Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

^^ Describing the layout of the columns made me realize something. There was talk about Mizrahi wanting the retail to open first, well ahead of the construction of the tower. This is impossible. The way the building is being constructed, the crane is right in the middle of the floor layout. The crane will have to be dismantled through the roof and floor of homes, hotel rooms and retail, leaving a hole in both the floor and ceiling that will have to be capped off as the crane is being taken down. Since the crane is needed to build the tower, nothing can be completed before the crane comes down at the very end.

Am I missing something? Will this crane be moved to the side before floors start getting poured?

^^ Describing the layout of the columns made me realize something. There was talk about Mizrahi wanting the retail to open first, well ahead of the construction of the tower. This is impossible. The way the building is being constructed, the crane is right in the middle of the floor layout. The crane will have to be dismantled through the roof and floor of homes, hotel rooms and retail, leaving a hole in both the floor and ceiling that will have to be capped off as the crane is being taken down. Since the crane is needed to build the tower, nothing can be completed before the crane comes down at the very end.

Am I missing something? Will this crane be moved to the side before floors start getting poured?

Typically cranes don’t run all the way through the building. As the building gets taller the lower sections are removed and loads are instead placed over a dozen or so floor slabs that it is connected to..

At least that’s my understanding.. not sure if it will be the case here, and someone with more knowledge is free to correct me.

Typically cranes don’t run all the way through the building. As the building gets taller the lower sections are removed and loads are instead placed over a dozen or so floor slabs that it is connected to..

At least that’s my understanding.. not sure if it will be the case here, and someone with more knowledge is free to correct me.

That makes sense.

The crane jacks itself up by floors with the opening been form for closure as it moves up. By doing this, it allows work to take place to finish off the floor where the tower crane was supported before being jack up to the next level. There is extra shoring under the floors supporting the jacking system as well the tower.

This will allow the retail section to be open sooner than later based on safety requirements, similar as Aura. Need over hang over the sidewalk to allow work to continue on the tower like the Aura. Look in the Aura thread to see photos of the sidewalk protection.

I have shot various towers supports for climbing, but no idea which threads they maybe in to look at.

What you currently see as a tower will remain the same all the way to the top once its is disconnected from base for the first move.

Pic to illustrate the crash deck protection

urbantoronto-6096-19503.jpg

They could also move the crane to the annex and have it climb along the side of the tower, since it's so thin. Additionally, for the staging platform - PJ Condos is a good example of how that is integrated into the floor plates!

They could also move the crane to the annex and have it climb along the side of the tower, since it's so thin. Additionally, for the staging platform - PJ Condos is a good example of how that is integrated into the floor plates!

You would actually finish less suites by having it climb on the exterior then having a crane climb within the tower. Also with a site so tight, you cant waste space on having a crane base, real estate is so valuable it needs to rise within the tower.

Depending on specs for loads, it'll be 4-6 Floors of re-shore under the crane and 4-6 Floors on actual crane tower sections through floor slabs.Typically consuming 1 suite per floor as mentioned by @innsertnamehere

One thing I do find odd is, typically a crane doesn't rise from the centre of a tower, but centre of a selected suite. In this case, it appears as though the crane will be rising directly within the Elevator Shaft which is traditionally a big NO due to the slow down of progress and elevators lead time. If the crane runs in the shaft, it'll halt elevator install until crane removal increasing project duration by 12-18 months. Is a possibility of relocation once the tower rises to a certain point.

You would actually finish less suites by having it climb on the exterior then having a crane climb within the tower. Also with a site so tight, you cant waste space on having a crane base, real estate is so valuable it needs to rise within the tower.

Depending on specs for loads, it'll be 4-6 Floors of re-shore under the crane and 4-6 Floors on actual crane tower sections through floor slabs.Typically consuming 1 suite per floor as mentioned by @innsertnamehere

One thing I do find odd is, typically a crane doesn't rise from the centre of a tower, but centre of a selected suite. In this case, it appears as though the crane will be rising directly within the Elevator Shaft which is traditionally a big NO due to the slow down of progress and elevators lead time. If the crane runs in the shaft, it'll halt elevator install until crane removal increasing project duration by 12-18 months. Is a possibility of relocation once the tower rises to a certain point.
Maybe they'll install Kone JumpLift elevators, like those that went into One Bloor East just across the street?

Back