Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Why are you assuming they don't have permits? Can we tone down the negativity here please?

Kindly please read up the thread where this exact question has been discussed and explained in great detail, including the Section 37 provisions that must be satisfied before Toronto Building is legally allowed to issue an above-ground permit for this site. The biggest barrier appears to be that Mizrahi must demolish, remediate, and convey 14 Dundonald to the City as parkland dedication prior to any above-ground permit.

In addition, the City's online Building Permit Status portal shows that although Mizrahi has applied for a conditional part permit for above-ground structure (19 106142 STR 00), it has not been granted. Unfortunately I cannot link this directly because of the City's portal format but it is easy to look up using the link above. Just type in 1 Bloor Street West and search.

Furthermore, I contacted Toronto Buildings yesterday asking about this, in case the portal is not updated during the partial shutdown, and they confirmed that no above-ground permit has been issued for this site.

All of which is to say I and others are discussing a known fact: that this site does not have the permits required to continue construction under the emergency order (O. Reg. 82/20, section 30(ii)). This restriction was imposed in the amendment on April 3, which came into effect on April 5. So it is now twelve calendar days or nine business days of illegal work from Mizrahi -- and counting? Is the site still active?

It's been nearly 2 weeks since the province mandated construction must stop on residential projects that don't already have above-ground permits. If this project lacks the necessary permits and construction activities haven't stopped, are the authorities really that incompetent that they overlook this infraction happening at one of the most prominent sites in the entire province (again after 2 weeks)?

It is also shocking to me that Toronto Buildings is so incompetent in enforcing the rules. We have seen this many times across the City. This is the same Toronto Buildings department that allowed almost the entire underground of this building to be constructed without a permit. Others have detailed above in this thread how there was a huge delay between Mizrahi starting the illegal underground work, then the City finally cluing in and issuing a Notice to Comply, which Mizrahi ignored and continued building, until finally in December 2019 a Stop Work Order was issued.

Although with all of that said, it's not clear to me whether it should be Toronto Buildings or some other group such as bylaw enforcement or police that enforce the emergency order (O. Reg. 82/20) in Toronto.

It's true. There was absolutely no obligation to destroy the panels. The building wasn't a heritage building, but there was no reason to destroy the panels. They were attractive works of art that could have been displayed on site to commemorate the site's history or sold to a collector. Preserving them would have assuaged a lot of people's concerns about the demolition of Stollery's.

Councillor Wong-Tam was rushing to get the building designated. Mizrahi legally demolished the building to beat the City to the punch and ensure there was nothing left to designate. While it was legal, it revealed to everyone his attitude and approach on the project. Our suspicions about his unscrupulous nature have been borne out in the repeated violations of permit rules and now illegally ignoring the emergency order.

Last edited:
Why are you assuming they don't have permits? Can we tone down the negativity here please?

There's a city site where you can go and check the status of building permits - go here and plug in the address and you'll see what has and what hasn't been approved.

Kindly please read up the thread where this exact question has been discussed and explained in great detail, including the Section 37 provisions that must be satisfied before Toronto Building is legally allowed to issue an above-ground permit for this site. The biggest barrier appears to be that Mizrahi must demolish, remediate, and convey 14 Dundonald to the City as parkland dedication prior to any above-ground permit.

In addition, the City's online Building Permit Status portal shows that although Mizrahi has applied for a conditional part permit for above-ground structure (19 106142 STR 00), it has not been granted. Unfortunately I cannot link this directly because of the City's portal format but it is easy to look up using the link above. Just type in 1 Bloor Street West and search.

Furthermore, I contacted Toronto Buildings yesterday asking about this, in case the portal is not updated during the partial shutdown, and they confirmed that no above-ground permit has been issued for this site.

All of which is to say I and others are discussing a known fact: that this site does not have the permits required to continue construction under the emergency order (O. Reg. 82/20, section 30(ii)). This restriction was imposed in the amendment on April 3, which came into effect on April 5. So it is now twelve calendar days or nine business days of illegal work from Mizrahi -- and counting? Is the site still active?

It is also shocking to me that Toronto Buildings is so incompetent in enforcing the rules. We have seen this many times across the City. This is the same Toronto Buildings department that allowed almost the entire underground of this building to be constructed without a permit. Others have detailed above in this thread how there was a huge delay between Mizrahi starting the illegal underground work, then the City finally cluing in and issuing a Notice to Comply, which Mizrahi ignored and continued building, until finally in December 2019 a Stop Work Order was issued.

Although with all of that said, it's not clear to me whether it should be Toronto Buildings or some other group such as bylaw enforcement or police that enforce the emergency order (O. Reg. 82/20) in Toronto.

Councillor Wong-Tam was rushing to get the building designated. Mizrahi legally demolished the building to beat the City to the punch and ensure there was nothing left to demolish. While it was legal, it revealed to everyone his attitude and approach on the project. Our suspicions about his unscrupulous nature have been borne out in the repeated incompetence and violations of permit rules and now illegally ignoring the emergency order.
You are clearly biased, why should we take any word you're saying seriously, Mr. Perfect?

