FB103B38-6F46-440F-8D84-97C5EA89C018.jpeg
8BA9B0C8-D6A7-4280-8DE9-BC9AC4503FF0.jpeg
CF5F8093-3021-45CA-9A8F-E341CC750BAB.jpeg
85C48DF7-E8ED-4211-ADD9-E2DEBB563680.jpeg
02E5F5A8-A1B9-4249-BE4B-6FDD95DDE732.jpeg
B2A2F8CD-D529-4B69-BCA2-2651030495F0.jpeg
5F838012-3FD6-43C5-8BC4-6B687E447463.jpeg
8D6AA364-EF48-4003-8C11-A830E70AE43F.jpeg

I haven’t been following The One closely in recent months. Is the plan still to have retail open while the rest of the tower is still under construction?

Yes. Retail is supposed to open a year earlier than the residential. Once the podium is done they will use the roof as a staging area as well. There is an amazing podcast episode on this building, its land assembly, design, financing, etc. in the Commercial Real Estate Podcast. Look for the March 2nd episode.

What does this mean? Im not familiar enough with commercial financing lingo to give a proper statement.
Well, I am not an expert, but from following this thread for the past few years, here is my basic understanding.

Mizrahi doesn't have the money to build something like this. He is a (with no negative connotation attached) an up-start developer. To undertake a project like this, Mizrahi needed to court investors.

Sometime ago, one or some of those investors walked. Seeing as construction proceeded anyway, it appeared that everything was fine with the project financing.

But, that bridge loan seems to hint that Mizrahi is unable to meet his cash flow needs for this project's construction, which is worrying.

then how the hell is he affording all that? got an expensive crane, all that expensive equipment for the construction and all the work is happening at very quick pace.

construction financing is standard in the development industry - the vast majority of builders cannot afford to build their developments with cash. even bridge financing happens regularly.

what is unusual is the public nature of the loan advertising. It means that a lot of the larger institutional lenders have probably turned away from Mizrahi, and he is looking for cash pretty desperately.

construction financing is standard in the development industry - the vast majority of builders cannot afford to build their developments with cash. even bridge financing happens regularly.

what is unusual is the public nature of the loan advertising. It means that a lot of the larger institutional lenders have probably turned away from Mizrahi, and he is looking for cash pretty desperately.

Not a good sign at all. This project may end up being a big hole in the ground, there must be a curse with the One Bloor address. I remember the same thing happened to the neighbour tower, and it was sold to Great Gulf and scaled down a bit. Looks like this may be a possibility here as well.

I think it gets capped when it hits street level just like Trump and 1 Bloor E did.
By then it will already be way over budget. It is currently behind schedule which means contractors will have likely submitted change orders which = higher costs. As an experienced commercial GC I can tell you that speed almost always equates to dollars. CIBC Square demonstrates this perfectly.

Asking for clarification here: is the ”Mortgage Deal of the Week” reproduced in post 5292 in effect an ad seeking a second mortgage for bridge funding or an announcement that such an agreement has been reached? Thanks in advance.

Back