Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

"Reaching" grade isn't substantially completing the ground floor. It's reaching it, as the name implies. Verdict stands.

Except it's not at grade anywhere. The poured segment is still more than 2ft below grade. You can't walk across, there's even a ladder there. Then again, they're already framing above ground segments and it's unlikely that the floor will be level with grade until they start building the store itself long after the tower is hundreds of feet above grade. So, it's not going to be straightforward to determine what "at grade" means.

Look at the ladder in @Benito's photo.
01b090b6-2565-4701-888f-2c26617ed959-jpeg.219460

You can see in photos taken before the pour but after the iron had been tied in. The concrete was poured about an inch or two above the rebar. Look at the ladder that leads to the sidewalk. That's 2 to 3 ladder steps away from grade (more than 2ft)

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.36.25 PM.png

That said, I think "at grade" should be described as pouring the ground floor slab. In which case, it's now "at grade".

Last edited:
Except it's not at grade anywhere. The poured segment is still more than 2ft below grade. You can't walk across, there's even a ladder there. Then again, they're already framing above ground segments and it's unlikely that the floor will be level with grade until they start building the store itself long after the tower is hundreds of feet above grade. So, it's not going to be straightforward to determine what "at grade" means.
There are clear walls for the ground floor at the north end. While it isn't the tower portion, it's there.

Well, there have been pillars above grade for over a month now. Had it reached "at grade" then?
If a guy can stand on concrete and be above grade, good enough for me

If a guy can stand on concrete and be above grade, good enough for me

I'm good with that. My definition of "at grade" has been when the ground floor slab (or a substantial part of it) has been poured.

After the entire ground floor surface has been poured, it looks like a false floor will be built to add those 2 feet. That won't happen until they start assembling the store.

You can see the gap here:
Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.52.33 PM.png

So yes, it's as "at grade" as it'll get until the tower is already hundreds of feet into the sky and they start working on the store.

I will leave the 'Meeting The Grade' definitions to the experts, but just want to thank all the entrants to our little fun contest. I wasn't sure if it would get much response, but very happy with the level of participation and active engagement. Thanks again, and all the best for the Holiday Season to everyone.

I'm good with that. My definition of "at grade" has been when the ground floor slab (or a substantial part of it) has been poured.

After the entire ground floor surface has been poured, it looks like a false floor will be built to add those 2 feet. That won't happen until they start assembling the store.

You can see the gap here:
View attachment 219636

So yes, it's as "at grade" as it'll get until the tower is already hundreds of feet into the sky and they start working on the store.
False floor makes a lot of sense for some type of retail that would require a lot of cabling for charging ports on big tables....

Cannot see them burying the electrical conduits in the slab. More likely there will a secondary composite slab above that main ground floor slab with the MEP services running through the space - similar to a raised access floor system in an office building.

Or irrigation pipes for trees.

Actually when I was walking by I noticed a number of electrical junction boxes (?) laid out on the floor. Centre right where those two guys are standing on the pile of rebar in my last pic.

Back