So under the emergency act people can be (and have been) fined for loitering outside, but the country's future tallest building violating the act for almost 2 weeks can get away with it? Can anyone confirm that there's actually construction activities on the site? I know we see a handful of workers in recent shots, but maybe they're just there for some maintenance work, which perhaps is permitted? The last time I was there (after the latest emergency act came into effect), it was during working hours on a weekday, and all the gates were chained shut.

You are clearly biased, why should we take any word you're saying seriously, Mr. Perfect?
Members have been very patient and done their best to explain the situation to you. Your response has been to belittle them. You are taking time off.

So under the emergency act people can be (and have been) fined for loitering outside, but the country's future tallest building violating the act for almost 2 weeks can get away with it? Can anyone confirm that there's actually construction activities on the site? I know we see a handful of workers in recent shots, but maybe they're just there for some maintenance work, which perhaps is permitted? The last time I was there (after the latest emergency act came into effect), it was during working hours on a weekday, and all the gates were chained shut.

You're right that the emergency order allows:
31. Construction and maintenance activities necessary to temporarily close construction sites that have paused or are not active and to ensure ongoing public safety.

I think we have seen a lot beyond that including new forming and concrete being poured. Here are two different posts from yesterday showing new elements being constructed. To me I do not see how closing a construction site could possibly include new concrete forming and construction two weeks after the emergency order. I haven't exhaustively reviewed older photos but to me these two posts from yesterday are sufficient to answer the question -- which is a good question.

I suspect that whatever work is going on is either part of the exception mentioned above OR is part of the permit they already have. I'm neutral on Mizrahi, but it's a scary thought that whoever is in charge of enforcing the emergency law is that incompetent, and even more so when the site had been shut down because of a previous (although unrelated) violation.

I also remember he had no obligation not to do that.
It's true. There was absolutely no obligation to destroy the panels. The building wasn't a heritage building, but there was no reason to destroy the panels. They were attractive works of art that could have been displayed on site to commemorate the site's history or sold to a collector. Preserving them would have assuaged a lot of people's concerns about the demolition of Stollery's.
Sure, but holding off would have given HPS time to evaluate and pass a listing or designation on the property. Something Sam did not want. In the end, we would have gotten largely the same building, but with the Stolleries facade taped onto the north side. No thanks.

Say what you will about fly-by-night demo jobs, but if they're done legally, I've really got no problem with them. Were HPS an easier department to work with, I'm sure you'd get more willingness on the part of the development community to do just that. Since they're not, however, they really are more part of the cause of, not the solution to, things like this.

You can stick to construction updates if you wish. Not sure how many of those there will be in the near future. I retain the right to comment on any aspect of the project and its developer including the ongoing blatant and public violation of a lawful emergency order during a generational crisis.

How exactly do you know he is breaking the law? Do you actually know they aren't allowed to be working or are you making up stuff based on a few photos you see here? If you are correct then call the police. Otherwise stop the constant ranting.

How exactly do you know he is breaking the law? Do you actually know they aren't allowed to be working or are you making up stuff based on a few photos you see here? If you are correct then call the police. Otherwise stop the constant ranting.
Oh my god, I have explained this in detail, with references and links, so many times that other members are telling me that I’ve made my point and to stop repeating myself. Please read up a few pages. I am not just “making up stuff” and “ranting”. I have called 3-1-1 as another member suggested. I have also spoken with Toronto Buildings which confirms the site should not be active. I am not going to bother the police about this. You are welcome to.

If you read up the thread and believe I’ve come to the wrong conclusion, please point it out and I will either explain myself further or admit that I got something wrong in my analysis. Thank you.

I don't know who you are or the others that are supporting your arguements. You could be right. Or not. You've made your point. If you think you are right then call the authorities. Constant ranting here is pointless and frankly annoying.

Yup, they’re definitely building above ground. They poured the elevator cores today. Mizrahi really doesn’t care whatsoever for the rules. He’s blatant about it too.

747F57B9-936A-4598-96BA-BD175FCB3D2C.jpeg
531A0EBA-1581-4DEA-957A-805CF250E4D5.jpeg

Permits? We don’t need no stinking permits!

Oh my god, I have explained this in detail, with references and links, so many times that other members are telling me that I’ve made my point and to stop repeating myself. Please read up a few pages. I am not just “making up stuff” and “ranting”. I have called 3-1-1 as another member suggested. I have also spoken with Toronto Buildings which confirms the site should not be active. I am not going to bother the police about this. You are welcome to.

If you read up the thread and believe I’ve come to the wrong conclusion, please point it out and I will either explain myself further or admit that I got something wrong in my analysis. Thank you.

i learned this the hard way... some people not only not care about the truth, but would much prefer to be ignorant than be shown something new... to them, if it's something they don't already think/know, it must be wrong...
but rest assured that many on this forum have benefited tremendously from the references and analyses you have provided!

Back