Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

You can see why each floor takes so long...with so little staging room they are having to move material onto newly poured halves of the floorplate just to work with the conduits and prepare the other half for a pour. That's some tedious work!

Today.
9CBCBD50-A0AF-4D0A-BFAB-DA6BD1A53678.jpeg
D7C9AA3C-2ACA-4648-A7F7-33BB20C9AF34.jpeg
D1A38532-4F31-43DC-ABBD-8DF1B924AE9A.jpeg
F385536A-FB84-4404-A7FD-9FB438BC717B.jpeg
D15B75BA-A224-49B5-93FB-E7D3326D75C4.jpeg
5ADF2E0F-A328-492D-98A8-16FD25CE3CC6.jpeg

@Benito I'm trying to update the drawing but having a hard time seeing where the southernmost portion of the lower levels are at (under the heritage building). Any details on that?

@Benito I'm trying to update the drawing but having a hard time seeing where the southernmost portion of the lower levels are at (under the heritage building). Any details on that?

It is hard to say from my vantage point or from the street. I’m guessing that they are one level below the rest of the garage, but that is a guess. Here is another shot where I’ve changed the exposure of the area under the heritage building.
AC8B0705-C0C1-4512-8959-595F44F542C9.jpeg

Ah excellent! Can see they've poured to the walls for this floor - updates forthcoming!

Edit: Here they are, and a peak at some of the work for the eventual cladding (colour correction next now that we have some more detailed view of the cladding).

Edit: Here's a timeline so far. Small steps but clear to see there's a huge mount of work going into each floor thanks to Benito's great vantage.

Last edited:

20191017_121729-jpg.209916

Photo: @AdamS

We're now looking at the Apple Store's basement level. This will probably be used for the stock room, technician labs, staff room and if this is to be a flagship, then there will be a Boardroom.

apple_regent_street_boardroom.jpg

Photo: Apple

What I'll be looking for going forward is for engineered support for a cantilevered second floor. This would have to start at this sub level and I do think that we're seeing it in between those 2 top pillars.

Photo: @AdamS

A slab of concrete would rise in between the pillars above ground level and onto where a cantilevered structure would rest and then overhang as a pillar free balcony over the ground floor.

Photos: Apple

There'll be a lot of telltale signs that this is an Apple Store and which one it might be modelled after if you know what to look for.

This is as close as I could get through the fence but it does indeed look like they’re preparing to build a cage that would then be filled with concrete which would act as an anchor for a cantilever above the first floor.

AFB09613-EA51-4AB6-B531-1F3F9CF7D8CA.jpeg

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that this will be another first for this project, something unique in Toronto. I can’t think of any cantilevered floors like this in the city.

I tried to look but I couldn’t see from the sidewalk but isn’t there supposed to be a path connection at this level?

There's no cantilever planned in that retail space.

The drawings show a double height retail space in the drawings on the city site and have been posted in the Apple Store thread - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/apple-store.4710/page-56#post-1471072

That’s an empty shell. What Apple does to it when they take over will not be in these drawings. What the developer would be delivering if Apple planned a cantilever and included it in their spec is the provision for a cantilever to be installed by Apple as per their spec. The actual arrangement of the store, including a potential second floor on a cantilever, stairs, and all finishings would be in separate blueprints for that specific retail project.

If they don’t include some sort of second floor, this is going to be an unusually tall space. It’s not just double height, it’s triple height. The ceiling matches the height of the top of the third floor of the adjacent building.
2763041F-2977-408D-B12E-3F390226F320.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s an empty shell. What Apple does to it when they take over will not be in these drawings. What the developer would be delivering if Apple planned a cantilever and included it in their spec is the provision for a cantilever to be installed by Apple as per their spec. The actual arrangement of the store, including a potential second floor on a cantilever, stairs, and all finishings would be in separate blueprints for that specific retail project.

If they don’t include some sort of second floor, this is going to be an unusually tall space. It’s not just double height, it’s triple height. The ceiling matches the height of the top of the third floor of the adjacent building.
View attachment 210538
Your obsession with Apple is quite....something...

View attachment 210538
VERY smart observations! Great contribution to the thread, thank you.

The question is - can they even add a second floor without that floor showing up in the approved architectural plans - it will affect GFA, have in/egress implications, etc. Secrecy is one thing - I can't imagine the city would let that happen without any sort of publicly accessible information.

AoD

The question is - can they even add a second floor without that floor showing up in the approved architectural plans - it will affect GFA, have in/egress implications, etc. Secrecy is one thing - I can't imagine the city would let that happen without any sort of publicly accessible information.

AoD
it would be possible provided the by-law permits the additional retail GFA and it does not effect the exterior of the building - which would require an SPA amendment. If the tenant modifications are only for interior space and are within the allowable GFA for retail, all that would be needed would be a building permit.

Back