Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

28C53452-3EBC-4233-82E7-512D190717D6.jpeg
147B05E2-CA07-4A12-8DDC-27F3464BA8BB.jpeg
C1A69F6C-3761-4DDE-9819-12BC674F4840.jpeg

It is for the best that Apple discussion continues here:

As @AlvinofDiaspar correctly pointed out, we've spent the last year watching the construction of an intricate foundation and iron work whose sole purpose is to create a three story open retail space with no central pillars, to satisfy the requirements of its primary retail tenant. We're watching the construction of Toronto's first exoskeleton building solely because that primary retail tenant requires an open space at ground level. Sorry to break the news to you, but you're commenting on a thread about the construction of a Norman Foster designed Apple Store and the tower sitting on top of it.

This has nothing to do with Apple the consumer electronics company. This is about Apple the architecturally obsessed company with a thing for beautiful staircases and elevators, an obsession for stupidly expensive materials, a penchant for perfectionism in its finishes and a showoff attitude for innovative engineering in the buildings that represent the company to the world.

On any other thread, speculation of what comes next is common and encouraged. So, we will speculate on the arrival of the first piece of hand carved Castagna stone, to the delivery of the massive panes of glass, to the black hoarding going up, and in the final days on the parade of ficus trees going in.... just as we'll comment on the cladding and glass arriving on site for the tower portion. The podium of this building will dominate street life and determine how pedestrians experience The One when walking by. It's an integral part of the building and a primary driver of why it was engineered the way it was.

Now, let me get back to tracking Castagna Stone orders that should be on a ship on its way to Toronto from Italy as we speak since Apple takes possession of the space when the central crane comes out before Spring.

IMG_1859.jpg

As @AlvinofDiaspar correctly pointed out, we've spent the last year watching the construction of an intricate foundation and iron work whose sole purpose is to create a three story open retail space with no central pillars, to satisfy the requirements of its primary retail tenant. We're watching the construction of Toronto's first exoskeleton building solely because that primary retail tenant requires an open space at ground level. Sorry to break the news to you, but you're commenting on a thread about the construction of a Norman Foster designed Apple Store and the tower sitting on top of it.

This has nothing to do with Apple the consumer electronics company. This is about Apple the architecturally obsessed company with a thing for beautiful staircases and elevators, an obsession for stupidly expensive materials, a penchant for perfectionism in its finishes and a showoff attitude for innovative engineering in the buildings that represent the company to the world.

On any other thread, speculation of what comes next is common and encouraged. So, we will speculate on the arrival of the first piece of hand carved Castagna stone, to the delivery of the massive panes of glass, to the black hoarding going up, and in the final days on the parade of ficus trees going in.... just as we'll comment on the cladding and glass arriving on site for the tower portion. The podium of this building will dominate street life and determine how pedestrians experience The One when walking by. It's an integral part of the building and a primary driver of why it was engineered the way it was.

Now, let me get back to tracking Castagna Stone orders that should be on a ship on its way to Toronto from Italy as we speak since Apple takes possession of the space when the central crane comes out before Spring.
I strongly agree with you that the construction of The One is to satisfy the needs of the Apple Store. By doing so, it makes the building that much better.

I can't wait to see the Castagna Stone orders and I can't wait to marvel at the completed product with my very own eyes.

What I have posted earlier is to redirect discussion about Apple products.

I strongly agree with you that the construction of The One is to satisfy the needs of the Apple Store. By doing so, it makes the building that much better.

I can't wait to see the Castagna Stone orders and I can't wait to marvel at the completed product with my very own eyes.

What I have posted earlier is to redirect discussion about Apple products.

I don't know whether to be more excited about the hand carved stone or the massive three story tall panes of glass that will clad the podium. Apple really doesn't like seams. They rebuilt the Fifth Avenue cube at the cost of many millions just so they could reduce the glass panes from 106 pieces to only 15.

I have to agree with the above. The ground floor of The One is specifically designed with apple in mind.

Given the massive size of the floor there is no doubt there will be balconies or varied levels within the apple store.

All their flagship stores have various levels, spiral staircases etc.

Adding to the fact that is store is obviously going to be the main component that effects the public realm around the building, I think it's safe to say it's one of the most important aspects of the building and has the potential to be one of the most striking as well.

The impact the apple store alone will have on the street level is incredible and in the midst of a pandemic, its a rare cause for optimism and excitement.

So, about the height increase, I see the thread title has been changed. Are we that certain it will be approved? Does anyone know when the decision could be made?
Still pending I gather.

I finally found some views of the amenities (Taken from The One's official site). I didn't realize it's 9000 sq.ft of heated outdoor space, including the heated pool. That's major!

View attachment 299367View attachment 299368
I was able to extract the second render, without the foreground stuff:
1612932544100.png

I also found this render of the residential sky lobby, which may well have been previously posted, but wasn't in the database:
1612932857072.png

images source

I don't think the amenities floor is high enough to avoid the apartment slab to the south.

AoD
Not even close. The amenities floor is 30.35m high, so roughly the height of a 10-storey building. That apartment is 20 storeys tall. The top level is also not going to cantilever above the third floor as the outer walls of the podium extend all the way up to the roof terrace..

Not even close. The amenities floor is 30.35m high, so roughly the height of a 10-storey building. That apartment is 20 storeys tall. The top level is also not going to cantilever above the third floor as the outer walls of the podium extend all the way up to the roof terrace..
That rendering is from when in 2015 the south podium was planned to be 11 double-height floors tall, with the amenities up on the 12th floor deck. It was proposed to be taller than the UofT residential building to the south at that point. Should the rendering still be on the official website? Maybe not.

Back