Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

From an architect in a position to know: this tower was not designed by Sir Norman Foster. It was designed by Foster + Partners. His firm. He said it shows in the by the book design and little creative license that Foster himself would want to explore but that his team wouldn't be permitted to take.
Mizrahi doesn't yet have the experience or resources to gain the confidence of such a prestigious architect. The location might've gained his attention but the developer has probably kept him skeptical that this is worth his effort. I mean, Foster didn't even bother to be at the unveiling.
This could change if Mizrahi gets financing and approvals after which I would expect the tower to evolve. All said, I would not get my hopes up.

No reason for SNF to show up yet, he's no spring chicken and his firm is doing high profile projects everywhere.

So your reasons for skepticism include: a) getting approvals (I'm no expert, but I bet you're completely wrong on this one), and b) financing (perhaps he brings in a partner, but the location would make that easy enough). The fact they are still trying to get the HMV and Scotia property would suggest they're not too concerned. Why are you so negative on this one?

Cause it's not the hottest location in town...for them.

There's no way Holt's will give up its prime location. In retail location is everything and Holt's is in the thick of it, Holt's is synonymous with the thick of it.

I agree that the Bay bunker is a huge wasted opportunity and that development at Bloor/Yonge will extend high-end retail to Yonge (and south on Yonge eventually) but it will take another retailer to make this attempt. Saks would have been perfect, and I still can't fathom why they didn't opt for this location

Agreed. Holts needs to stay where it is. East of Yonge is a no-no. Since you aren't a newbie, your opinions may be taken more seriously than mine :)

And please, people, don't let this turn into the M+G thread. That really was awful how two members completely dominated that one!

From an architect in a position to know: this tower was not designed by Sir Norman Foster. It was designed by Foster + Partners. His firm. He said it shows in the by the book design and little creative license that Foster himself would want to explore but that his team wouldn't be permitted to take.
Mizrahi doesn't yet have the experience or resources to gain the confidence of such a prestigious architect. The location might've gained his attention but the developer has probably kept him skeptical that this is worth his effort. I mean, Foster didn't even bother to be at the unveiling.
This could change if Mizrahi gets financing and approvals after which I would expect the tower to evolve. All said, I would not get my hopes up.

Foster himself will have to sign off on it - but frankly this project probably isn't of a scale that he would take active charge of. He will show up in person for the ones he is (e.g. Apple HQ)

AoD

I'm wondering with all the space given to the build this building. Why isn't the highrise set back to the street. And angled on a twenty two and a half degree between Yonge and Bloor streets. This would give One Blood East some breathing space.
Having the skyscraper on that angle would really make it stand out on the corner of Yonge and Bloor intersection. The podium could have real high pillars with arches like the Tableau condo has on Peter street in the entertainment area. Which would straddles along both sides of the two main streets. Creating an all green atrium inside for the multi storey department stores.
As for the highrise part of this project. It would look real rich if the windows where frosted like the model. That would really make building stand out from a far.

I'm wondering with all the space given to the build this building. Why isn't the highrise set back to the street. And angled on a twenty two and a half degree between Yonge and Bloor streets. This would give One Blood East some breathing space.
Having the skyscraper on that angle would really make it stand out on the corner of Yonge and Bloor intersection. The podium could have real high pillars with arches like the Tableau condo has on Peter street in the entertainment area. Which would straddles along both sides of the two main streets. Creating an all green atrium inside for the multi storey department stores.
As for the highrise part of this project. It would look real rich if the windows where frosted like the model. That would really make building stand out from a far.

Lets pass this on to the architect, maybe they can tweek the design.

Does anyone know who owns HMV location? The west side of the project looks like the builder is still considering options there to extend the project. This would allow for more public space too. Then you make an offer to Scotia.

I'm wondering with all the space given to the build this building. Why isn't the highrise set back to the street.

It IS set back, in terms of functionality. The structural exoskeleton carries the weight of the building, so the ground level floor was able to be pulled back from the street enough to allow for extra-wide sidewalks on Yonge and on Bloor.

any thoughts on the wind effect on street level?
Will the tower be directing wind down to the atrium?
any unique features in the tower that will address that?

Is this building will be a steel based structure or concrete?

Steel. The exterior diamonds are the load-bearing elements, freeing the interiors to be completely open-plan with no unsightly columns.

any thoughts on the wind effect on street level?
Will the tower be directing wind down to the atrium?
any unique features in the tower that will address that?

Apparently, wind studies have already been done, and the winds at street level will be less than they are now, presumably due to the extra space for sidewalks causing the ground-level winds to spread out and weaken.

There's no way Holt's will give up its prime location.

Of course they aren't. It's just an idea from the mind of a genius. :cool:

In retail location is everything and Holt's is in the thick of it, Holt's is synonymous with the thick of it.

That's exactly why it wouldn't matter if they moved a block down the street....they are the location (besides, technically the "thick of it" is west of Bay). The shoppers would simply follow them to a new and improved store.

Back