Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Trump was not the developer, they licensed their hotel brand. Talon was the developer.

I'm aware of that, but he was heavily involved, even to the extent that the design and nature of the building was to be "extreme luxury". I don't think they did enough market research though because at that time, a condo was not considered a "home" that one would pay millions of dollars to own.

It's much more common now, but it's not so clear how many people in T.O. are willing to pay that here. I think it's more likely they are focused on investors, but investors have to be convinced that condos are going to appreciate at a rate that is better than other potential investments and right now affordability is beginning to create a ceiling for condo appreciation. I think this is what is holding back the "Mirvish/Gehry" (or whatever the project will someday be named) project.

Last edited:
Via CanLII, looks like the zoning is now amended.

I believe that was one of the biggest hurdles identified previously in the thread - hopefully we can get back to talking about the building itself in the near future :)

That's great. (It is really annoying that LPAT does not update its own website with decisions and orders, sometimes for months or years after they are issued).

Now they will have to finalize, sign, and register the Section 37 Agreement.

And complete the site plan approval process to the extent that NOAC can be issued.

And get Buildings sign-off on above-ground permit (probably structural permit first).

And get Toronto Water sign-off or agreements completed (if not already).

And sign conditional permit and DC deferral agreements.

And pay all DCs and Section 37 money (approx. $40,000,000).

And complete any obligations in the Section 37 Agreement that are required before above-grade building permits, such as offsite parkland conveyance, etc.

[EDIT: this includes conveyance of offsite parkland conveyance at 14 Dundonald Street, including approved base park improvement plans, and the site must be environmentally clean and vacant prior to conveyance. I have created a new thread for the offsite park at 14 Dundonald. A demolition permit was issued January 31, 2020, and the previous use was commercial, so seems an RSC will be necessary? More details in that thread].

Then they can start building above grade. I stick by my earlier prediction that this site will be dormant until April or later.

[EDIT: Here is are the Section 37 Provisions from the LPAT Order:]
1582823975297.png

1582823991866.png

1582824008899.png

Attachments

• 1582823952398.png
    1582823952398.png
    653.7 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
That's great. (It is really annoying that LPAT does not update its own website with decisions and orders, sometimes for months or years after they are issued).

And complete the site plan approval process to the extent that NOAC can be issued.

And get Buildings sign-off on above-ground permit (probably structural permit first).

And complete any obligations in the Section 37 Agreement that are required before above-grade building permits, such as offsite parkland conveyance, etc. (maybe none -- we have to wait to see the attachments to the order, as the S 37 obligations will be in Schedule A).

Then start building above grade.

Thanks Kenojuak. A post with detail and obvious insight as to the requirements and process needed to get things going is very much appreciated. Such a difference from the multitude of meaningless no information emotional rants which constitute so many previous entries on this thread.

I have uploaded the full OMB Decision re the bylaw (Feb. 18, 2020) and an amending order (Feb. 26, 2020) here: https://we.tl/t-Ogktr1PKQz (will expire)

Riddle me this. There are five loading bays required with no provision for sharing.

1582832888955.png

Here is the site plan from the Nov. 18, 2019 submission plans.

1582833050621.png

Where is the required loading? I see one G and one B.

Also this lane is going to be a clusterfuck.

And complete any obligations in the Section 37 Agreement that are required before above-grade building permits, such as offsite parkland conveyance, etc.

[EDIT: this includes conveyance of offsite parkland conveyance at 14 Dundonald Street, including approved base park improvement plans, and the site must be environmentally clean and vacant prior to conveyance. I have created a new thread for the offsite park at 14 Dundonald. A demolition permit was issued January 31, 2020, and the previous use was commercial, so seems an RSC will be necessary? More details in that thread].

Then they can start building above grade. I stick by my earlier prediction that this site will be dormant until April or later.

View attachment 233338
View attachment 233339
View attachment 233340

Can they at least pour the concrete that they were prepping for before it was interrupted with the stop order? Technically, the floor is still below grade.

Can they at least pour the concrete that they were prepping for before it was interrupted with the stop order? Technically, the floor is still below grade.
You can’t pour the slab at grade without tying in the first floor structural elements (column rebar etc) which is above grade.

View attachment 233338
View attachment 233339
View attachment 233340
That's just greed and waste money to give to the city.

www.thestar.com/amp/news/gta/2020/02/28/city-halts-construction-of-the-one-condo-hotel-in-yorkville-over-building-permit-issue.html

Toronto Star finally has news on this

Key part of the article:
The developer has been awaiting permits to proceed with foundation and above-grade work on the site. Those were held up by an appeal of a site-specific zoning bylaw that cleared the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal on Wednesday.
That means the city can move ahead and finalize its review of the permit application to ensure it complies with the zoning. That is expected to take a couple of weeks so that, once any outstanding fees are paid, the developer can move ahead.

So my guess probably April when construction will resume and it will be in full swing by May.

Back