The One | 309m | 85s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

packers67

Member Bio
Reaction score
A good question Koops. And I ask what is the generally accepted industry standard for 'meeting the grade'? A single rebar extending high? First piece of steel reaching Yonge or Bloor? Hopefully some of our industry/construction experts can supply their opinions? There has to be some sort of agreed-to standard in the business does there not?

Contra

Member Bio
Reaction score
A good question Koops. And I ask what is the generally accepted industry standard for 'meeting the grade'? A single rebar extending high? First piece of steel reaching Yonge or Bloor? Hopefully some of our industry/construction experts can supply their opinions? There has to be some sort of agreed-to standard in the business does there not?
Was thinking this. The supercolumns are potentially to reach grade this month but the actual floors will not follow for months perhaps. I've always felt "at grade" would be if the project were to be done at that point you could walk from curb to building...but many judge it by formwork reaching grade, etc.

packers67

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thank you Contra. I think that is a good measurement. If you can walk level from either Bloor or Yonge Street curbs to the any part of the street level floor of the building - The One has met grade.
Any contrarian views to this idea?

Batman

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good citizens of Racoon City, I am be honoured, humbled, to be nominated for such a role amongst a capable group of development afficionados. My bat senses tell me that @innsertnamehere's suggestion that the first ground floor slab pour should be the determinant of reaching grade is well reasoned. Should it be necessary to actually arbitrate the date of said accomplishment, I hope to be available. Should I not be, my resourceful young assistant Robin will no doubt be eager to "call it" as you kids say. It's my uderstanding the lad is quite keen himself on seeing this erection pop up out of the ground, I believe that's what I heard him exclaim from behind his laptop one evening, something akin to "Holy megacolumn, this is The One". He's looking forward to his first Appletini, and I believe I may allow our but… I believe I may allow our colleague Mr., uh, Miller to mix him one on this occasion.

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
I realize this is an ill-conceived tangent that adds nothing to the "at grade" discussions/predictions... but I suggest that an important issue may be over-looked, namely "making the grade".

Given the past volume of naysayers and even occasional mod wise-cracks (no names-42), I suggest the project has already "made the grade" given the 10,000 photos of every piece of rebar laid.

Complete collapse of the construction industry or other negative project specific issues, will render this suggestion useless (which it probably is).

GabrielHurl

Member Bio
Reaction score
MEGA!!

From Clark Construction Management's Linkedin page

A major milestone for CCM, hashtag#TheONEBloorWest project and the entire construction industry today. Pre-manufactured reinforcing for the first of many mega-columns was delivered and set in place this morning. This 45-ton pick is the first of 64 to be installed over the next several months. An exciting step in Canada’s soon to be tallest building!