Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Speaking of renderings....

New official ones from the One Bloor West Site. Off the top of my head, visible changes include 1) the tallest stacked-box is now a single one, heritage entrance off Yonge looks like a brick wall now with a more modest entrance (less appealing imo), diamond cladding is back, and a new official logo which reflects the design of the crown:

All renders from here (click for original, high resolution versions): http://onebloorwest.com

28800736420_8a9bbaceef_c.jpg

28800742750_8ddd8bf190_c.jpg

28981903122_0634810346_c.jpg

28981907492_542b54676a_c.jpg

28800762330_25212d7813_b.jpg

28465866764_5d6dbeda49_b.jpg

Not sure if its been posted, but the prehearing at the board for this one is in November. I really hate how long board hearings take, the full hearing probably won't happen until mid 2017..

http://elto.gov.on.ca/omb/e-status/

E-Status Case Details
PROPERTY ADDRESS CASE DESCRIPTION STATUS CASE NUMBER
Mizrahi 80-storey tower at Yonge & Bloor Open PL160431

Hearing and Decision Information

HEARING TYPE START DATE HEARING STATUS START TIME HEARING LOCATION DECISION TYPE DECISION NUMBER
Prehearing 17 Nov 2016 10:00 AM Ontario Municipal Board (Toronto) 16th Fl, , 655 Bay Street, 16th Floor Toronto ON M5G 1E5

Individuals should appear at the start time of the proceedings.

As the City is going to be appearing in support of the application now, there may only be a pre-hearing required, where the plan would be ratified. If someone else decides to fight the application however, there would be a hearing.

As the City is going to be appearing in support of the application now, there may only be a pre-hearing required, where the plan would be ratified. If someone else decides to fight the application however, there would be a hearing.

Doesn't it go without saying those obstructionists in the Uptown will continue trying to protect their views?

If anything, those new renders make it hard to resist wanting to see that Scotia bank get redeveloped sooner rather than later.

I would have loved to see the site used as an extension of The One's podium to the west or even as a green space/public plaza, had the property been acquired.
IMO, aside from the obvious increase in property value, the Scotiabank property is at a disadvantage now because it doesn't leave a lot breathing room for a future developer to work with, meaning the type of building that can be built there will be restricted to a far too familiar form. It also doesn't help that the 70+ storey structure going up next to it extends almost to the edge of the property line.
The remaining structures directly south of The One are in a much better position.

I would have loved to see the site used as an extension of The One's podium to the west or even as a green space/public plaza, had the property been acquired.
IMO, aside from the obvious increase in property value, the Scotiabank property is at a disadvantage now because it doesn't leave a lot breathing room for a future developer to work with, meaning the type of building that can be built there will be restricted to a far too familiar form. It also doesn't help that the 70+ storey structure going up next to it extends almost to the edge of the property line.
The remaining structures directly south of The One are in a much better position.

The buildings south of the One will have to deal with the HCD, the 75 degree angular plane and loading issues. I suspect the remainder of the block on Bloor from Balmuto to the One is the lower hanging fruit.

That, and Bloor retail frontage is probably something that nets you higher rent than Yonge.

AoD

Doesn't it go without saying those obstructionists in the Uptown will continue trying to protect their views?
Someone with more regular experience with OMB hearings would be better to answer, but I believe that if the only parties at the OMB are there to support the application, then those wanting to oppose it would have to be granted party status as well for a hearing to proceed… so it could happen. Party status pretty much means having to hire representation, and incur other expenses like hiring expert witnesses, to pursue their aims. If the City and the developer are behind the proposal though, it would be next to impossible to stop it at the OMB without some killer argument. Those opposing this would be better to just toast some s'mores over their burning pile of money: at least they'd end up with some s'mores.

The buildings south of the One will have to deal with the HCD, the 75 degree angular plane and loading issues. I suspect the remainder of the block on Bloor from Balmuto to the One is the lower hanging fruit.

That, and Bloor retail frontage is probably something that nets you higher rent than Yonge.

AoD

If Apple hasn't already signed with Mizrahi, then the Scotiabank is an ideal site for a standalone, ground up Apple Store. It's one way that the owner of that property can still profit nicely in the shadow of an 80 floor tower.

Whatever the case, now that The One is approved, the dominoes are going to start falling fast. I'm most looking forward to The Hudson's Bay being demolished or at least dramatically redeveloped.

Back