Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

There was not a new rezoning application, only a resubmission. Likely related to clearing those conditions. I'm not saying what is happening here is competent - just that there is no need to make up lies to try and make a bad situation look worse.

I have amended the word application to submission in my post.

The November 18/25, 2019 rezoning submission is significant and includes, among other things:
  • Revised ZBL
  • Revised architectural plans (bubbled changes on 21 sheets -- over half the set)
  • Revised civil plans
  • Revised landscape plans
  • Revised stormwater management report
  • Revised TGS checklist
  • Revised transportation impact study
All of which is to say that this rezoning and SPA are still very much under review and in process.

On top of not being zoned, Mizrahi needs NOAC or Statement of Approval to go above grade conditionally or on a full permit respectively. Add those to the list of things I provided above that must happen before this goes above grade. This delay is nowhere near resolved. (If it resolves promptly I will admit I was wrong.)

I really resent you calling me a liar especially when I am providing facts, information, links, and analysis based on experience in comparison to you just chirping on the sidelines adding nothing of value.

@innsertnamehere has explained in recent posts exactly what is happening, so no need to be perplexed.

Actually @innsertnamehere is basically just repeating what I laid out in detail above in this post, while also calling me a liar (see immediately above), so please give credit appropriately where it is due. This thread was speculation until I researched the matter and explained it in detail. I wasn't going to point this out -- happy to contribute to the discussion -- until @innsertnamehere decided to pick this fight.

I did not mean to offend, just encourage a member to read one of the posts which had some substance—and @innsertnamehere had the closest prior post.

In the meantime would appreciate it if you two would turn down the temperature, though. No need to go after others with pitchforks, especially when people are just trying to help.

But don't worry, as the apologists above explained, Mizrahi says construction is going to start again by the end of January so I am sure everything is control. ?

Zealotry takes all forms. The fact that you went on an anti-Mizrahi rant over several posts because I posted that I saw three workers on site speaks volumes.

20200207_125931.jpg

I’m a new member whose been following this thread for a while now. This building interests me for many reasons. The architecture, engineering, the size and A+ location. What is most evident to me in these posts is many active members seem to want, hope and then relish in any setback or complication that occurs. Why do you hate the developer so much? I for one am pulling for him! He has vision and guts! Is he perfect? Of course not! Are any one of you? I do know dealing with the city for permit or zoning related matters takes FOREVER! I can’t wait til they continue construction, as once completed I believe this building will become a beacon for Toronto’s skyline!

I’m a new member whose been following this thread for a while now. This building interests me for many reasons. The architecture, engineering, the size and A+ location. What is most evident to me in these posts is many active members seem to want, hope and then relish in any setback or complication that occurs. Why do you hate the developer so much? I for one am pulling for him! He has vision and guts! Is he perfect? Of course not! Are any one of you? I do know dealing with the city for permit or zoning related matters takes FOREVER! I can’t wait til they continue construction, as once completed I believe this building will become a beacon for Toronto’s skyline!
This is a fair comment and questions. I will try to explain my perspective.

I am not anti-Mizrahi. In fact I hope this project succeeds and sets a new standard for design and engineering excellence. I am a pro-development YIMBY person. I have no particular general feelings one way or the other about Mizrahi. His projects on Davenport came out very nice. I think The One is visionary and risky in a good way.

What I simultaneously believe is that to have your project arrive at above grade permits without zoning let alone other key milestones in place shows that the development management for the project has been bungled. An 8 week (and counting) delay with construction stuck at grade is very unusual. Personally I find it interesting to analyse and understand why that happened. I also started posting a lot in this thread because there was a lot of general speculation about why this was happening -- plus a solid chorus of people saying don't worry, Mizrahi is about to start again on January 31 (didn't happen), etc. So I did some digging and research and believe I laid out the most probable reasons why it is stuck and why it will take a long time to come un-stuck.

I do take issue with people who say, in this case: oh don't worry, delays are normal -- or it's all the City's fault, or whatever. As I said many times there is always a share of blame to lay at the City's feet but in this case I do think we have an example of a developer who did not do their job properly to align the resources and milestones to achieve what they had to and when. It is costing the project a lot of money. Time is money in development (meaning delays are very expensive). Also this project is only partially sold. Also as has been well documented in the news, it has a complicated capital equity and debt structure that may make it more vulnerable to delays and costs like this. All of these things are worth discussing.

Part of what we do on this forum is praise and criticize. This project deserves both.

I concur 1,000 %

Nobody hates the developer nor does anybody wish him harm. There is justifiable criticism being directed toward him and this project.

Nobody hates the developer nor does anybody wish him harm. There is justifiable criticism being directed toward him and this project.

You'd never know it by the years of spite and gleeful predictions of failure, overflowing buckets of dung dumped on the project - all here to see. I hope he gets everything he needs to move forward to completion of this magnificent project but fully expect the extreme prejudice to continue even after the PDI's commence.

No hyperbole there, nosirree! Very constructive, that. What about the lowering of temperature bit, a few posts up? Sheesh.

Why not issue him a Conditional Permit so construction can recommence? They can always withhold the occupancy permit if matters still aren't settled after 2+ years.... that way the developer won't go broke with everything at a standstill now....

Back