Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

In complete agreement. Not impressed at all.

I feel bad for the design team working with him. Apart from having money galore to put into the project's budget, he must be a pain in the ass to work with / design for.

"Can everything be covered in gold and brass and look as tacky as possible?"
"Mr. Mizrahi, just let us take care of the design, please."

Retail on both sides in Orange, with atrium in centre in green:

wTPB2mm.jpg

Retail is described as being a jewel box. The retail portion is column free.

22 foot high ceilings.

I've got NIMBYs sitting next to me including someone from the Yorkville neighborhood association. They keep making negative comments and its so annoying.

Just thinking about how it would be interesting to see a steel structure rise in this city, especially for residential construction.

Saying that while he laughs his way to the bank - and pretending to do the city a favour. He continues to strike me as an individual with no class whatsoever.

Excuse me? He is actually taking a big financial risk here. He has to find a multi-millionaire buyer for each of the 560 units. This has to be a major portion of the top-end condo market in Toronto -- look how long it took to find buyers for the bigger units at the other large hotel/condo towers, and those involved far fewer numbers.

Last edited:

Thanks! This was an interesting quote... he will need to hire some pretty experienced people to do the general contracting in house.

Building on that experience, he plans to likewise run the construction of 1 Bloor – expanding his company’s staff to more than 100. This is, as he acknowledges, a potentially risky move. A few homebuilders in the GTA have their own high-rise construction divisions, but most hire major construction companies. “I’m very passionate about the details,†Mr. Mizrahi said. “If I could find a construction company that would worry about the details in the same way, I would hire them. But I can’t.

They've done a wind study. The retail portion has been designed in a modular fashion, to reduce wind speeds on sidewalk level. They expect it to be less windy than it is today.

I've got NIMBYs sitting next to me including someone from the Yorkville neighborhood association. They keep making negative comments and its so annoying.

Its always funny sitting beside one of those in the meetings, the other day I was in a meeting with a guy who made a comment about how the people who supported the project must have been hired by the developer..

Excuse me? He is actually taking a big financial risk here. He has to find a multi-millionaire buyer for each of the 600+ units.

You make it sound like the man is running a charity.

He's a tremendously wealthy developer who, as planned, will make a killing off this project (which is fine) and is choosing to speak to portions of it like the heritage "monument" as a gift to the public (which is over the line of 'very poor taste').

His ass is covered. I'm glad he wants to do a good job and create something good here, but it's not a gift to the city, by nature of the fact that it will make him a pretty penny. Gifts don't do that.

(Also, who do you think he's taking that big "risk" for? You? Your family? The public? Or because he is a businessman? Just another question to put things into perspective for you.) Again, not saying that it makes him a bad person that he's a developer or that he's rich. But explaining why talking about this as if it is in any way a "gift" to the public is really tasteless.

Last edited:

Back