Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I have an interesting question. Does one who lives at this iconic address have to drive their car down the laneway that comes off of Balmutto Street in order to access the parking garage? Seems hardly iconic to do so. As I have been trying to figure out with the direction of the ramp of the parking structure that it is the only possible way into it.

On August 4th the LPAT amended the Section 37 provisions as discussed previously in this thread. The motion, for reference, is here.

THE TRIBUNAL having been advised by the Applicant/Appellant that, as a result of the building construction and the City’s requirement of an above-grade building permit, certain modifications to the Section 37 provisions are identified as necessary, and that the City passed a motion at Council’s meeting on June 29-30, 2020 in support of the minor amendment to the Section 37 Agreement and subsequently, the Parties jointly submitted that the revised Zoning By-laws (including the revised Section 37 provisions) meet the intent of the Decision and Order;

@Kenojuak - you seem to have the most up to date knowledge of what's required to get the above grade permit now. I believe it's just paying the millions of dollars required of the original section 37?

On August 4th the LPAT amended the Section 37 provisions as discussed previously in this thread. The motion, for reference, is here.

@Kenojuak - you seem to have the most up to date knowledge of what's required to get the above grade permit now. I believe it's just paying the millions of dollars required of the original section 37?

This is the LPAT finally formally passing the Zoning By-law Amendment into law. The previous approval was conditional on a few things such as the much detailed parkland dedication and Section 37 payment.

In June council voted to remove the parkland dedication requirement from the list of conditions, which is what was holding up the project. With that action, the developer has now gone back to the LPAT to show that all conditions have been satisfied. This means that the Section 37 payment has likely been completed as well.

The LPAT reviewed the documentation, agreed that all conditions have now been cleared as council amended the one condition that wasn't met, and formally passed the Zoning By-law into law. It can now be given a by-law number and be registered with the City Clerk into the by-law register, meaning that it is fully in force.

As the by-law will now be fully in force, the above grade building permit will now meet zoning requirements, and should be able to be issued.

Last edited:
I have an interesting question. Does one who lives at this iconic address have to drive their car down the laneway that comes off of Balmutto Street in order to access the parking garage? Seems hardly iconic to do so. As I have been trying to figure out with the direction of the ramp of the parking structure that it is the only possible way into it.
Yes, all vehicles (residents, hotel guests, and trucks for loading/unloading) will use the laneway to access the west side of The One.

Yes - that is correct. It's valet parking here with an attendant station at the rear lobby entrance.

I believe the building also has valet parking.

Ahh, ChesterCopperpot beat me to it...

If the conditions have now been cleared, get on with issuing the permits, having experience dealing with the City for the past 33 years sometimes they move slower the molasses in mid January.

Why is that not "iconic"? A garage door on Yonge or Bloor would be the dumbest use of prime retail space and I see no problem with driving around the back of the building to park. This is a total non-issue.

Aug 8
Lot of core and saw cutting taking place.
50213204192_38e931a9f4_b.jpg

50212934971_65832fb30c_b.jpg

50213204347_79fc6a6b03_b.jpg

50212405738_f41c04c1bb_b.jpg

50213204562_b6aae8f122_b.jpg

50213204677_46b7b2805b_b.jpg

50212406243_96605c67e2_b.jpg

50212406478_8d81bcc812_b.jpg

50213205422_1de99e9a25_b.jpg

50213205567_27887ff680_b.jpg

50212936516_71e9d38b58_b.jpg

50213205857_e6d9ac8a59_b.jpg

50212407163_22cc9ffdec_b.jpg

50212407493_34c0bc0585_b.jpg

50212937086_dc3aeabbb9_b.jpg

50212937306_a31465d28d_b.jpg

Is it me or is the building next door tipping over?

50212936516_71e9d38b58_b.jpg

pic: @drum118

Why is that not "iconic"? A garage door on Yonge or Bloor would be the dumbest use of prime retail space and I see no problem with driving around the back of the building to park. This is a total non-issue.
plus trying to drive a car through a full sidewalk of pedestrians on either Yonge or Bloor entering a garage is just asking for it..

If there's anything the uber-wealthy will appreciate about this address, it will be a discreet (and discrete) entrance to the lobby.

Richard Fuld of Lehman Brothers had the elevator to his office ready and waiting for him when he arrived, and it went straight up without stopping. The rich don't want the red carpet rolled out every time they leave a vehicle.

Personally I think the really dumb decision on this site with respect to vehicle access was to have parking ramps. This is such an obvious candidate for a robotic parking tray / stacker system, between the small site size and high revenues that can support innovation like this.

Personally I think the really dumb decision on this site with respect to vehicle access was to have parking ramps. This is such an obvious candidate for a robotic parking tray / stacker system, between the small site size and high revenues that can support innovation like this.

Agreed, specially if it's going to valet parking. What a waste of space.

...well, I suppose this gave us something to entertain us with in its development while Mizrahi sorts out his above grade permits.

Back