Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Hyperbole much?

Just because it may be an outstanding design shouldn't allow a developer to ignore procedure and start jackhammering a facade without the necessary protection. It's no different than a developer hiring an arson. (my own hyperbolic contribution) The heritage value of Stollery's is irrelevant.

I don't agree that this project shouldn't go ahead but, I do have reservation and understand some of the NIMBY concerns. There's an awful lot of commercial space here and all the servicing is to be providing down a narrow laneway abutting the neighbouring condo. Traffic studies mostly consider flow. For example, they don't consider all the nuances of an idling truck waiting for to turn onto the street. It's downtown, so this is to be expected but, exactly how muchis the big question.

Fair enough, but there was nothing preventing him from demolishing Stollery; I don't think he violated any codes. He may have broken the spirit of the code, but perhaps he felt the Councilor was also not dealing in good faith in using Stollery's as a blocking tactic or design spoiler.

From my understanding, he had just a demolition permit. He didn't have the permits yet to occupy city property to do it and, because of that, the proper staging set up. I think it's quite fair to assume that he felt the councilor wasn't playing fair but, this is hardly how a developer should react. They are the representatives for the City of Toronto. It's their show.

Fair enough, but there was nothing preventing him from demolishing Stollery; I don't think he violated any codes. He may have broken the spirit of the code, but perhaps he felt the Councilor was also not dealing in good faith in using Stollery's as a blocking tactic or design spoiler.

It might be quibble - but he started demolition before he even has hoarding, and chose to demolish in a most "interesting" way. There is enough bad faith to go around.

AoD

I don't blame him. I respect his balls to be honest. It takes that kind of person to really push for something beyond mediocre.

Excellence does not equate to demolition without hoarding - especially when excellence is about the actual execution of the final product and not about how quickly you can clear a site before you even received project approval. Can't condone that.

AoD

So we'll learn the details of the final agreement between the city and proponent in the wake of the November OMB hearing - is that right?

Nobody can compete with this guy, so why even bother.

You just picked one section of my posting - it was basically about how excellence cannot be used as an argument to do whatever one wants. Just because I support this project (by my favourite firm, at that) doesn't mean what he has done is "right" in his rush to demolish. Also, what does it tell me about a person willing to engage in that, re: "good faith"?

AoD

Last edited:
I have to say, I have an intense respect (in the sense of, holy crap this guy knows how to get things done, not an agreement) for Mizrahi for the way he demolished Stollery's. He knew that the community was rallying to put up roadblocks so as soon as that demolition permit was issued, he had it knocked down in a weekend, construction hoarding be damned. You gotta respect the chutzpah.

I have to say, I have an intense respect (in the sense of, holy crap this guy knows how to get things done, not an agreement) for Mizrahi for the way he demolished Stollery's. He knew that the community was rallying to put up roadblocks so as soon as that demolition permit was issued, he had it knocked down in a weekend, construction hoarding be damned. You gotta respect the chutzpah.

Going further, the contractors knocked out the bits of the building (details) that are remotely worthwhile first. Chutzpah, it is - though ultimately I am not convinced he needed to rush to such an extent and still get what he wanted at the end.

From a governance perspective - what does the lack of consequences tells us about the system?

AoD

Last edited:
Obviously you're only looking at it from the Stollery's perspective. I wonder if you would have the same respect it he did this to a building you liked or a bystander was injured in his rush to demolish in violation of procedure.

Can you imagine if every development behaved this way. Downtown would be in utter chaos.

Hey, Donald Trump knows how to get things done (or so he loves to tell everyone at every opportunity) but that doesn't mean I would trust him with the nuclear codes. A few magnitudes down the scale, I feel much the same way about Mizrahi's stance toward heritage preservation. He ran roughshod over Stollerys and to me that was a clear injustice.

Just because Mizrahi is brassy doesn't mean he's wise. I want to see this thing get built but I don't think he automatically qualifies for pedestal status.

Obviously you're only looking at it from the Stollery's perspective. I wonder if you would have the same respect it he did this to a building you liked or a bystander was injured in his rush to demolish in violation of procedure.

Can you imagine if every development behaved this way. Downtown would be in utter chaos.

Hahaha, the only bystander getting injured here would be one looking for it...Get over it, ...it was an old updated bldg. with no historical value

upload_2016-9-13_14-1-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-13_14-1-41.png
    upload_2016-9-13_14-1-41.png
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 1,030
A few magnitudes down the scale, I feel much the same way about Mizrahi's stance toward heritage preservation. He ran roughshod over Stollerys and to me that was a clear injustice.

Just because Mizrahi is brassy doesn't mean he's wise. I want to see this thing get built but I don't think he automatically qualifies for pedestal status.

At least he is within his right to demolish - that part isn't in doubt. What irks me is the rush to do it at the expense of safety - and that's not for him to decide.

AoD

Back