Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

She definitely isn't responding to any of the tweets directed at her over the past day or so about the Stollerys issue, but she is clearly still tweeting about other issues. Suspicious eh?

AoD

She's taking her time, crafting a response presumably. Tweeting responses to this issue is irresponsible at this point.

She did have the power to hold or at least delay the demolition permit given the buildings status of "intention to designate", which must first pass by her desk as per KWT's Motion on this very topic put before Council in 2012, which passed.

Yes, there is/was a pilot project to circulate demolition permits for potential (not listed or designated) heritage buildings (results coming back to Council this year http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.MM55.68)... so it will be interesting to see if this building went through that process and find out what happened behind the scenes. However the permit must be issued within the timeline (which I think may have been less than 30 days for this building given the small size - 15 days?) unless Council steps in with an intention to designate. I don't think anyone anticipated the demolition happening this way.. but perhaps if she did try to call a special meeting of Council there wasn't enough support. I'm sure whatever the situation, emails have been flying around all weekend.

Last edited:
I don't think that entail having workers direct their crowbar to architectural detailing. That goes way beyond removing the structure. Besides, preservation doesn't have to be preservation in situ and in full - elements of a building can be saved for potential reuse - One Bloor East as an example where the original developer went out of their way to do so.

AoD

You said it right there " went out of their way to do so" that equals spending more, developers are not in the business of spending more if they can avoid it, case and point exactly what is happening here.

You said it right there " went out of their way to do so" that equals spending more, developers are not in the business of spending more if they can avoid it, case and point exactly what is happening here.

And I would be very, very weary of someone not willing to spend more telling me that they will be building something iconic as part of their "sell" for this spot.

AoD

Last edited:
Wong Tam knows damn well that her "recommendation" letter is as good as fire wood, she's been in the game long enough to know better, she wrote that letter to show her constituents that she tried, its a bunch of total B.S, I've meet her in person a few times and have zero respect for the way she conducts city business.

She's taking her time, crafting a response presumably. Tweeting responses to this issue is irresponsible at this point.

What are you seeing that I'm not seeing on twitter? I just went on twitter and see two posts from her unrelated to Stollery's, and no one has tweeted her anything about Stollery's.

The demolition permit was issued, case closed. Until the city becomes more proactive about heritage preservation, all this handwringing is pointless.

Disgusting. I was fine with Stollery's being demolished for something substantive but all we've been given are wild promises from some two-bit developer who has never built anything bigger than 12 storeys and is suddenly promising 75 and Foster? Even if Mizrahi intends to deliver on everything he promises this is slimy and shitty behaviour that illustrates exactly why developers shouldn't be trusted with city building at all. Not because he knocked down Stollery's but because he did so in such a shady manner.

Look: whatever *any* of you think re the building's heritage worth or whatnot, to advocate this method of addressing the issue in an "I'd do it, too--it's worthless and in the way, so who the eff cares if it's jackhammered" fashion...you really need sensitivity training. Either that, or Toronto doesn't need jerks like you.

The demolition permit was issued, case closed. Until the city becomes more proactive about heritage preservation, all this handwringing is pointless.

Why pointless? Failures and the nature thereof serve as lessons for the future.

Back