Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I like the design and look forward to refinements as we go along. Great to see this coming to Toronto. It's not merely a box... the structural elements entail something more subtle and complex than that. It has a certain grandeur without being inanely ostentatious.

Pretty decent looking building and about what I was expecting, though I think One Bloor is still the better/more interesting building.

On another note...
I get that there's a lot of engineering that goes behind constructing these relatively skinny supertall buildings, but it sure doesn't look like it'll be very stable looking at how the diagrid comes together at the base. Of course I suppose a reinforced concrete core will take care of that, but that'll also take up a significant amount of interior space.

It's rarely the architects fault. It's the developers who cheapen things down. We have many buildings designed by international architects.

We do but I think we need more. My problem with the Toronto architects is the stuff they propose all look similar to me. We need people from outside the city to bring more fresh ideas and creativity into the mix.

Brian Gluckstein just stood up and gave essentially a big thumbs up to what he sees as similar to the Columbus Circle development in New York (near where he lives for part of the year) and which was transformative for that area.

Then, Harry Rosen just stood up and said thanks to Mizrahi for doing a great job with what he sees as Toronto's most important street (Bloor).

I get that there's a lot of engineering that goes behind constructing these relatively skinny supertall buildings, but it sure doesn't look like it'll be very stable looking at how the diagrid comes together at the base. Of course I suppose a reinforced concrete core will take care of that, but that'll also take up a significant amount of interior space.

Where is the building core anyways? I can't really see where it is from the ground floor renderings of the tower portion. Maybe that's what that odd elevator stub is about - for some kind of sky lobby?

AoD

Last edited:
Looks like a similar number here today to what were here for Westbank last week. 500 to 600? Maybe even slightly more?

Brian Gluckstein just stood up and gave essentially a big thumbs up to what he sees as similar to the Columbus Circle development in New York (near where he lives for part of the year) and which was transformative for that area.

Then, Harry Rosen just stood up and said thanks to Mizrahi for doing a great job with what he sees as Toronto's most important street (Bloor).

Interesting, I always thought of the Columbus Circle development/the time warner centre when reading about this project and the retail component.

I'm excited for Toronto! We are getting better designs for the new proposals coming out and we have a more renewed focus on transit that I've ever seen before. Now if we could focus more on our public realm.

One thing is true, the values of western exposure units at 1 Bloor just dropped 30%---Before some of the floors are even poured!

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised how positive the reaction has been at the consultation. Words like "visionary" being thrown around quite often, applause erupting at the positive comments. I think the city is definitely maturing.

That is something I wonder about too. Wasn't the Holt Renfrew Tower at 50 Bloor Street West chopped from 277m to 230m because of shadowing on the Jesse Ketchum school yards?

If The One gets approved at 317m, I can see Holt Renfrew (literally right across the street) going to the OMB to get back the original 277m.

It's right across the street yes but the northern face of The One is something like 100m further away from the school yard than the northern face of the Holt Renfrew skyscraper. The property line fronting Bloor is at least 400m away from the yard vs approx. 290-320m away, deepening on how far back the HR proposal extends into the lot. Percentage wise, that's 25 to 38% further. Seeing as how The One is 38% taller I'm guessing that according to the shadow studies its just within acceptable tolerances.

10 underground levels? Not only it's the tallest in Canada, but also the deepest.

In terms of number of levels absolutely. In terms of depth that's not for certain yet, so far it's only been stated to be "more than 30m". Scotia has the current record at 110ft/33.5m below ground.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised how positive the reaction has been at the consultation. Words like "visionary" being thrown around quite often, applause erupting at the positive comments. I think the city is definitely maturing.

Thank God... KWT's initial comments weren't encouraging..

Good to see the citizens maturing, but has the city? I wish for once they wouldn't look at planning like a zero-sum game where numbers need to fit their tiny little ledgers and ideas in order to be considered 'approved'.

This is an underused site at the intersection of our two subway lines (there are realistically only two) with monumentality, top notch architecture and 'metropolitan' level heft.

There is really no other site like this in the city.

Support from the public isn't a sign of the city maturing. It's a sign that this proposal is more palatable to people, likely based on location and the quality of the proposal.

Back