Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Noticed the rebar on Benito's photo and when i walked by on Wednesday but did not want to start the permit or no permit conversation.
Fair enough.

As a person who just wants this project to move ahead without any further hitches...I gotta ask, for good or bad. So a yay or nay should be good enough...but some folks probably won't let that stay at that. So my apologies for bringing this up if it goes off the rails like that again. /sigh

Fair enough.

As a person who just wants this project to move ahead without any further hitches...I gotta ask, for good or bad. So a yay or nay should be good enough...but some folks probably won't let that stay at that. So my apologies for bringing this up if it goes off the rails like that again. /sigh
I think part of the controversy of the permit/no permit earlier had to do with the fact that we were at the beginning of a pandemic. I was one of the people who was upset over the apparent construction without a permit at the time but it was primarily due to public health and safety.

Yes we are still in a pandemic but the situation is far different now. You shouldn't ever build without a permit anyway, but I'm with you, I would just like to see this thing start going again as well.

I’m getting very curious how the base will look, given that it’ll be designed by Foster for Apple. He’s been using a Castagna Stone extensively in all the flagships.

View attachment 257789
New Apple Store in Beijing - pic: @_Garfield_ (sina weibo)

The back walls will likely be clad in this beautiful material but I’m wondering if the super columns will be too, or if those will adhere to the golden metal cladding on the exterior. All we’ve seen in the existing renderings is a generic space. It’ll be highly customized for the tenant.

I got curious so I dug in to my contacts that helped me break the news on the Apple Eaton Centre. I’ve managed to uncover a few details that’ll help us envision the base of The One.

The final design is substantially different than what we’ve seen in the renderings. Not surprising since it’s been several years since it’s been updated and Apple has since expanded the retail floor to the one below and has updated its architectural style as seen in recent store renovations, including the one on Fifth Avenue.

The main entrance to the Apple Store will be on Bloor. The Yonge side will be home to a 3000 sq/ft outdoor area with tables, seating and trees. The heritage building that is maintained on site will have its north wall clad in the castagna stone that I pointed out in the quote above. It’ll continue the wall from the inside of the store which will be clad in this stone on the south and west walls while the north and east facades will be all glass.

There’ll be a living/green wall and trees inside of the store. This explains the deep gap between the floor slab and street level.

Edit: Added this pic to help visualize the materials and finishings that we can expect both inside and outside the store, which will play a major role in the design of The One’s base.
85334427-5BDB-4C94-8A78-4F9DE4DA6074.png

(Pic: Apple Regent Street by Kaito Asami)

Last edited:
I think part of the controversy of the permit/no permit earlier had to do with the fact that we were at the beginning of a pandemic. I was one of the people who was upset over the apparent construction without a permit at the time but it was primarily due to public health and safety.

Yes we are still in a pandemic but the situation is far different now. You shouldn't ever build without a permit anyway, but I'm with you, I would just like to see this thing start going again as well.

As far as I can tell through the permit portal, no above-grade permit has been issued and this is (yet again) illegal work from Mizrahi Developments.

I think everyone wants to see this project go, including me. But I also don't like seeing repeated illegal work from a developer who sees himself as above the law.

As far as I can tell through the permit portal, no above-grade permit has been issued and this is (yet again) illegal work from Mizrahi Developments.

I think everyone wants to see this project go, including me. But I also don't like seeing repeated illegal work from a developer who sees himself as above the law.
There maybe be a permit issued but the permit portal has not been updated yet. Stop accusing Mizrahi without any proof.

Nice looking interior. Thanks for posting the photo MetroMan. Like everyone else, I can't wait to see this building go up but I'm running out of patience. It's unfolding like the episodes of a mini series

The latest drawings show a brick finish to the north wall of the heritage - not the castagna stone mentioned.

Thanks for your continued updates @Benito. Please keep an eye out for evenly distributed boxes under the Apple Store floor. If we see those, they’ll be for the trees. We might eventually also see plumbing, though that might not happen until after the podium is enclosed.
You’re welcome, just keep an eye out on my usually thrice weekly photos.

Back