Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

^ my friend y r u creating all that drama unnecessarily. if god forbid it's canceled or something it will be announced, till then take some rest.

When is the technical zoning by-law amendment being put into law (i.e. is it scheduled)? Is someone from the City holding it up?

No idea, but it is an LPAT approved zoning amendment so it wouldn't need to go to city council, if that is what you are wondering. Getting it passed would involving clearing whatever conditions the LPAT set out to clear before issuing a final order making it law.

Personally my guess is that Mizrahi is still tweaking the building program and was hesitant to pass a by-law locking in certain uses and densities, so the final by-law wasn't put in front of the LPAT for it to become law.

Of course that is just that, a guess.

There's also this article on CoStar about its work stoppage that came out today, although it's Paywalled:

[/QUOTE]

I'm a CoStar subscriber and just read the article. Just to confirm information already provided in this thread, here's a quote from the City:

"A stop-work order was issued for the 1 Bloor Street West development on December 12, 2019, because construction of the building's foundation system began without a building permit. Construction has now stopped, and the order will be lifted once the property owner obtains the necessary permit," a city official said via email in response to a question from CoStar News about the order posted at the site. The official said the site-specific zoning bylaw for the development is not yet in effect and will be going in front of the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal for approval."

The other interesting part is that they quoted Brad Lamb about the City permitting process:

"Each permit is time-consuming and a fight to get them. It's not easy to obtain them. They really scrutinize them, and it can be frustrating."

I understand why these reporters keep interviewing Brad Lamb, as he has name brand and gives good quotes, but it is frustrating for the rest of us in the housing industry that he is seen as our spokesman and typical developer when he is, I think, not as much of a good faith actor as most others.

Here are more quotes from the article:

Mizrahi, president and founder of Mizrahi Developments and a former dry cleaner in the city who has risen to fame in the Toronto real estate community with his condominium projects, did not answer a request for comment.

Lamb said a seven-week delay is meaningful and could come at an enormous cost. "It could mean millions of dollars," he said. "You've got a bank loan, and now your project is delayed. The interest costs alone are a big problem."

Ben Myers, president of Bullpen Research and Consulting, said his understanding is many of the smaller units in the project are now sold with the higher units being the last to be put on the market with prices well over $3,000 per square foot. "I think sales have slowed down significantly because [Mizrahi] sold all the small units, but the ones that remain are priced higher," said Myers.

Last edited:
So I reached out to www.MizrahiDevelopments.ca yesterday and this morning Sam Mizrahi sent me 2 emails.

#1:
HI Andrew, we are obtaining our above grade permits at this time with the City, as part of our phased permitting, as we reached grade faster than anticipated by the Cities schedule. We are anticipating the City issuing the above grade permits this month to commence work on the super structure, as they have just concluded their audit of the foundation works over the past 45 days and we are now just completing the Section 37 agreement to get registered on title to issue the above grade permits.

Sam Mizrahi
President

#2:

I thought you would enjoy the new Ad that is going out on this subject matter. Wishing you a great day.
Sam Mizrahi
President

He attached a PDF for me, I won't bother uploading it and posting it as it's a print ad, but it has some interesting stats that maybe some here were not aware of yet. And as it turns out my Sold % was pretty close to what it's actually at now.

AN ICON IS RISING
The tallest residential tower in Canada, designed by
Foster + Partners, one of the most innovative architectural practices in the world, is a feat of structural engineering.
An exoskeleton/super structure hybrid at Yonge and Bloor, its design allows for a maximum of sunlight to penetrate the interiors.
* Eight mega columns have footings more than
45 meters (148 feet) below street level.
* The tower will make use of 61,000 cubic meters of
concrete in total. That’s enough to cover the distance
from Toronto to Montreal if measured in wheelbarrows.
* Approximately 4, 500 metric tons of structural steel will be
used during its construction, the equivalent of 25 jumbo jets.
* The amount of rebar that will be used – reinforcing steel used as a tension device in concrete structures – is roughly 7,500 metric tons. That amount could wrap halfway around around the world.

OVER 75% SOLD – UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Someone gonna come in here and say Mr Mizrahi is wrong and they've actually been in touch with conscious this whole time through "undisclosed sources"? ?

Maybe we should lock this one up till things are back on track...

I expect people will still speculate or claim his email was full of lies. I'll take Sam's word over just about anybody's on here. Maybe I'll be called "cute" again for my 70% sold assumption I posted a week ago.

I expect people will still speculate or claim his email was full of lies. I'll take Sam's word over just about anybody's on here. Maybe I'll be called "cute" again for my 70% sold assumption I posted a week ago.

Sam Mizrahi sounds like a fast individual. He tore down the Strollery as soon as he got the permits. He started construction on The One even before he got the permits to construct above grounds.

Had he waited to obtain all the necessary permits, construction wouldnt have started till 2020.

Anyways, he will get the permit soon enough.

At least three workers in vests and hard hats on site today. I didn’t catch a photo of all of them, but they’re there.
89F77FDF-BDB3-47AF-9CA5-934DB8E05C9A.jpeg

At least three workers in vests and hard hats on site today. I didn’t catch a photo of all of them, but they’re there. View attachment 229784
No new permit has been issued for the site. There is an application for Conditional Permit, the review of which has not started.

As has been discussed above, it is extremely unlikely that construction will progress in any real way until all of the zoning-related tasks are completed including: resolution of outstanding application issues (there was a new rezoning application EDIT: submission filed in November 2019), negotiation and acceptance of a by-law and Section 37 terms by the City, submission and endorsement of a by-law at LPAT, execution and registration on title of a S 37 agreement, payment of over $40,000,000 of DCs and S 37 money, and -- this is is a big one -- completion of any items in the S 37 agreement that are required "prior to first above ground building permit" which often includes things like conveyance of parkland or other key S 37 provisions. I have heard that this site has an offsite parkland dedication but I don't know where.

All of this takes place in the context of conditional permit rules being significantly tightened and enforced for the first time in recent history. In fact there is a report coming before Audit Committee on February 10 which recommends even further tightening of the rules. This is not a context in which builders begging for a permit despite not meeting the rules are going to find success.

But don't worry, as the apologists above explained, Mizrahi says construction is going to start again by the end of January so I am sure everything is control. ?

What a gongshow. It has now been 8 weeks and 1 day since the stop work order.

Last edited:
No new permit has been issued for the site. There is an application for Conditional Permit, the review of which has not started.

As has been discussed above, it is extremely unlikely that construction will progress in any real way until all of the zoning-related tasks are completed including: resolution of outstanding application issues (there was a new rezoning application filed in November 2019), negotiation and acceptance of a by-law and Section 37 terms by the City, submission and endorsement of a by-law at LPAT, execution and registration on title of a S 37 agreement, payment of over $40,000,000 of DCs and S 37 money, and -- this is is a big one -- completion of any items in the S 37 agreement that are required "prior to first above ground building permit" which often includes things like conveyance of parkland or other key S 37 provisions. I have heard that this site has an offsite parkland dedication but I don't know where.

All of this takes place in the context of conditional permit rules being significantly tightened and enforced for the first time in recent history. In fact there is a report coming before Audit Committee on February 10 which recommends even further tightening of the rules. This is not a context in which builders begging for a permit despite not meeting the rules are going to find success.

But don't worry, as the apologists above explained, Mizrahi says construction is going to start again by the end of January so I am sure everything is control. ?

What a gongshow. It has now been 8 weeks and 1 day since the stop work order.
There was not a new rezoning application, only a resubmission. Likely related to clearing those conditions. I'm not saying what is happening here is competent - just that there is no need to make up lies to try and make a bad situation look worse.

Back