Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

The latest drawings show a brick finish to the north wall of the heritage - not the castagna stone mentioned.

This rendering is at least a few years old, probably more (time flies).

AB107170-8485-4F53-822A-F32C889C434D.jpeg

Apple will have a 3000sq/ft outdoor “square” along Yonge and the castagna stone wall would tie the outdoor space into the store. This information discussed with a source familiar with Apple’s plans is being inferred from the category this store falls in — top tier flagship — which by Apple’s guidelines gets their top tier finishings which include the castagna stone inside and outside wherever possible. Apple has over 5 metres of the sidewalk from the glass towards the public sidewalk and about 65 metres along Yonge from the house to Bloor for their patio area. Given that a living wall is being built at this store, it’s possible that a part of that wall will be cut out for a green wall like this store in Louisville:

1AD8D38D-F72B-422F-B9FD-90938FCB5F6B.jpeg

pic: 9to5mac

This rendering is at least a few years old, probably more (time flies).

View attachment 258413

The rendering might be a few years old but the SPA drawings from April 2020 aren't - they show a brick wall in that location.

North-Elev.png

East-Elevation.png

Apple has over 5 metres of the sidewalk from the glass towards the public sidewalk and about 65 metres along Yonge from the house to Bloor for their patio area.

Nowhere close to 65m along Yonge - 35m is more like it

Floor.png

Last edited:
There maybe be a permit issued but the permit portal has not been updated yet. Stop accusing Mizrahi without any proof.
Sam, is that you?

This developer built much of the foundation without a permit, has had a notice to comply and stop work order for doing so, and violated the Covid emergency order for two weeks during during the early days of the public health emergency. All of this is documented in this thread.

The permit portal is linked to the permit issuance process which is digital. There is no reason to think there would be a lag of any kind. I have personally never experienced a lag in the portal. Notwithstanding which my post begins with “As far as I can tell through the permit portal...” as a general caveat.

But since you are so intent on for some reason defending Mizrahi’s honour despite ongoing evidence of unscrupulousness, I will now contact Toronto Building and ask them to confirm whether this above-ground work is permitted, and report back, following which I will either eat crow or await your reaction.

Sam, is that you?

This developer built much of the foundation without a permit, has had a notice to comply and stop work order for doing so, and violated the Covid emergency order for two weeks during during the early days of the public health emergency. All of this is documented in this thread.

The permit portal is linked to the permit issuance process which is digital. There is no reason to think there would be a lag of any kind. I have personally never experienced a lag in the portal. Notwithstanding which my post begins with “As far as I can tell through the permit portal...” as a general caveat.

But since you are so intent on for some reason defending Mizrahi’s honour despite ongoing evidence of unscrupulousness, I will now contact Toronto Building and ask them to confirm whether this above-ground work is permitted, and report back, following which I will either eat crow or await your reaction.
Your personal vendetta against Mizrahi is quite something.

Last edited:
Selva Panchanatham, Manager Plan Review, Toronto Building, has confirmed to me this morning that no above grade permit has been issued and that the inspection team will be taking appropriate action.

As I have explained many, many times, this is not a personal vendetta. I do however believe that permit rules and laws should be followed for many reasons including safety. Remember that the permitting process includes third-party review for compliance with building code, fire safety, etc. It is not just a box-checking exercise. It is a substantive engineering and legal review.

Every time I see this developer fumble another step of the process, it disappoints me. I have no delight or pleasure in seeing this empty hole at one of our principal intersections. But Mizrahi Developments' unscrupulous incompetence deserves to be called out for what it is. I'm sorry that this is true, but he keeps proving that it is.

Selva Panchanatham, Manager Plan Review, Toronto Building, has confirmed to me this morning that no above grade permit has been issued and that the inspection team will be taking appropriate action.

As I have explained many, many times, this is not a personal vendetta. I do however believe that permit rules and laws should be followed for many reasons including safety. Remember that the permitting process includes third-party review for compliance with building code, fire safety, etc. It is not just a box-checking exercise. It is a substantive engineering and legal review.

Every time I see this developer fumble another step of the process, it disappoints me. I have no delight or pleasure in seeing this empty hole at one of our principal intersections. But Mizrahi Developments' unscrupulous incompetence deserves to be called out for what it is. I'm sorry that this is true, but he keeps proving that it is.
For the record, putting up rebar above ground without pouring concrete over it does not constitute above-ground construction, so I don't see any violations. It's the same as putting up forms or any other construction material above ground.

For the record, putting up rebar above ground without pouring concrete over it does not constitute above-ground construction, so I don't see any violations. It's the same as putting up forms or any other construction material above ground.

It literally is.

So what is it then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming this is a violation, wouldn't the contractor be the main culprit, and not necessarily the developer? Personally, if i was a contractor, and the development firm told me to go ahead and violate regulations and continue without a permit, i'd tell him to blow smoke.
Just because someone says do something, doesn't mean you have to do it. They have the right of refusal based on the permit issue alone. There is obviously more to it than that, and maybe we will find out, but i wouldn't expect to hear much.

...and the parrot is just resting?

Back