Mechanical -- 2 floors
Residential -- 29 floors
Mechanical -- 1 floor
Residential -- 33 floors
Amenity -- 2 floors
Mechanical -- 3 floors
Retail -- 8 floors

That's 81 floors by my count.

Alsi, 560 units divided by 62 residential floors is 9 units per floor. Given the apparent floorplate size, that's not a lot of area for units that must average over $1 million each.

Last edited:
Anyone raising concerns about how he will fill 8 floors of pricey retail space? This is Toronto; the Canadian retail world is much smaller and weaker than the US.

But I'm liking all the proposals that are coming out so far this year. The designs are finally getting better. I think Toronto developers need to start using more outside architects if they want their buildings to stand out.

It's rarely the architects fault. It's the developers who cheapen things down. We have many buildings designed by international architects.

Trying to get the number of floors to add up to 80 without success:

Penthouse -- 3 floors
Mechanical -- 2 floors
Residential -- 29 floors
Mechanical -- 1 floor
Residential -- 33 floors
Amenity -- 2 floors
Mechanical -- 3 floors
Retail -- 8 floors

That's 81 floors by my count.

From my count you have one too many mechanical levels.

It's rarely the architects fault. It's the developers who cheapen things down. We have many buildings designed by international architects.

And sometimes the Design Review Panel too. I still recall the proposal for a tower next to the Distillery District that the DRP admitted was "world-class", but still rejected.

And sometimes the Design Review Panel too. I still recall the proposal for a tower next to the Distillery District that the DRP admitted was "world-class", but still rejected.

It wasn't a cheapen things down in that case - the hotel project didn't go ahead due to significant opposition. Besides, the DRP is advisory.

AoD

Mizrahi is saying that they want to have the retail open in 2018, so they'll be trying to get the podium built ASAP, with the tower to come over the following 2 years.

From my count you have one too many mechanical levels.

According to this slide, there will be 2 mechanical levels just below the penthouses, one in mid-tower, and three just above the retail floors. Added to the residential, amenity and retail levels, that's 81 floors.

S0t54iV.jpg

"International Brand Retail Experiences" - that's what Mizrahi wants for the retail here, citing Chicago's Michigan Avenue as an example of what he wants to offer in the podium.

“What we want to do is make sure that we hear from the community and go through a proper planning process and the official statutory process. Anything short of that is not acceptable,†Wong-Tam said.

That's totally reasonable, and is worth repeating over and over again. The community/public should have their say.

As much as people here will look to shit on KWT as often as possible, she is doing exactly her job by ensuring that the proposal goes through the correct process, and reassuring the public of that.

I will now await all the people who are upset that she would do her job and weigh in. I mean, how DARE she do her job and ask that the developer stick to the legal process?!

Uhh.. All new development proposals that do not conform to existing zoning or the Official Plan must go through a proper statutory planning process for approval before they can be built. KWT is just grandstanding by implying there are developers that don't go through the proper planning process. And yes, appeals to the OMB is a legal option allowed by the Planning Act. What Mizrahi is doing, although not required, is engaging the community early on, which is a very smart move. I disagree with KWT's insidious remarks about other developers as they all follow the proper legal process. Just because you don't like the outcome of the process doesn't mean the developers conducted themselves illegally.

I doubt this will be built as proposed. 50 Bloor Street West was reduced in height by 45 meters (233m from 277m) at the insistence of city planning to avoid new shadows being cast on Jesse Ketchum Park. This has been a policy the city has been fairly consistent on so I fully expect 1 Bloor West to also be chopped down in height to protect any new major shadow impacts on the park. Since the city has been consistent, it will probably be defensible at the OMB should the developer appeal. Now, what would case real fireworks, is if the city allows 'The One' to be built at the proposed height and it casts major new shadows at Jesse Ketchum. Morguard, the developers of 50 Bloor Street West, would probably want the same treatment given to Mizrahi.

Back