Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

This building certainly took its sweet time reaching grade. Crazy to think it began construction same time as CIBC Square.

Wonder which building will finish first. This or CIBC Square 2.

Looks like Ottawan may not get the prize, given that The One is not technically at grade today.

If it becomes at grade tomorrow, it would be a tie between Ottawan and Old Boy (he guessed December 13). Whoever made the prediction earlier will be the tiebreaker.

If it becomes at grade on December 12 or 13, Old Boy would win.

If it becomes at grade on December 14, it would be a tie between Old Boy and VZ64 (he/she guessed December 15). The tiebreaker procedure is the same.

If it becomes at grade between December 15 and 17, VZ64 would win.

If it becomes at grade between December 18 and Christmas Day, Kotsy (he guessed December 20) would win.

If it becomes at grade between Boxing Day and January 2, 2020, Neilv (he guessed New Year's Eve) would win.

If it becomes at grade on January 3, 2020, it would be a tie between Neilv and Brian YYZ (he guessed January 6). The tiebreaker procedure is the same.

If it becomes at grade between January 4 and 6, Brian YYZ would win.

If it becomes at grade on January 7 or later, Irishmonk (he guessed January 7) would win.

My prediction:

Old Boy will win the subscription for a year.

Last edited:
Looks like Ottawan may not get the prize, given that The One is not technically at grade today.

If it becomes at grade tomorrow, it would be a tie between Ottawan and Old Boy (he guessed December 13). Whoever made the prediction earlier will be the tiebreaker.

If it becomes at grade on December 12 or 13, Old Boy would win.

If it becomes at grade on December 14, it would be a tie between Old Boy and VZ64 (he/she guessed December 15). The tiebreaker procedure is the same.

If it becomes at grade between December 15 and 17, VZ64 would win.

If it becomes at grade between December 18 and Christmas Day, Kotsy (he guessed December 20) would win.

If it becomes at grade between Boxing Day and January 2, 2020, Neilv (he guessed New Year's Eve) would win.

If it becomes at grade on January 3, 2020, it would be a tie between Neilv and Brian YYZ (he guessed January 6). The tiebreaker procedure is the same.

If it becomes at grade between January 4 and 6, Brian YYZ would win.

If it becomes at grade on January 7 or later, Irishmonk (he guessed January 7) would win.

My prediction:

Old Boy will win the subscription for a year.
There are ground floor walls and sections of floor in place in the images above. Not sure what your specifications of at grade are or if you didn't look close enough at the photos

It probably won't really start "Flying" until spring still.. But grade is very exciting as the project becomes much more visible.
"flying" isn't a term I'd use on a project that should have been at this point in 12-14 months NOT 28 months...... 28 months and it might be another 6 months before the parking ramps are finished for 4 levels.... if the contest was held at the start everyone would have been off by a year and half.

I define reaching at grade as having at least 75% of the ground floor being in place.
"Reaching" grade isn't substantially completing the ground floor. It's reaching it, as the name implies. Verdict stands.

I recall our discussions during the summer regarding "Meeting The Grade" and I think I had proposed being able to walk across the entire ground floor (meaning whole ground floor pour had been completed). However, if the consensus is now the first pour for the ground floor is "Meeting The Grade", then so be it...and the winner receives "The Stollery" (the name I've given to this most august award ;) ;) ;)

I define reaching at grade as having at least 75% of the ground floor being in place.

Speaking from a CM/Developer perspective - Reaching "At Grade" in the industry means 75% completion. It's the point that most projects are tracked from for substantial completion, as coming out of the ground can be very unpredictable.

Due respect to the contest... look forward to the first 10 storeys rising. Still a believer but here in the cheap seats, staring into a hole at some point becomes like a epic cricket test with no-one protecting the wicket.

I'm sure I'll be engaged soon when steel starts to rise. Props to all who got this out of the ground.

Due respect to the contest... look forward to the first 10 storeys rising. Still a believer but here in the cheap seats, staring into a hole at some point becomes like a epic cricket test with no-one protecting the wicket.

I'm sure I'll be engaged soon when steel starts to rise. Props to all who got this out of the ground.
haha I feel you. I'm gonna check back in a couple of months when there's more than a hole in the ground. Good luck to all in the contest though!

"flying" isn't a term I'd use on a project that should have been at this point in 12-14 months NOT 28 months...... 28 months and it might be another 6 months before the parking ramps are finished for 4 levels.... if the contest was held at the start everyone would have been off by a year and half.

Surprisingly, with our planning, we are exactly where we are supposed to be ;) . Would love to hear your explanation on how you would plan the projects shoring/tieback & bracing/excavation, installation of its complicated foundation / underground structure, while having a historical facade stuck in the middle of your site (not being able to move it), and logistically working on a site the size of a postage stamp :)

Surprisingly, with our planning, we are exactly where we are supposed to be ;) . Would love to hear your explanation on how you would plan the projects shoring/tieback & bracing/excavation, installation of its complicated foundation / underground structure, while having a historical facade stuck in the middle of your site (not being able to move it), and logistically working on a site the size of a postage stamp :)

You are so going to get an angry private message that will be locked so you can't reply to it.

Interesting ^

Meeting grade doesn't seem to been defined at the beginning of this contest. I promised a monthly subscription to New Development Insider for the winner. As such we're going to declare @Ottawan the winner!

Back