Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

A view from inside the tower crane of the column installation

@Contra - you have been summoned...
😅 Been with family but when the bat signal is lit I must oblige...

Based on the height compared to the previously completed portions of the building I actually think we're seeing some supports that sit just below the fifth level with the tops of these columns more or less reaching to level 5. They're certainly taller than 6 metres (at least from the photos I've seen) and the supports lineup with your image (which I've circled). Keep in mind my diagrams are best guesses based on all your great photos and interpreting the diagrams as best I can!

Artboard.png

The One- January 2.jpg

I still don't understand how these column sections are bolted together - there is hardly any space between the rebar to stick a bolt through let alone a wrench to tighten it.

Would love an explanation by someone with relevant professional background.

I still don't understand how these column sections are bolted together - there is hardly any space between the rebar to stick a bolt through let alone a wrench to tighten it.

If you look at Benito's views you can see the plates they attach to have a lot of holes for bolts. What also is hard to appreciate is that the bolts are likely a few inches in diameter, so they're pretty hefty on top of being numerous. Once all pieces are put together they also gain strength from the diagonal beams and floor plates to create a rigid structure.

Page 522 has some good closeups. It's tight but there is space. Drop the bolt in by hand from the top. Get the nut started by hand from the bottom. Tighten with an air ratchet.

Awesome pics of the column being lifted into place!

I got a chuckle out of one of the workers trying to man handle the column as if human strength could do anything whatsoever to that giant steel column! I can hear him saying "yup! Thats secure, perfect !" 🤣🤣

Back