Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Oh come on, the upside down building (sears building, thats what I like to call it) isn't that bad.. It'll be much better once that huge lot out front is developed by Ryerson in a few years too, I think its the next one on their list to be developed after the Health Sciences building on Church.

I like it too. I'm more and more convinced though that brutalism just doesn't work in an urban context. In an open landscaped setting these buildings are beautifully sculptural. In a city they're just brutal!

I like this building too, it would be a great podium for a taller tower, it does have a stunted presence though.

Not everything needs to have a tower sticking out of it.

There is nothing "stunted" about this building. Have you ever walked past it? It has a huge, exciting, looming presence.

I agree that'd I'd rather see an empty lot rather than an eye sore.

This is the eyesore I couldn't stand while living in merchandise lofts

222-Jarvis-Street-viewed-from-Mutual-Street-March-22-2011-IMG_3404.jpg

Disagree. I find this building quite beautiful.

Disagree. I find this building quite beautiful.

I do as well... I think that a variety of buildings representing all the different architectural styles this city has is a lot more attractive then replacing all with the modern glass of today, adds texture and is interesting visually to someone walking around.

Not everything needs to have a tower sticking out of it.

There is nothing "stunted" about this building. Have you ever walked past it? It has a huge, exciting, looming presence.

That's just my opinion. It's huge and stumpy, and very interesting. As I mentioned above I like it. Yes i have walked past it many times, I live within a few minutes walk of it.

I did not specifically mean to imply that it should have a tower extruding from it. Simply that a podium of this shape would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I'm also on board with liking that building a lot.

I like it too. There was a period when Manulife Centre was derided as Brutalist Bunker, which in fact is its blade-runner beauty. Sometimes yo just have to look at things without preconceived ideas. Concrete doesn't mean ugly.

And even if something is "ugly", why is that so bad? Ugly often equates to visually interesting, even if it's not soft and pretty looking.

There are also a lot of "pretty" buildings that are not good architecture, and a lot of "ugly" buildings that function very well for their intended purpose.

Back