Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Meh, I don't see the issue with having this particular intersection mostly shadowed. Bay & King has been mostly shadowed for decades and it's doing fine.

Besides, there's tons of other places that will still get full sun, remain largely open and that are fairly close to Yonge & Bloor (Rosedale/Moore Park ravines, Queens Park). Lots of places to get some natural Vitamin D in the core if you look for them.

Meh, I don't see the issue with having this particular intersection mostly shadowed. Bay & King has been mostly shadowed for decades and it's doing fine.

Besides, there's tons of other places that will still get full sun, remain largely open and that are fairly close to Yonge & Bloor (Rosedale/Moore Park ravines, Queens Park). Lots of places to get some natural Vitamin D in the core if you look for them.
There are even places in Yorkville that get decent amounts of afternoon sun. Like the patio at the Pilot :)

Im sorry but shadowing is such a frivolous concern compared to housing affordability, artificially suppressed interest rates, stagnant wages and artificial intelligence absorbing the jobs of future generations.

Shadowing is #richneoliberalproblems

Furthermore the stunning streetwall of the gorgeous masonary buildings at Yonge and King wouldnt have been allowed to have been built under todays rediculous planning requirements.

Even from a long distance this ONE will stand out:

Toronto Model 02-22-21 Skyline.png

Unpopular opinion: I really like shadowing because it gives a dense Manhattan feel to the city, which I really like

People opposed to it, call it shadow. Those who seek it out, call it shade. I always pick the side of the street with shade but my preference for indirect sunlight has nothing to do with Manhattan. Even at the beach, I'll be the one under a parasol.

When I hear that a tall building will create a shadow my reaction is usually 'yes please... and thank you'.

Last edited:
People opposed to it, call it shadow. Those who seek it out, call it shade. I always pick the side of the street with shade but my preference for indirect sunlight has nothing to do with Manhattan. Even at the beach, I'll be the one under a parasol.

When I hear that a tall building will create a shadow my reaction is usually 'yes please... and thank you'.
found the vampire

I quite agree with you lol

100%. I'm also in the vampire club.

So much of Toronto is a hot, blazing, oppressively bright, sun-scorched environment in the summer. Even a lot of our parks are too sunny and don't have enough trees for my tastes. I get some people like the sun and the heat, but I find being out and about in Toronto in the summer often quite overwhelming and unpleasant and I cling to the shade where I can while walking. This will also only get worse as climate change continues.

Unfortunately, like morning people, it seems the sun-lovers run the world most of the time.

Even a lot of our parks are too sunny and don't have enough trees for my tastes.

Yes! I've been thinking that since forever. The inadequate tree cover in many of our parks makes them a waste of space, frankly. That being said, I would prefer diffuse shade from robust tree cover to the solid shade from buildings.

Yes! I've been thinking that since forever. The inadequate tree cover in many of our parks makes them a waste of space, frankly. That being said, I would prefer diffuse shade from robust tree cover to the solid shade from buildings.
Too much sun? OK
c59ece1333d9a874999cdadc39ba535f35-29-simpsons.rsquare.w700.jpg

*sauce

And it's only going to get hotter too. I understand people not wanting their houses to be shadowed 24/7 but streets and even park areas could use the shade. Not to mention, when everything around you is shadowed it often doesnt feel that dark, you still can feel like it's a warm sunny day without being boiled in direct sunlight.

Back