Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Can you all imagine a modern day interpretation of the Art Deco buildings found in New York or Chicago?? I've been wishing for that for a long time......

A grander version of One St Thomas would be nice. I do like living in the Uptown, despite how panned the project has been on this site.

I hope for a tower than tapers in the top, or one with a crown - we don't seem to have anything like that except the TD tower.
Something more distinct, not a supertall box with a flat top.

Someone savvier than I could do this relatively easily with an outline on google maps or something, but I wonder what the floor plate will be for the corner of the site in order for the building to meet the tall buildings guidelines in terms of spacing with buildings next door and across the street.

"Tall building towers must be set back a minimum of 10m from side and rear property lines or the centre line of an abutting lane, measured from the external wall or exterior face of balconies. If a project includes more than one tall building, the buildings must be spaced apart so as to permit a minimum separation distance of 20m, measured from the external wall or exterior edge of balconies."

Skinny, I presume! Or maybe it won't be an issue.

50 UN Plaza in New York is a Foster building and from the description of the building on the website

The tower’s massing respects the height and scale of its neighbours. Its three slender volumes appear faceted in elevation, visually reducing the building’s scale, while emphasising its vertical form. Each volume extends into a series of deep bay windows, which maximise views and broaden the elegant living spaces within. The bay windows are unified by a delicate horizontal grid of stainless steel bands, referencing the refined New York Art Deco style of nearby buildings. The tower’s jewel-like quality is further enhanced by highly reflective panels, which run vertically between each of the bays.

Mb8cl.jpg

A grander version of One St Thomas would be nice. I do like living in the Uptown, despite how panned the project has been on this site.

I actually like Uptown though its attempt at classic Art Deco (if they even planned that) was certainly lacking. One St Thomas hit the mark pretty closely.

Found this Dolce Magazine article, Dec. 18th - "The One-Billion Dollar Building"

http://www.dolcemag.com/general-int...m-mizrahi-1bloor-east-condo-development/16929

Being a cornerstone of the Mink Mile, retail will also be a crucial component of the building’s street presence. Mizrahi explains that retail space is being custom designed with no columns or pillars obstructing the line of sight to house flagship stores from top international brands. He can’t say which retailers he’s in talks with, only that they’re “the ones†in their respective sectors.

Cue the obligatory UT Apple Store rumours :rolleyes:

Well - that rumour has more traction than others

Has Foster and Partners ever even made anything remotely Art Decoish or "classical" looking?

No. Foster & Partners are known for embracing technology and the contemporary. Anyone hoping for an art-deco throwback from them will be sorely disappointed.

And when Sam Mizrahi is talking about this being Toronto's Rockefeller Centre, he's talking about having that complex's impact on the city, not its architectural style. So yes, people should not interpret that Rockefeller Centre comment literally in that regard.

Back