Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

IMG_5637.JPG
IMG_5638.JPG
IMG_5639.JPG
IMG_5640.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG

The question is - can they even add a second floor without that floor showing up in the approved architectural plans - it will affect GFA, have in/egress implications, etc. Secrecy is one thing - I can't imagine the city would let that happen without any sort of publicly accessible information.

AoD

Right, they don't have to be in these particular drawings though. I imagine that when Apple is handed the space and takes over, they'll have to apply for licenses to build the interior of the store just like any other retailer.

I don't know if there'll be a second floor — there may not be — but it just seems like a lot of wasted vertical space (3 floors!). With just one floor, the store would just be about 7,000 sq/ft which is very very small by Apple's standards, certainly not for a flagship at Yonge and Bloor.

This is why I'm looking for telltale signs of a cantilever, often used in Apple stores to add a second floor in a large open space like this one. The presence of a solid concrete block, tied to pillars on both sides, going down 2 floors, certainly looks like it. If this block is not filled and is hollow instead, then I think we can drop that idea. Let's see what happens here.

Your obsession with Apple is quite....something...

Yeah, let's not talk about the Apple store in a thread about a building where they're building an Apple store. ?

Whether you like the company or not, their buildings are largely agreed to be of interest in the architecture and engineering communities. Ask some guy named Sir Norman Foster about his "obsession with Apple".

And hey, maybe you can put me on your ignore list, like I did to you over a year ago and we can save each other from all your whining about the discussion of the flagship retailer and the design of the podium of this building.

Last edited:
That poured concrete wall finishes at the Concourse level - it then changes to 2 of the super columns.

Thanks. What's your guess to the meaning of "Space for Apple Risers" on the drawings situated on that wall at the height of a second floor? Riser would normally be used to describe pipes or conduits in a wall, but I'm not sure how that would apply to "Apple risers" specifically.

Pipes up to a back of house MEP room on the second floor for the retail tenant.

Thanks. What's your guess to the meaning of "Space for Apple Risers" on the drawings situated on that wall at the height of a second floor? Riser would normally be used to describe pipes or conduits in a wall, but I'm not sure how that would apply to "Apple risers" specifically.

Well, there are one of two options:

A) Riser is actually the acronym R.I.S.E.R. -standing for Retracting In-wall Surface for Extra Retail; a Murphy bed-style mezzanine specifically designed for Apple that folds up at night so they can clean under it.

B) Defining what space the risers belong to.

Just walked by, part of the street was closed with 2 police cars and construction guys holding flags. I waited a while, expecting to see a truck pull in delivering something big (the super columns??) but nothing came and I had to leave. Anything scheduled for tonight? @Benito you wanna keep a look outside?

Back