Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I'm wondering if anyone has given any thought when the time comes on how to efficiently demolish a 1000 ton block of dense rebar and concrete suspended 20 meters in the air. Of course it can be done but I imagine future demolition of this structure will be an engineering feat in itself. We should have a frank discussion about it in 2300. :)

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone has given any thought when the time comes on how to efficiently demolish a 1000 ton block of dense rebar and concrete suspended 20 meters in the air. Of course is can be done but I imagine future demolition of this structure will be an engineering feat in itself. We should have a frank discussion about it in 2300. :)
Buildings of this size will never feasibly be demolished. I know you're being largely sarcastic, but these buildings will last so far into the future. Even if we continue to build higher and higher, there's so much space around and so many short buildings I find it hard to believe any supertall will be demolished unless there are significant structural problems that can't be remedied.

I'm wondering if anyone has given any thought when the time comes on how to efficiently demolish a 1000 ton block of dense rebar and concrete suspended 20 meters in the air. Of course is can be done but I imagine future demolition of this structure will be an engineering feat in itself. We should have a frank discussion about it in 2300. :)
A small vial of nano-machines sprinkled on top of the structure will dissolve it away like an unwanted wart...

...if we're having this discussion in 2300, that is. 😼

I'm just a lay person with zero experience in construction, but I read that the trend to demolish, and replace is changing. In fact, I'm fairly certain I read that no part of the original Empire State Building remains--it's all been replaced, beam by beam, etc. I realize that newer buildings are not constructed the same way (they are less rigid, and more durable), so I'm not sure what their potential to be long-lasting is.

I'm just a lay person with zero experience in construction, but I read that the trend to demolish, and replace is changing. In fact, I'm fairly certain I read that no part of the original Empire State Building remains--it's all been replaced, beam by beam, etc. I realize that newer buildings are not constructed the same way (they are less rigid, and more durable), so I'm not sure what their potential to be long-lasting is.

OT - but where did you hear that the original steel structure of ESB (nevermind even the facade) had been completely replaced? The only major case of replacement I can think of is for damage caused by a B-25 crash back in 1945. One can conceivably argue that older buildings are often far more overbuilt because of conservative margins than the buildings we have now. Structural steel protected from the elements easily last for a century. Now mechanical/electrical/HVAC systems are a different story entirely.

The "trend" away from demolition/rebuilding is in part driven by environmental concerns - concept of "embodied energy".

AoD

Last edited:
It would be great if The One had a Michelin Guide restaurant. It would be the first Michelin Guide restaurant in Toronto.

Michelin has never reviewed restaurants in Toronto; I think it's fair to say that there are almost certainly Michelin-worthy restos here now, but they simply haven't done reviews in this market.
I suspect that is because they are waiting on government here to pay them for the privilege.
An unfortunate trend started by U.S. cities and regions that wanted their restos in Michelin.
I could swear that's a conflict of interest......but I digress.

South Korea is also in on that game:

Buildings of this size will never feasibly be demolished. I know your being largely sarcastic, but these buildings will last so far into the future. Even if we continue to build higher and higher, there's so much space around and so many short buildings I find it hard to believe any supertall will be demolished unless there are significant structural problems that cant be remedied.

It's less than 50% taller than the demolished 270 Park Avenue.

In 70 years, when this tower interior layout is dated and low capacity at a prime intersection, there's a good chance it'll get a facadectomy.

Here’s a neat article by RJC on the structural engineering at The One, originally published in the Advantage Steel Magazine, Spring 2021 edition.
Link to article: https://www.rjc.ca/uploads/publishe...llest_Condominium_Tower_in_Canada_Q3_2021.pdf

Interesting except:

TOPPING IT ALL OFF
Connected to the caissons and basement columns are mega-columns that could only be possible with steel, spreading the tower’s load to the perimeter. The heavy structural steel will continue until the ninth floor, which is where the primary building structure will transition from composite steel and reinforced concrete to just concrete, stretching to the 85th storey. Steel hangers on a six-floor module will be installed
by Walters to support the corners of the building from Level 3 to the top of the tower, structural features which are accentuated in the facade detailing of the tower.
Also on the plate of Walters Group is the supply and installation of The One’s tuned mass damper. The shaping of
the tower’s massing on the mechanical levels will improve wind performance, but it will be the damper that ultimately plays the biggest role in controlling vibrations and movements.
“Walters has probably erected more tons of tuned mass dampers than any steel fabricators out there,” says MacLean. “They have a lot of experience in this area, so we were very lucky to have their expertise from the start.”
By spring 2023, when Walters scope of work is scheduled to be completed, more than 250 truckloads of steel will have been delivered to the downtown Toronto site, including tens of thousands of bolts, the heaviest being over 3.6 kg (8 lbs).

….

In summary, things should be picking up after they’re past the 9th level, and this should be structurally topped off sometime before/during Spring 2023.

OT - but where did you hear that the original steel structure of ESB (nevermind even the facade) had been completely replaced? The only major case of replacement I can think of is for damage caused by a B-25 crash back in 1945. One can conceivably argue that older buildings are often far more overbuilt because of conservative margins than the buildings we have now. Structural steel protected from the elements easily last for a century. Now mechanical/electrical/HVAC systems are a different story entirely.

The "trend" away from demolition/rebuilding is in part driven by environmental concerns - concept of "embodied energy".

AoD
I have no idea where I read it, and it's vague in my mind, so it may very well have been another building I read about. What I am sure of is that it said all crucial structural elements can be replaced, basically making it unnecessary to demolish a building.

A couple of photos today from the lane way.
CA83C60B-803B-4DA6-9A90-AE257357CAC8.jpeg
FC404C85-EA7A-429F-838F-191C0AA9C400.jpeg
31460692-0975-4CEB-A78D-CA728B571FB2.jpeg
8C9C13E0-2C8C-4B33-93D6-56505AEF9A01.jpeg

Michelin has never reviewed restaurants in Toronto; I think its fair to say that there are almost certainly Michelin-worthy restos here now, but they simply haven't done reviews in this market.
I suspect that is because they are waiting on government here to pay them for the privilege.
An unfortunate trend started by U.S. cities and regions that wanted their restos in Michelin.
I could swear that's a conflict of interest......but I digress.

South Korea is also in on that game:

Agree 100%. It would be nice if people stopped taking the Michelin Guide as gospel. Gauging a city based on how many stars an organization in France has decided to bestow is a little nauseating. Toronto has great food, restaurants, and an innovative food scene. I don't need Michelin to figure that out. Besides, 99.99% of people are not going to eat at a Michelin reviewed restaurant. It's the quality and appeal of these other restaurants that determine a city's standing when it comes to food. I stopped caring what Michelin thinks a long time ago.

We have taste buds that work. We don't need some organization telling us what's good and what's not.

Last edited:

Back