Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

The plan is to (at least it was) top out the south podium concrete structure - re-erect the yellow crane on that structure and take the center crane down - they need that center crane down before they can pour the level 5 transfer slab. If that steel is where it is (level 7 or 8) then there is a small lift left to level 9 which can be picked by the yellow crane from what I remember on its lifting capacity charts (max lift around 18600kg). The push could be for the south podium to top out - and then work steadily on the tower from there on out - but the tower level 4 formwork not showing up is interesting for sure. Again this was the previous plan - I am not sure if it has changed
Wow, a 1000' crane tower and load from the podium roof? That's one strong roof! Thanks for all the detailed info. I'm just surprised that they haven't started forming the columns considering the time is will take to build them up to the current steel height.

Well, that makes sense to me why there has been more notable focus on the podium business. And the complexity of this exchange as you have indicated may take a long bit to accomplish. Thusly, this is not evidence of shortage of supplies...rather lengthy procedures while they shift around building tools.

...but if my memory also serves me correct, I believe that may also be using main elevator core for their hoist elevators, normally reserved for outside of the building being constructed. Which may also be a consideration in all of this.
It probably is also due to safety that they are not placing steel above this level due to the reach of their lifts, (that could be completely wrong but I know I wouldn't want to work on an elevated platform at that height with good gusts of wind like we had yesterday).

As for the material hoist, if the plan hasn't changed, it is on the outside of the tower and on the back side of the podium, skipping across the podium roof. Installing elevators takes months - it wouldn't be a great idea to top out and wait on an installed elevator on either west elevator bank or podium freight elevator without a hoist running as the the project climbs. As for when the project is climbing, there are definitely some cool plans that were discussed about how to move workers faster up and down the building - just have to wait and see what they chose to do
Wow, a 1000' crane tower and load from the podium roof? That's one strong roof! Thanks for all the detailed info. I'm just surprised that they haven't started forming the columns considering the time is will take to build them up to the current steel height.
Yes, if that is still the plan, the podium roof should have a drop slab or transfer (thickened area) for the suspended crane base. As the podium begins to top - some really cool formwork should be showing up for those columns and main core walls so definitely take a look once that level 5 transfer slab is poured out - they may come earlier too.

It probably is also due to safety that they are not placing steel above this level due to the reach of their lifts, (that could be completely wrong but I know I wouldn't want to work on an elevated platform at that height with good gusts of wind like we had yesterday).

As for the material hoist, if the plan hasn't changed, it is on the outside of the tower and on the back side of the podium, skipping across the podium roof. Installing elevators takes months - it wouldn't be a great idea to top out and wait on an installed elevator on either west elevator bank or podium freight elevator without a hoist running as the the project climbs. As for when the project is climbing, there are definitely some cool plans that were discussed about how to move workers faster up and down the building - just have to wait and see what they chose to do

Yes, if that is still the plan, the podium roof should have a drop slab or transfer (thickened area) for the suspended crane base. As the podium begins to top - some really cool formwork should be showing up for those columns and main core walls so definitely take a look once that level 5 transfer slab is poured out - they may come earlier too.
These are not regular elevators, they are called skybuild. See UT story here.

These are not regular elevators, they are called skybuild. See UT story here.
Aw great! Glad they announced to use this system - These Skybuilds are only being used in the tower core not the freight or lobby transfers, since they run about $2-3mil to install on any project. Hoists will still need to be utilized for material, the Skybuild elevators will help alleviate the hoists from workers. I know those elevators, which are using the permanent cars, won't be carrying the 10-12' curtainwall panels up the building ;).

Aw great! Glad they announced to use this system - These Skybuilds are only being used in the tower core not the freight or lobby transfers, since they run about $2-3mil to install on any project. Hoists will still need to be utilized for material, the Skybuild elevators will help alleviate the hoists from workers. I know those elevators, which are using the permanent cars, won't be carrying the 10-12' curtainwall panels up the building ;).
Would they still need the external hoists or can they utilize the crane? I have seen in some buildings, though not as tall as this, where heavy loads are lifted by the main crane and they used some canopy attached to the floor plate for unloading.

They may very well
Would they still need the external hoists or can they utilize the crane? I have seen in some buildings, though not as tall as this, where heavy loads are lifted by the main crane and they used some canopy attached to the floor plate for unloading.

I am not involved with the project anymore but when I was, which is dating back to when I started the full scope of planning in 2016 up until about midway through last year, it was always the plan to utilize the hoists to move material, it's way more efficient. The elevators were strictly for moving people until the hoists are removed whenever that may be after they top out and they finish loading the floors with all the large material. Again all this could be changed. Scheduling crane time with a tight schedule for the cycle of forming walls, floors, and columns on this project - I'm not sure if it will work, but I can definitely be proven wrong.

Night shot from an hour ago.

PXL_20210303_032650995.jpg

For anyone that's curious, the podium south of the tower measures 26.75m x 31.21m, while the tower itself measures 31.2m x 31.2m. Solving the mystery, another The One tower will not fit in the podium section!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also, amazing angle @salsa
I still can’t get over how thin this building is going to be. For comparison, 432 Park Ave (which is 425m tall) has a floor plate of 28m x 28m. So while The One isn’t quite as thin or as tall it will stand out as a very skinny building, especially compared to its neighbour across the street. Let’s just hope the mass dampener works better than 432’s!

Back