Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

To reiterate exactly the same data from my previous post, the unemployment rate in this country *is at its lowest rate since they started measuring the unemployment rate in the current way.*

But, sure, let’s just ignore facts and data and the progress that has been made and predict impending doom while we’re at it, because it just makes for so much better discussion.

I will have to agree with you, the economy in Ontario is doing quite well. Better than it's been in a very long time. There will always be global turmoil lurking in the bushes, and there will always be pessimistic/fearful journalists that try to predict the start of the recession/gloom. But for now, Ontario is doing VERY well. In fact, Canada as a whole is doing well. There are struggles in the natural gas/ oil sectors primarily focused in Alberta I do acknowledge that. But when you crunch the national data things here are doing awesome. Unemployment rates are at all time lows, wages are rising (not as fast as some would like), interest rates are rising which is the #1 sign that the economy is doing well, our trade is good, tourism is at all time highs, we have new industry expanding in Canada. It's a good time here despite the few struggles you may read about. Nothing will ever be perfect.

I will have to agree with you, the economy in Ontario is doing quite well. Better than its been in a very long time. There will always be global turmoil lurking in the bushes, and there will always be pessimistic/fearful journalists that try to predict the start of the recession/gloom. But for now, Ontario is doing VERY well. In fact, Canada as a whole is doing well. There are struggles in the natural gas/ oil sectors primarily focused in Alberta I do acknowledge that. But when you crunch the national data things here are doing awesome. Unemployment rates are at all time lows, wages are rising (not as fast as some would like), interest rates are rising which is the #1 sign that the economy is doing well, our trade is good, tourism is at all time highs, we have new industry expanding in Canada. It's a good time here despite the few struggles you may read about. Nothing will ever be perfect.
Yea just like the entire world, the BOOM has been created by massive debt and zero interest rates. That liquidity was forced into the stock market and real estate. That's all about to change. Canada has performed terribly the last 3 years but the government ran huge deficits keeping things moving. Grab hold of your wallet and hold on tight, things are about to get very ugly for the next 2 years.

Yea just like the entire world, the BOOM has been created by massive debt and zero interest rates. That liquidity was forced into the stock market and real estate. That's all about to change. Canada has performed terribly the last 3 years but the government ran huge deficits keeping things moving. Grab hold of your wallet and hold on tight, things are about to get very ugly for the next 2 years.

Canada has performed very well the past 3 years, not sure where you have been. Anyways, thanks for the upbeat forecast ;)

I think the point was more that if these are considered bad times then people will be very surprised in the future when actual bad times appear.

I never said these are bad times. But things are changing. It isn't as easy to find buyers for super lux condos...especially in Canada where it looks like our government is trying to penalize rich investors and slow the real estate market. We're also hearing more predictions of an "R" coming. So to say "But things are great now" doesn't really mean much. People don't even realize they're in a recession until it's too late.

I never said these are bad times. But things are changing. It isn't as easy to find buyers for super lux condos...especially in Canada where it looks like our government is trying to penalize rich investors and slow the real estate market. We're also hearing more predictions of an "R" coming. So to say "But things are great now" doesn't really mean much. People don't even realize they're in a recession until it's too late.
When young people are buying their first home for a million dollars with a 850k mortgage that's not fine, it's insane. The world is awash in debt up to their eyeballs at low interest rates. City of Toronto broke, province broke and the federal government the biggest joke of all. Yup We're doing great. The US claims to have a n unemployment rate of 3% when in fact it's 22%.

When young people are buying their first home for a million dollars with a 850k mortgage that's not fine, it's insane. The world is awash in debt up to their eyeballs at low interest rates. City of Toronto broke, province broke and the federal government the biggest joke of all. Yup We're doing great. The US claims to have a n unemployment rate of 3% when in fact it's 22%.

Source?

... the reason why unemployment is so low is because the amount people actually participating (has or is looking for a job) in the workforce is also among all time lows. And it's a similar story for Canada. Whether or not these are artificial lows is a point of debate.

... the reason why unemployment is so low is because the amount people actually participating (has or is looking for a job) in the workforce is also among all time lows. And it's a similar story for Canada. Whether or not these are artificial lows is a point of debate.

It's not a similar story for Canada. The labour force participation rate had a record low in the mid 70s, and since then, it's been between roughly 65% and 67%.

The one thing that is without dispute is that this is one of the most prime pieces of real estate in the Country. This project is actually worthy of that prime address so I wish its backers best of luck.

Development and construction are risky businesses in contrast to land holding which is fairly low risk. In bad times operators in the development and construction businesses get decimated. The intrinsic value of the land holding will endure

was the favourite project of all the members, one post related to the finances and no one has even bothered taking updates from last 3 pages.

Back