Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

TonyV:

As a hybrid computing products user (Apple for mobile, PC for desktop), I find the aesthetics of Apple Stores compelling - and yes, they'd make for great "meditation centres", but I avoid them like the plague. Far easier to just order what I want online without the hassle of having to shove my way through one. And let's face it, the selling function is secondary to the marketing one - the constant state of near pandemonium and spontaneous outbreak of crowds, lines and memorials just underlines that.

AoD

Last edited:
They could put in something what they did in Ginza, Tokyo - 8 floors - with 5 totally used by Apple and 3 additional shared office floors. Don't think the economics will work the same way here though.

As you say, the economics wouldn't work here for a 5-storey Apple location. Maybe two at most. Canada's just a vastly smaller market. (Plus Ginza was Apple's first store outside of the US, and so was kind of overbuilt, as a showcase.)

adH:

I can see a bit more than 2 - depending on the intent, they can have a studio/training centre and corporate rooms on site, which I don't think any of the current stores have. So maybe 4? Definitely don't see them going for more than that.

Wonder how the sales/sq. ft for stores in Canada compares to those US and elsewhere - Canadian retail tend to be high performers in this regard.

MileHigh:

Good to have third party confirmation!

AoD

Yonge n Bloor is a fantastic corner for an Apple store. Guaranteed they'll do a fantastic design which will preserve the original structure.

There's definitely a need for an additional Apple store in the downtown area and I'm certainly looking forward to this.

adH:

Wonder how the sales/sq. ft for stores in Canada compares to those US and elsewhere - Canadian retail tend to be high performers in this regard.

That would be interesting! I don't think Apple makes that information available. I do know the US stores are the most profitable American retail by a huge margin: $5,600/sq. ft (versus $2,900 for second place (Tiffany & Co)). I assume Canada stores are well below that. Just anecdotally, no matter how bonkers the Eaton Centre location gets, it's nothing compared to Fifth Avenue or Regent Street.

(Yes, I go to Apple stores on my vacations. No, it's not a pilgrimage. I'm just using the free WiFi. Honest.)

The Top Six Most Profitable Retail Stores in America:
(Name: sales per square foot)

1. Apple: $5,647
2. Tiffany: $3,085
3. Coach: $1,824
4. Lululemon Athletica: $1,800
5. True Religion Apparel: 1,096
6. GameStop:$1,021

adH:

I think Canadian stores have higher sales/sq. foot since we have less retail space in general. Don't quote me on it - my claim could be very wrong.

re: Top 6

I am really surprised to see Gamestop there. Alas, next week would be fun, Mass Effect 3 AND iPad 3 back to back...sheesh.

AoD

Last edited:
adH:

I can see a bit more than 2 - depending on the intent, they can have a studio/training centre and corporate rooms on site, which I don't think any of the current stores have. So maybe 4? Definitely don't see them going for more than that.

MileHigh:

Good to have third party confirmation!

AoD

Apple's globally performs at avg. sales/sf of $5,647 with avg. store sales equal to $44.438-million. Yorkdale has surpassed the $17,000/sf mark. They are definately performing better in Canada when compared to the global store-wide figures.

Can't developers leave one corner alone? More quality buildings on Yonge Street will bite the dust if something significant goes up here plus getting in and out of the parking garage at this corner will be a nightmare, presuming it's a condo.

Ya, you're right. I'm sure of you owned a property worth $50 million you'd be plenty happy to limit your income to one lousy tenant paying you $500,000 a year in rent..

Back