Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

why would UT ask Clark when they can directly ask Mizrahi for the updates.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/02/toronto-future-exhibition-returning-summer

Because Clark is going to have a better idea of where the project is at since they are managing it.

But in reality, because the Master Schedule is an integral contract document, no one is going to tell you what's really going on. You'll get a communications piece fed to you, which will make things sound rosy.

20190213_120343.jpg

Such an incredibly tight and difficult site. This and nobu are one the only sites in the city where they had to construct a part of the future ground floor slab just to provide some staging area.

The use of an early poured slab for staging seems like a relatively new technique in the city -- any projects use this prior to the past couple of years?

The use of an early poured slab for staging seems like a relatively new technique in the city -- any projects use this prior to the past couple of years?
it's going to become more and more common as sites that previously were not feasible are now going to develop, and with more restrictions on lane closures.

I believe it's occurring more as there has been a push from the city to reduce the amount of lane closures. The city only really seems to accept them these days when they either have minimal impact or are absolutely required to construct the building. Building "floating" platforms allows for staging to occur on site when it more traditionally would have occured on the closed lane. 5 years ago it wouldn't have surprised me if they had taken down 2 lanes on Bloor St. or something to create staging space for this project.

I readily admit knowing less about construction than my dog does, but it appears plain to me by the massive volume of cement parked in each and every one of these trucks that someone is moving as fast as possible to build this incredible tower.

Ragging the puck? Not by a long shot !
And you'd be right! The overhead cost of a project of this scale in mid construction is mind boggling, between site costs and finance. I don't know what their financing costs are given it's not with a conventional local bank, but I'd guess it's not less than $750k/month, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's over $1m/month.

And you'd be right! The overhead cost of a project of this scale in mid construction is mind boggling, between site costs and finance. I don't know what their financing costs are given it's not with a conventional local bank, but I'd guess it's not less than $750k/month, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's over $1m/month.
Mid construction? In reality this site at the moment is running at its lowest overhead costs. There's barely anyone on site. The super is standing there watching them drill a hole every few days and fill it. That's it. Costs are also at a minimum because there are very few subs there submitting monthly progress draws.

Mid construction? In reality this site at the moment is running at its lowest overhead costs. There's barely anyone on site. The super is standing there watching them drill a hole every few days and fill it. That's it. Costs are also at a minimum because there are very few subs there submitting monthly progress draws.
By mid construction I meant actively in construction. In a year from now it will certainly be more. You'd be surprised that even at this stage how much the site super, assistant and clerks, labour, traffic control, temporary power, equipment rental etc cost. Having said that the largest part of the overhead cost is the loan cost, which is huge for this project with the cost of the land alone before even considering the current running cost of construction.

Back