Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Hahaha, the only bystander getting injured here would be one looking for it...Get over it, ...it was an old updated bldg. with no historical value

View attachment 86160

So, if a piece of whatever they are knocking down (and it's stone) happen to fall on the pedestrians below - as in the pic - they are only "looking for it" right?

AoD

Hahaha, the only bystander getting injured here would be one looking for it...Get over it, ...it was an old updated bldg. with no historical value

View attachment 86160

Just because no one got injured doesn't mean it couldn't happen and I already said it isn't about the heritage value of Stollery or the demolition that was conducted here specifically but, the act of going ahead without the proper permits and safeguards in place.

Ideally, Toronto would have a completed inventory of heritage properties but, we don't. I don't see anything wrong with the city conducting a heritage impact study when a development applicaton is submitted. It has happened so many times for so many applications and everyone has played by the rules. That he had a demo permit is irrelevant for this situation when it's impossible to demolish the building safely without occupying the public street. The demolition of Inn on the park, for example, could be safely contained to its property. This really reminds me of how a child would react.

So, if a piece of whatever they are knocking down (and it's stone) happen to fall on the pedestrians below - as in the pic - they are only "looking for it" right?

AoD
Wrong, smart people avoid walking too close to what they believe is dangerous,
He had a permit for demolition, but did not have the proper roadside staging permits, oh well I'm sure he wasn't the first and wont be the last

Wrong, smart people avoid walking too close to what they believe is dangerous,
He had a permit for demolition, but did not have the proper roadside staging permits, oh well I'm sure he wasn't the first and wont be the last
An equally valid argument: smart people install protective scaffolds so that other smart people don't have to avoid walking close to buildings.

You just picked one section of my posting - it was basically about how excellence cannot be used as an argument to do whatever one wants. Just because I support this project (by my favourite firm, at that) doesn't mean what he has done is "right" in his rush to demolish. Also, what does it tell me about a person willing to engage in that, re: "good faith"?

AoD

Apologies. that post was meant to have a picture included in it *embarrassed*

re: excellence is about the actual execution
Nobody can compete with this guy, so why even bother.

bret-hart.jpg

Attachments

• bret-hart.jpg
    bret-hart.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1,405
You should try that line of argument in the court of law and see how far that gets you.

AoD

Quite far actually, depending on the specific circumstances. It's called contributory negligence.

(my comment is not meant as my condoning any developer from doing something unsafe, merely a comment on the law - people do have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect themselves, even in the face of others' negligence)

Quite far actually, depending on the specific circumstances. It's called contributory negligence.

(my comment is not meant as my condoning any developer from doing something unsafe, merely a comment on the law - people do have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect themselves, even in the face of others' negligence)

I am curious as to how it will apply in a case like this - given there are pedestrians below.

Apologies. that post was meant to have a picture included in it

No worries :) Though in the context of *this* forum, I'd see Mies, Foster, Dieter Rams...

AoD

I am curious as to how it will apply in a case like this - given there are pedestrians below.
AoD

Just as speculation or a hypothetical, as I did not personally witness the demolition, but if it was loud with pieces visibly flying off into the sidewalk area such that a reasonable pedestrian might think "I should really take a different route" but instead an individual ignored the visible danger and walked along that sidewalk and was hit by a falling piece of concrete, they would be partly at fault for their injury. Probably not a large part - the apportionment might be 90% some combination of the developer/contractor/individual tradesperson's fault and 10% the pedestrian, but the pedestrian would share a degree of the blame and lose out on compensation to the degree that it was their fault.

Totally late to this convo, but can someone explain to me where all these comments about them demolishing this building unsafely came from?

From what I understand they had a demo permit. So they are entitled to demolish whenever they see fit. Lots of sites in the city are demo'd without hoarding covering the side walk, especially low rise (see the Grid demo, they only have a chainlink fence up too) Sorry if this has all been mentioned previously. 224 pages of comments is a lot to catch up on.

can someone explain to me where all these comments about them demolishing this building unsafely came from?

From what I understand they had a demo permit. So they are entitled to demolish whenever they see fit. Lots of sites in the city are demo'd without hoarding covering the side walk, especially low rise (see the Grid demo, they only have a chainlink fence up too) Sorry if this has all been mentioned previously. 224 pages of comments is a lot to catch up on.

From some people and a councilor
even though the city issued a demolition permit some figured that by withholding any new permits, the city could fast track a historical designation,
Well it didn't happen and many got pissed off, now they bad mouth the developer and any one that stands for this wonderful project......too bad, bring it on:)

even though the city issued a demolition permit some figured that by withholding any new permits, the city could fast track a historical designation,
Well it didn't happen and many got pissed off, now they bad mouth the developer and any one that stands for this wonderful project......too bad, bring it on:)

Let's not BS here - there is acknowledgement that he has the right to tear the building down- at issue is that he didnt follow the rules entirely, went ahead and did it. And looking back at it - what is the rush? Have we even started digging yet?

Great article by Alex B at the time - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...do-more-to-save-its-heritage/article22612796/

Compare and contrast this antagonistic approach to 1BE - where a portion of the window deemed having heritage vallue was actually preserved through community effort, and everyone was happy enough:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/1-bloor-east-dead-and-buried-bazis-2s-varacalli.748/page-128

AoD

Last edited:

So what if the city withheld permits to conduct a heritage assessment. (designation is determined by the assessment) That is their prerogative as leaders. This is a wonderful project and I hope it gets built. All fingers crossed as the challenge is monumental for someone his scale to pull it off beyond the highly sought out retail Again, that doesn't condone a developer having a hissy fit over their decision. Permits also exist to protect him.

The rush was to prevent this project from getting stuck in the city's beurocratic jam made from NIMBY-berries.

Back