Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Did you just not even read the quote that you replied to? He's worried about endangering the lives of the crew, their families and the general public.
Apparently, if it's related to this site, but not actually about the engineering or design, some people seem to think it's off topic.

Did you just not even read the quote that you replied to? He's worried about endangering the lives of the crew, their families and the general public.

That is all good and well but there are two issues that some posters intentionally or otherwise are mixing:

1. The safety of the workers and their local community due to the virus.

2. The assumption that this site was still operating without the proper above ground permits to proceed given the new provincial rules regarding the virus.

The second issue is fair and I think merits discussion in this thread. The first issue should be discussed in the appropriate thread. To claim that this developer in particular is endangering lives when hundreds of other construction sites are still operating in the GTA is unfair. If someone thinks construction at this time is dangerous and should be stopped then it applies to all residential sites and not just this site regardless of the permit issue. In other words, if you are endangering lives it doesn’t matter if you have a permit or not.

omg... enough of the hyperbolic panic, unfounded accusations and shaming people for trying to earn a living and get on with their lives. if some people had their way we'd all be starving to death in order to avoid the virus. unreal.

omg... enough of the hyperbolic panic, unfounded accusations and shaming people for trying to earn a living and get on with their lives. if some people had their way we'd all be starving to death in order to avoid the virus. unreal.

My emphasis on the hyperbole of your own statement. As for the hyperbolic nature of this whole thing…can I direct you to some of the youtube or twitter accounts from health care workers? There are HCW on this very forum who may wish to weigh in on this as well.

Enough already. This thread is for The One and only The One. We have a thread for the virus. Take the conversation there.

I don't wish to litter this thread w/Covid-related posting. Its a very important subject, but we have both the thread dedicated to same; as well as applicable political threads.

I will therefore offer a single post in this thread on that subject.

The risk of outdoor transmission, where social distance is possible is low; and there is no evidence at this time to support community transmission from objects (ie. you touched a door handle that someone w/Covid touched.).

That doesn't mean I agree (or disagree) w/the political decisions related to the construction industry. I simply put that out there so that science and evidence inform opinion.

Next, merits of continuing construction aside, the CFR, or case fatality rate for those under 60 is well below 1%, nominally as per the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine.

Further, serological testing in Denmark indicates that case prevalence is almost certainly at least 10x than cases proven to date.

Thusly the CFR is reduced by a factor of 10, to less than 0.1% for those under 60.

All of which doesn't really change that work on this project can't reasonably be called essential; and that there is some increase in risk for those working on the site vs not working.

Whether the political choice was the right one is a matter of preference and risk-tolerance.

But to suggest a high probability of life-endangering risk to the workers is medically and scientifically unsound. Though some risk of increased transmission would be expected; and does suggest that appropriate protocols should be in place, including testing of workers whenever symptomatic, and in any event at semi-regular intervals, this would be true even if the construction were agreed on as essential.

Now, can we pretty please get back to talking about the projects themselves in these threads and take the Covid discussions to their designated threads.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have never posted on this thread and only have recently taken an interest in learning about this project.

Can someone please summarize for me what building/construction permits have been granted for this project and what permits still need approval if any?

Also, in light of the recent c19 and the effect on real estate can this project be delayed, modified or outright cancelled?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have never posted on this thread and only have recently taken an interest in learning about this project.

Can someone please summarize for me what building/construction permits have been granted for this project and what permits still need approval if any?

Also, in light of the recent c19 and the effect on real estate can this project be delayed, modified or outright cancelled?

Thanks
Welcome. I hope you find your "stay" interesting and that you learn something.

In summary, the site does not have any above-grade permits yet. This means, per the emergency order (O. Reg. 82/20, 30(ii)) that the site must be shut down while the emergency order is in place. Work is not allowed to continue. So this is definitely a delay. There were already previous delays because Mizrahi built most of the underground illegally, without appropriate permits, and was eventually ordered to stop work by the City. A number of conditions must be met before the City can give an above-grade permits for this site, so even after the emergency order is lifted, work cannot go above grade for a while. If you want more detail on all of these things, do read up in the thread as it is all there, discussed in great detail with links and documents provided, within the past few months.

You can search the status of building permits at this portal: http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/setup.do?action=init

And the same for the status of planning applications at this portal: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do

In both cases, just search "1 Bloor St. W.". If you have questions about what you find, let us know!

Any decision to modify or cancel the project is up to the developer. Delays are very expensive so there is definitely extra financial pressure on this project. Some people in this thread have speculated about cancellation but to be honest, no one has presented any actual evidence or rationale supporting this theory, so it's just chit chat at this point.

Anyways, welcome to the community of urban enthusiasts. Sometimes we bicker but mostly this is a great place to learn and share.

For what it's worth, some people are interested in architecture/construction so come to this forum but have no previous experience with how forums work (or specific forums as there's no universal forum law). The UT team has done a great job improving the layout of the site but it's still a ways from seamless new user experience (which becomes pretty clear when we keep running into this issue).

No one here today at the moment.
2988C603-1D4D-4D37-B0DB-911A998CE0A6.jpeg

Back