Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Your question prompted me to check if the new "hero" rendering and exact figures were in, and they were, so I have updated the dataBase file now. By doing that, the thread title has been automatically updated.

If you go to the dataBase file, you'll see what the latest top looks like. That may change yet again though, as the DRP were looking for something more specifically celebratory to crown the building.

Ugh. Just saw the under-Bloor concourse layout.

Are we still trying to pass off "accessibility lifts" (open top hydraulic elevators) as accessibility in this city? They require trained operators! It's not like anyone's going to be hired full-time to man it, which means anyone requiring the use of one needs to find an authorized operator. Likely a security guard at a station 30 or 40 feet away on another floor. Not exactly "accessible" when one has to hunt down someone to operate it for them. It's downright degrading and defies the idea of accessibility=freedom of movement. A proper elevator or ramp (ideally both) is a far superior plan.

Where do they get 80 storeys from? 12 storeys were removed from the 84 storey version to get it down to a shadowing-neutral height.

Here's how they get it: renumbering. The former mezzanine is now the 2nd storey. Each of the extra-high mechanical sections is now numbered to have two floors. The top level (which is essentially access to the roof garden) is now numbered too. 80 storeys.

Last edited:
Where do they get 80 storeys from? 12 storeys were removed from the 84 storey version to get it down to a shadowing-neutral height.

Here's how they get it: renumbering. The former mezzanine is now the 2nd storey. Each of the extra-high mechanical sections is now numbered to have two floors. The top level (which is essentially access to the roof garden) is now numbered too. 80 storeys.

I wonder if planning has a consistent methodology for floor counting.

AoD

Nothing they stick to relentlessly as far as I can tell, but then most buildings are much simpler than this one. Usually mezzanines are as tricky as it gets: "is that 2, or M?" The Four Seasons, Trump and YC condos are the only three other buildings in town (that I can remember) where we've never really established exact floor counts as each has at least one if not more interstitial floors which they don't count. In the Four Seasons, there's a mechanical floor between the hotel and the residences for example, but neither the elevators nor the floor numbers acknowledge it. At Trump there is a mezzanine level at the restaurant half-way up. YC Condos has got a mezzanine coming, and its top floor club is above and beside some mechanical levels. None of those floors are included in floor counts traditionally. Elevators may or may not stop at mezzanines or mechanical levels. I think Planning just accepts the numbering as written out in the proposals.

EDIT: There's also a floor between the hotel and residences at the Ritz Carlton, but it's not a mechanical level, it's more like "housekeeping". I can't remember whether it is counted or not, but it's not as high as the other floors, so you can see it from outside. It probably has an 8 foot ceiling, the hotel rooms below have 9, and the residences above have 10. Something like that. Card access only from the elevators.

Nothing they stick to relentlessly as far as I can tell, but then most buildings are much simpler than this one. Usually mezzanines are as tricky as it gets: "is that 2, or M?"

Get this tangent; my building has both a mezzanine floor and a 2nd floor, but superstitiously no 13th floor. So, up until the 12th floor, residents are a storey higher than their floor number. On or above 14, you're technically on the right storey.

It also has the roof numbered as 27th floor.

Anyhow…

One Bloor East was definitely not approved as high as 295 metres. Everyone would have been screaming about it being "almost a supertall" if it had been, and they never did. 279 metres was the approved height for the top of the fins that were in the Bazis plan. The 257 metres/844 feet that we have in the One Bloor East dataBase file (and therefore thread title) comes from HPA's working drawings for what actually got built.

Back