Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I can see tons of school children coming from all over the province to see the crushed Stollerys Stone in the landscaping that dogs pissed on. Will there be a historical plaque?

I like it as a building, even though it's essentially just another glass box but wrapped with a nice diamond design, but after the hints we were getting I was expecting more. It almost sounded like this was going to either be something evoking older-style iconic buildings (i.e. Empire State), or newer iconic buildings (i.e. The Gherkin). But...it's a box with cool diamonds around it. I do like it, but after the hype....it's alright.

They plan to create public art using HD LEDs to "liven up" the area. Also, green walls

XrEgW77.jpg

I feel bad for the design team working with him. Apart from having money galore to put into the project's budget, he must be a pain in the ass to work with / design for.

"Can everything be covered in gold and brass and look as tacky as possible?"
"Mr. Mizrahi, just let us take care of the design, please."

Well, I am not complaining if it is gold a la Apple - it's relatively untacky.

AoD

I can see tons of school children coming from all over the province to see the crushed Stollerys Stone in the landscaping that dogs pissed on. Will there be a historical plaque?

LOL! It was a joke... That isn't a real quote!

I like it as a building, even though it's essentially just another glass box but wrapped with a nice diamond design

Except it's not. There are no buildings I know of in Toronto to date that have a structural system quite like this design, and I can't think of many projects in Toronto that have a public atrium space like the one promised for this project.

Last edited:
Except it's not. There are no buildings I know of in Toronto to date that have a structural system quite like this design, and I can't think of many projects that have a public atrium space like the one promised for this project.

Well, it does remind me of Leslie Dan. Different scale of course. The angled escalator is definitely suggestive of HSBC and Hearst as well.

Interesting bit from Globe article:

In design terms, Mr. Mizrahi will be stretching even further. The condos he built on Davenport Road are what builders often call “traditional” – in this case, a version of the limestone buildings of Haussmann’s Paris, stretched upward and capped in glass. Their design, by the local firm Page and Steele, is competent at best.

That, Mr. Mizrahi said, suits his own taste. But for 1 Bloor, he said, his firm interviewed a number of international architects, including Robert A. M. Stern, arguably the world’s leading designer of historicist towers (such as Toronto’s 1 St. Thomas). When they commissioned drawings of an 80-story Art Deco-style tower, “it didn’t fit,” Mr. Mizrahi said. “I quickly realized that architecture and what we do has to fit into context.”

re: Green Wall

Not sure if there are any examples of it applied outdoors - not sure if that would work in Toronto.

AoD

Last edited:
But I'm liking all the proposals that are coming out so far this year. The designs are finally getting better. I think Toronto developers need to start using more outside architects if they want their buildings to stand out.

Back