad. I feel for you. But you are seeing many great towers go up and the One especially. :)
One last off-topic response, if I may: I've seen plenty of change, which is why I hate to miss out on future changes. This was Toronto when I first arrived from Italy..

1617384944784.png

I have done a lot of work on scaffolding, catwalks and occasionally tethered on beams very high up. After about a week on the job you get used to it especially when focused on the work at hand. Maybe interesting to note is when you don't have any prominent vertical or horizontal visual references makes balance/work much more difficult.
I can echo that. I've done a pile of high rise work, but my experience has always been that because my work slowly moved up the tower I just sort of gradually adjusted to the work. It would get a bit jarring if I had to run to a different site for a service call, but even that was something you get used to

One last off-topic response, if I may: I've seen plenty of change, which is why I hate to miss out on future changes. This was Toronto when I first arrived from Italy..

View attachment 309745
That's unbelievable. I hardly even recognize the city, aside from the lake and the Royal York Hotel. You have been through a lot. Thanks for sharing this, Vinny.

Back