Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Typically, permits are managed by the developer, I'm sure Mizrahi hired a permit expediter as many developers do for consulting that are suppose to help with achieving permits. Mizrahi is also in control of the ultimate design decisions of the project therefore any changes or progress to design/permits is ultimately on their signoff, (such as previous posts about the associated parkland on Dundonald which ultimately was on Mizrahi to turn over to the city).

I don't think Mizrahi Dev is prepared to take this project on by themselves, just on a staffing/planning perspective - they are their own worst enemy on holding up and making decisions. If Mizrahi was smart, they should have dismissed Clark after all the steel is complete and especially after the rearranging/dismantling of the tower cranes on that south podium. Best of luck to them as well.
Thank you for explaining and clarifying all that. /bows

Today.
5E6169FF-7019-4219-A42D-D6CF5825CA91.jpeg
3BFA66EC-C832-4ACC-A059-C735625A4CF8.jpeg
2FF5377C-B174-452F-9E18-25BA6693C171.jpeg

So I assume the orange tarp is to keep the curing concrete somewhat warm heating the slab from below. Next Thursday / Friday looks good. Overnight lows near 0C and no precipitation.

So I assume the orange tarp is to keep the curing concrete somewhat warm heating the slab from below. Next Thursday / Friday looks good. Overnight lows near 0C and no precipitation.
Yes and also to keep the snow from this morning to accumulate, they had the heat running last night and again tonight.

You don't need to heat concrete while it cures, I fact sometimes you need to keep it cold.

You don't need to heat concrete while it cures, I fact sometimes you need to keep it cold.

Sorry, but that is wrong. You absolutely need to keep the concrete warm, especially curing during winter months, when temperatures drop below zero. When pouring they often tent or provide heat-blankets to maintain and heat the concrete to prevent freezing. Sub-zero temperatures can cause freezing in the concrete, if left exposed, which is detrimental - causing cracking, heaving and other issues, not to mention a slab that unsafe.

Your comment could also just be trolling...so shame on me, I suppose.

Sorry, but that is wrong. You absolutely need to keep the concrete warm, especially during curing in the winter. Sub-zero temperatures can cause freezing in the concrete (concrete contains lots of water), which is detrimental - causing cracking, heaving and other issues, which will likely result in it being chipped-out and poured again.
I believe -15 C is the temperature where things get messy, but I could be wrong. Either way, the tarps are clearly there for good reason.

Sorry, but that is wrong. You absolutely need to keep the concrete warm, especially curing during winter months, when temperatures drop below zero. When pouring they often tent or provide heat-blankets to maintain and heat the concrete to prevent freezing. Sub-zero temperatures can cause freezing in the concrete, if left exposed, which is detrimental - causing cracking, heaving and other issues, not to mention a slab that unsafe.

Your comment could also just be trolling...so shame on me, I suppose.
That Slab looks like it's going to be more then a foot thick, it is going to give off a CRAZY amount of heat as it cures,, we aren't talking about a 5 inch slab and -20 here.

Frost forming on the surface of a fresh pour is what you want to avoid. After a few hours that moisture will be drawn back into the mass and things will be a lot safer. Also in this case those massive steel girders are a huge thermal sink. It makes sense to warm those up a bit or else they'll be stealing too much heat from the curing concrete.

That Slab looks like it's going to be more then a foot thick, it is going to give off a CRAZY amount of heat as it cures,, we aren't talking about a 5 inch slab and -20 here.
I am pretty sure contractors and such working on this are aware of all the issues here and taking steps to rectify anything along this line that comes up. If this building topples over though in its construction, I guess your concerns will likely then have more merit...

Edit: Have heard from a worker on site that, barring any delays, the 'big pour' is expected to happen on the night of the 19th into the 20th. So that's next Saturday night into Sunday morning.

P1210801.jpg

P1210810.jpg

Inside the abyss...

P1210808.jpg

A rising bucket of strange widgets via the crane...

P1210809.jpg

Edit: NOT the metal protrusions mentioned by @AlvinofDiaspar :)

P1210807.jpg

Curious name for a porta-potty: Super Save. (Time-saver for doing your business on your current floor of work? Just mind the sea of rebar getting there ...)

P1210799.jpg

Last edited:
(obligatory 'I'm new here' start to this question)

Is this how the whole building will go up? Large steel beams followed by scaffolding and "floor pours"? Because just this first floor has taken what has felt like months, surely there will be faster progress as this building grows, right?

Back