Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Not top down and no steel? Oh man...
Was excited to see Top-Down (despite I guess not being able to see anything...). The lack of steel doesn't bother me, I'm sure it will still look great. May just be a little slower going up.

Not no steel, just less steel.
My understanding is that the composite structural system of steel encased in concrete is different than standard reinforced concrete. I think it will be the same method seen at CITI Bank HQ in China: https://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/citic-bank-headquarters/#construction

Will that not fairly significantly affect the appearance of the exoskeleton? Painted concrete would make for a far different look than what's been rendered.

Or are they still planning on finishing it with thin aluminium panels?

Will that not fairly significantly affect the appearance of the exoskeleton? Painted concrete would make for a far different look than what's been rendered.

Not sure if aluminum but definitely some type of metallic finish.

Ohhh, I'didn't see a thing on that video citi-bank china only the finish product..thank you..

Hey everybody, so I know there has been a bit of a debate about is this or is this not top down construction. I figured I would go straight to the source and ask. I figured I would be waiting weeks for a response or never get one but within a few hours I got the answer. It turns out both sides of the debate are right and wrong. Anyway here is the email answer I got.

Hi Andrew,

We have elements being built at grade along with simultaneous works being completed at the full excavation elevation. As a result, it's a form of hybrid top down construction, as we are working on multiple elevations of construction simultaneously. It's ground level form work for construction staging and site logistics on top of an active excavation pit. But, it's not a true 100% top down construction. I trust this answers your question.

Sincerely,

mizrahi-signature-2.gif

Sam Mizrahi President

125 Hazelton Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5R 2E4

Hey everybody, so I know there has been a bit of a debate about is this or is this not top down construction. I figured I would go straight to the source and ask. I figured I would be waiting weeks for a response or never get one but within a few hours I got the answer. It turns out both sides of the debate are right and wrong. Anyway here is the email answer I got.

Hi Andrew,

We have elements being built at grade along with simultaneous works being completed at the full excavation elevation. As a result, its a form of hybrid top down construction, as we are working on multiple elevations of construction simultaneously. Its ground level form work for construction staging and site logistics on top of an active excavation pit. But, its not a true 100% top down construction. I trust this answers your question.

Sincerely,

mizrahi-signature-2.gif

Sam Mizrahi President

125 Hazelton Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5R 2E4

love your chutzpah!
also, never knowing who this mizrahi is that everyone on this forum loves to hate, responding to a random email from a curious citizen so quickly and so clearly just made me like him quite a bit!

Wow, from the man himself! Kudos for him for such a great response too (or perhaps his assistant but still!).

Hi Andrew,

We have elements being built at grade along with simultaneous works being completed at the full excavation elevation. As a result, it's a form of hybrid top down construction, as we are working on multiple elevations of construction simultaneously. It's ground level form work for construction staging and site logistics on top of an active excavation pit. But, it's not a true 100% top down construction. I trust this answers your question.

Sincerely,

mizrahi-signature-2.gif

Sam Mizrahi President

125 Hazelton Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5R 2E4
The information in our front page story came straight from Mizrahi Developments, from Sam's Vice President of Development, Josh Lax. (If we put something on the front page, we have researched it.) What you are seeing is not top-down construction. It is standard excavation, but with a platform being built for staging purposes as it's a tight site. We've seen this on many Toronto construction sites in the last couple of years as the City becomes more reluctant to give space on streets over to construction work. Sam calling it a hybrid is a little over-the-top.

Interesting. My wife and I were just talking about her biggest pet peeve while driving, which is private construction intruding into public space with sidewalk and lane closures. Looks like with some planning this can be avoided, but I'm sure it's easier to apply and get a permit. Glad to see the city is cracking down on the practice.

Interesting. My wife and I were just talking about her biggest pet peeve while driving, which is private construction intruding into public space with sidewalk and lane closures. Looks like with some planning this can be avoided, but I'm sure it's easier to apply and get a permit. Glad to see the city is cracking down on the practice.
We've seen this method a few places. One taking shape right now at St. Lawrence Condos. 50 at Wellesley Station had one as well early on in construction

Back