Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

One can only hope that 9 extra stories shouldn't be a deal breaker for city hall. Let this baby soar.

But how much "shadowing" would an extra 9 stories add to an already tall building?

For that answer, see my post here with the shadowing study images:

Wording doesn't sound that bad. Reading between the lines it seems to me that this will likely end up higher. Whether they get their 338m height Im not sure. But it sounds like the city is willing to let them go up somewhat.
Developers rarely need to be concerned much with the wording in Preliminary Reports. They are merely lists of things to be considered. What is included in the Preliminary Report may be quickly resolved during the planning review process, or it may become a sticking point from which Planning will not budge. It's the Final Reports where language is more specific, less generic, as that's where the City's conclusions are recorded. In between the two reports, the developer might make revisions to their plan to satisfy concerns raised by Planning, if Planning is not satisfied with the items they've listed in the first report after reviewing them thoroughly.

I don't know whether to be more excited about the hand carved stone or the massive three story tall panes of glass that will clad the podium. Apple really doesn't like seams. They rebuilt the Fifth Avenue cube at the cost of many millions just so they could reduce the glass panes from 106 pieces to only 15.

Is it for sure that Apple will be building a flagship in this building? I've only seen speculation.

Is it for sure that Apple will be building a flagship in this building? I've only seen speculation.
Doubt it, I'm convinced it will be a Shoppers Drug Mart flagship store because we all know Toronto needs another one lol.

In all seriousness though if these panes of glass which are rumored to be 3 stories high for this store ever break how much will that cost to replace and how difficult would it be? Yes I'm sure they will look stunning but it seems very risky and expensive to go so big.

I'm pretty sure that glass will be quite strong in whatever they'll do with it. As in, one would need to drive a truck through it to get it to break. And hopefully not tinted *natural* green to cut costs like we've seen with other signature projects...

Doubt it, I'm convinced it will be a Shoppers Drug Mart flagship store because we all know Toronto needs another one lol.

In all seriousness though if these panes of glass which are rumored to be 3 stories high for this store ever break how much will that cost to replace and how difficult would it be? Yes I'm sure they will look stunning but it seems very risky and expensive to go so big.
Quite frankly, I don’t think Apple cares much about the cost of their flagship stores.

A decade ago, replacing a single pane glass at the Sydney store (at that time the largest glass Apple utilized) cost $million to replace.

The store in Portland that was damaged over the summer requires a mobile crane to replace the glass.

Snowy Friday morning
292782B5-2DD7-410A-B89B-20E0C83BBC13.jpeg
7DD7B7B0-4018-4EC6-BB23-5412944BF979.jpeg

The visible progress this week is the south podium (with the heritage facade), which has grown to 5 stories. 2 more to go I believe.

The visible progress this week is the south podium (with the heritage facade), which has grown to 5 stories. 2 more to go I believe.
They are laying the rebar for the fifth (and final) floor. Next would be the elevator core then the roof. Maybe 3 weeks until the south podium is structurally complete?

They are laying the rebar for the fifth (and final) floor. Next would be the elevator core then the roof. Maybe 3 weeks until the south podium is structurally complete?
In this picture from the database, there are 3 floors above the heritage facade. 2 of the 3 floors are now up. Also, as far as I can see from the actual construction, the first 3 floors of the south podium align with the 3 floors of the heritage facade (relatively low ceiling heights).

The One.jpeg

Back