Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Someone enlighten me on the fascination with an Apple store. They sell computers and phone among other tech items. So does Best Buy and Staples. Don't get it.

You're not the target customer.

If you can't tell any difference between Best Buy or Staples, and an Apple Store, I don't know what to tell you.

Some people can't tell the difference — or don't care for the difference — between a well tailored suit and one they can buy at International Clothiers. This is why it's so hard to explain Apple to people who "just don't get it". It's not that you're wrong. It's that if you don't appreciate the fit and finish, the attention to details and the way everything works together in an Apple product, you're not the target customer. The same way you couldn't sell me a cheap plastic laptop. It could be cheaper — heck it could be free — and it could be infinitely customizable and come with programs for downloading free movies and tv shows, but I wouldn't use it.

The same goes for the Apple Store. They're beautifully designed stores. The customer service centred experience revolutionized retail. You have to ask yourself that if the world is going crazy over Apple Stores, what are you missing? What are you not seeing?

I'm obviously a shopper who isn't dazzled by the experience. I don't need a big shiny store to with the geek squad to sell me on something i already know that i want.
Some people need the reassurance when they go there that they are in the right place for the product. To each his own. It obviously works for Apple.

Dec 9
Is this a Mizrahi thing, using old containers since he has it up on his other site as well?? Good idea and fast insulation, but requires storage area when not in use.
38098178135_52cf5131fe_b.jpg

38984309211_442373b40e_b.jpg

38947729122_178c8825f6_b.jpg

38984311251_d67fd452c1_b.jpg

38984312881_9de48546cb_b.jpg

38947733702_e9ffe6fa1f_b.jpg

38947737422_59b312dcb9_b.jpg

Apple Ginza (Tokyo) and George Street (Sydney) are flagship stores that are a part of tower complexes:

From my understanding that's changed a bit with the new "Town Square" ideologies. That said I think no matter what the size, given its location and the architect involved they'd still plug it as a "flagship". I doubt it's the ideal scenario for them though...

With all of this information, with outdoor space, with a wonder if it would open before the tower is completed. If so, we could be looking at a 2019 opening.

An early retail opening/fast-track was rumoured, but unconfirmed at this point. Even still, late 2019 might be too optimistic, and very sizeable canopy, larger than Aura’s, would have to be built over a very constrained site with a small footprint. And, given Apple’s design standards, it would be a visual compromise to unveil a grand store like this in such fashion. I hope I’m wrong though, as this is long overdue.

As a pedestrian, I find their sturdiness a lot more reassuring than the usual cover. They look pretty smart, too. The punched windows and railings are a nice touch... makes for less of a tunnel effect.
More peace of mind walking at night too. Low lit tunnel along Yonge at night wouldn't be idea for some.

I was thinking that if this sells well may be Mizrahi can decide to add a floor or two just like Aura.

I was thinking that if this sells well may be Mizrahi can decide to add a floor or two just like Aura.
Unlikely, the Foster and Partners design is probably less flexible than Aura. The exoskeleton here has a distinct pattern, you can't just add a floor without compromising the whole. Aura had consistent floorplates and cladding, all they had to do was add a chunk in the middle. Here they'd have to add a multiple of 6 or 7 to maintain the aesthetic, especially after construction has begun.

Back