Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

For palms to work you generally need temps to not drop below -10 ever. As this week is proving.. we aren’t anywhere close to there yet. The low pretty much every day this week is well below -10.
This guy has been growing them in his back yard in Toronto for some time. It takes a whole lot of work though. We're not nearly there yet. He provides regular updates throughout the winter. His last was from two weeks ago. This is from August...

Full yard update end of August - YouTube

There are palms in Cornwall (England); Windmill palms, Dwarf Fan palms and others. Windmills can survive down to about -20, though need to be protected when younger.

Record low temperature in Cornwall is -9, and it happened in 1987. It rains most of the winter.

For palms to work you generally need temps to not drop below -10 ever. As this week is proving.. we aren’t anywhere close to there yet. The low pretty much every day this week is well below -10.

Correct. The only 2 places in Canada besides the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island where palms may be possible decades from now are the southern Okanagan and southwest Nova Scotia. They have the mildest winters outside those 2 areas and the least temperature variation. Even there the possibility of a freak cold snap every 5-10 years is real.

Last edited:
There are palms in Cornwall (England); Windmill palms, Dwarf Fan palms and others. Windmills can survive down to about -20, though need to be protected when younger.
There are some in Vancouver and Halifax as well. Those two cities are moderated by the ocean though so they don’t get the extremes we do.

toronto’s average winter climate is increasingly looking supportive of palms, but it still gets extremes that are below what’s acceptable.

I snapped this photo in James Gardens about five years ago. I know nothing about it other than where I took the photo, and that it was summer at the time.

DSC00825.JPG

There are palms all over the UK and ireland.

1BE isn’t aging well. It’s nice up close, but by far, it’s pretty forgettable. I’d rather 1BW be the star of this corner. Which it naturally will be.

They take it out in the fall
And as far as I am aware, it's not indigenous to our local area.

There are palms all over the UK and ireland.
Mostly is Southern parts because the way the Gulf Stream works. Thus, it doesn't get brass monkey cold like it does here in the Winter...despite being on a more Northerly latitude.

Last edited:
And as far as I am aware, it's not indigenous to our local area.

Mostly is Southern parts because the way the Gulf Stream works. Thus, it doesn't get brass monkey cold like it does here in the Winter...despite being on a more Northerly latitude.

Definitely not native.

On the climate..............not exactly............The Gulf Stream is a contributing factor........but.......not the way most people think.

Definitely not native.

On the climate..............not exactly............The Gulf Stream is a contributing factor........but.......not the way most people think.

Maybe I should of said sorta... :(

Let’s keep this build centric.
...consider this an intermission discussion while we wait for those next 4 supercolumns to be installed. And one which was caused by relevant renders posted depicting The One zoning into different locals. >.<

Back