Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Personally I think to reduce driving you simply charge more for the ability to drive. Could be tolls. Could be more gas tax. Could be increased parking fees. I have no problem with trying to encourage people to walk, bike or take transit. But for the crazy people who are willing to pay then they should be able to.

People with mobility problems often need their own vehicle because of the inadequacies of public transit. If you are elderly, walking or using transit (which usually involves a lot of walking) might be out of the question. There is a point where disparaging the use of a personal vehicle can become ableist.

Personally I think to reduce driving you simply charge more for the ability to drive.

That's the only way to do it. We already know that people are willing to pay with their time more than with their wallets. The easiest way to control the use of any limited resource is to dial in the price that results in the desired use.

But sadly, Toronto is still a city that is not quite ready to let go of the suburban fantasy. That's why we only pay lip service to the idea of wanting to reduce traffic issues. Meanwhile we continue to subsidize car use, while keeping public transit subsidies as low as possible, when it should be the complete opposite.

Who would have thought our first supertall would be at Yonge & Bloor. I would have thought somewhere in the core and not residential.

I find it really interesting that if The One is built, the tallest building in the city won't be visible from the classic skyline view taken by the lake; the one that everyone is accustomed to. But from the North, this thing will be seen for miles, it's really going to add to the 'big city' feel with a massive and slender skyscraper looming in the distance.

Great photo Kotsy. I can already picture structural steel rising from the site, I just have to imagine that the steel coming down is coming up :).

I find it really interesting that if The One is built, the tallest building in the city won't be visible from the classic skyline view taken by the lake; the one that everyone is accustomed to. But from the North, this thing will be seen for miles, it's really going to add to the 'big city' feel with a massive and slender skyscraper looming in the distance.

Great photo Kotsy. I can already picture structural steel rising from the site, I just have to imagine that the steel coming down is coming up :).

Too bad it will be looking like the way it is. Lets be honest, for Toronto's first supertall, this is below mediocre, especially compared to the mirvish towers. Let's just hope the design is changed enough for us to not even recognize these first renderings. Atleast it will make Aura look like a jewel. It is basically a slimmer longer version of the CIBC building in front of it. Now that I think about it, that would actually look better than what we actually got.

Too bad it will be looking like the way it is. Lets be honest, for Toronto's first supertall, this is below mediocre, especially compared to the mirvish towers.

The One is not Toronto's first supertall. If you find this mediocre, well...

Let's just hope the design is changed enough for us to not even recognize these first renderings. Atleast it will make Aura look like a jewel. It is basically a slimmer longer version of the CIBC building in front of it. Now that I think about it, that would actually look better than what we actually got.

My head hurts.

This building is not the first super tall to be proposed, but it is the first one to have any work done on the property where it's to be built. I have a feeling it will be the first one in sales and possibly the first under construction.

I am in Taipei at the moment and have had a number of views of Taipei 101. It is a stunning building in my eyes and lends distinction to what might otherwise be considered a dull skyline. The One will stand well short of Taipei101 both in height and architectural distinction, IMO. But I do like its proposed massing, the external bracing and the renderings of its atrium. I hope and expect it will be a plus for the Toronto skyline.

As an aside, I love the arcades on the Taipei streets, a feature I would like to see in North American cities, especially ones with snowy winters.

Personally I find Taipei 101 to be rather kitschy and looked like something Harry Stintson would get built if he had the money - certainly not a model I hope any project would follow.

AoD

Personally I find Taipei 101 to be rather kitschy and looked like something Harry Stintson would get built if he had the money - certainly not a model I hope any project would follow.

AoD

I was actually surprised how much I liked it when I saw it. I admit I had a similar reaction to yours when I saw photographs. Its proportions do work for me as does the relatively restrained colour palette in "real life". Still, it certainly would be kitsch in Toronto. In Taipei, perhaps not.

I will be taken to the observation deck on Thursday, by the way. Maybe my positives impression won't survive a closer viewing.

I was actually surprised how much I liked it when I saw it. I admit I had a similar reaction to yours when I saw photographs. Its proportions do work for me as does the relatively restrained colour palette in "real life". Still, it certainly would be kitsch in Toronto. In Taipei, perhaps not.

I will be taken to the observation deck on Thursday, by the way. Maybe my positives impression won't survive a closer viewing.

Unfortunately I find architecture in Taipei to be horrifying in general, and the notion of putting oversized "gold coins" as accent in a modern skyscraper is beyond belief. The tuned mass damper will be interesting to look at though.

AoD

Too bad it will be looking like the way it is. Lets be honest, for Toronto's first supertall, this is below mediocre, especially compared to the mirvish towers. Let's just hope the design is changed enough for us to not even recognize these first renderings. Atleast it will make Aura look like a jewel. It is basically a slimmer longer version of the CIBC building in front of it. Now that I think about it, that would actually look better than what we actually got.

Architecture is subjective, and there are probably many people who share your concerns or dislikes. While I don't find this design breathtaking, I prefer it to what is proposed at Mirvish+Gehry. Don't forget that this isn't a finalized design, as details are still being worked out. But if the renders are any indication, they are planning a landmark building, not just by height, but at street level as a retail/mixed use destination. The cost of the building and prices of the units will likely trump that of Aura, which is a nice indication that we'll be getting a 'no expenses spared' kind of building.
On the other hand, Foster and the X bracing are really the only reason why I believe in this design and this project. If neither one of these were present, I think would feel very differently.

Unfortunately I find architecture in Taipei to be horrifying in general, and the notion of putting oversized "gold coins" as accent in a modern skyscraper is beyond belief. The tuned mass damper will be interesting to look at though.

AoD

Agreed about the architecture in general, though I would just call it dull. You can't see the gold coins on 101 from the vantage points I've had. That may be an advantage. As I mentioned, I like the street level arcades. They have been a shelter in the 33-34 degree weather.

I take it you know Taipei. It's my first trip.

This building is not the first super tall to be proposed, but it is the first one to have any work done on the property where it's to be built. I have a feeling it will be the first one in sales and possibly the first under construction.

Funny you mention that, I walked past it today, and saw a huge, heavy duty excavator along with several workers, tearing apart what remains of Stollery's. I was under the impression that all work was halted until given the green light by city council, have I missed something (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last :confused:), or are they just ignoring the city and moving forward regardless? Is that even legal? I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the current design (I know what you're thinking, but to each his/her own) with the exoskeleton. It's tall, slender dominance and unique exterior will definitely add much needed character to our often drab, green or blue walled glass skyline. Being "unique" myself, I've always routed for the underdog, and while I despise over the top tacky, I honestly think this design has exactly what Toronto needs, a little flavour, kind of l what the John Hancock Tower does for the Chicago skyline, but meah, it's all good, if we all agreed on everything, this would be a really boring web site, and if anyone can fill me in on the building permit status for The One, it would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Back