Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

The site is 1.7 acres (70% bigger than One Bloor East). You do the math.

DEE1798B-E0E1-4FE8-91D1-FF65479D4F8A-412-0000002DAA08CE92.jpg

One interesting aspect to this site. My understanding is the Harbour Commissioners Building, which is in the south-west corner (bottom left) indent in the highlighted area is built on wooden piers for its foundation. The wood piers would last indefinitely as long as they are kept continuously wet - as has been the case with the high water table in this area. If the water table were to drop, the piers would be subject to rotting. Any new construction along the north and east of the building would have to ensure that the water table around the Harbour Commissioners building were maintained, or the building may require new underpinning as part of the redevelopment project.

I heard a rumour it was gonna be 169 stories.

Interesting. Has anyone heard anything moving on potential sites at LCBO lands, Loblaws or 45 Bay? This would create a massive dense area that would need a lot of public transit. Could a subway be built in this area or is it too close to the lake (risk of flooding).

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the Portlands south of the Gardiner/Don Valley in terms of density.

Interesting. Has anyone heard anything moving on potential sites at LCBO lands, Loblaws or 45 Bay? This would create a massive dense area that would need a lot of public transit. Could a subway be built in this area or is it too close to the lake (risk of flooding).

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the Portlands south of the Gardiner/Don Valley in terms of density.

You're joking right?

As for the wood foundation, I suspect Oxford would underpin as part of the development, partially as a way to increase parking as well.

One interesting aspect to this site. My understanding is the Harbour Commissioners Building, which is in the south-west corner (bottom left) indent in the highlighted area is built on wooden piers for its foundation. The wood piers would last indefinitely as long as they are kept continuously wet - as has been the case with the high water table in this area. If the water table were to drop, the piers would be subject to rotting. Any new construction along the north and east of the building would have to ensure that the water table around the Harbour Commissioners building were maintained, or the building may require new underpinning as part of the redevelopment project.

I don't know about the matter of a wooden foundation in the Harbour Commission Building rotting if allowed to dry. (Though I know something similar is true about the cribs and stringers of the traditional cottage dock.). But a quick trip through Google will show older photos of the building on the end of a substantial pier extending into the lake. That it still rests on wooden pilings seems very likely to me.

Over the years the surrounding area has been filled in and the building is now a block inland. I doubt they would have altered the original foundation, however.

My apologies for not providing a link. I am on an IPad and find the linking business a little tricky and annoying.

Could a subway be built in this area or is it too close to the lake (risk of flooding). It will be interesting to see what will happen to the Portlands south of the Gardiner/Don Valley in terms of density.
This is a bit south of any 'probable' DRL routing, but a DRL would certainly service these buildings too (if only indirectly). And subways can basically be bulit anywhere. Costs simply increase when lakes and water tables get in the way, but it's still very much possible.

According to TPA's 2013 Annual Report, published sometime earlier this year, the project will have 1.2 million sf of office, with an expected mid-2019 construction finish, and planning and public consultation to commence in "late 2014".

That's larger than BAC East.

Granted, this may or may not be impacted by all those other projects that have recently been green-lighted.

Some excerpts from the TPA 2013 Annual Report, referenced in the post above:

We also continued work on the redevelopment of our 1.8-acre site at Bay and Harbour Streets, an important element of our long-term financial sustainability. Home to the historic Harbor Commission building that houses our head office, the site is otherwise largely used for surface parking. Redevelopment will see the construction of new commercial and office space that is well-aligned with Toronto’s vision for a balance of office, commercial and residential space in the South Core area.

During 2013, preliminary work continued on the redevelopment of the TPA property at Bay and Harbour Streets. TPA headquarters, the landmark Toronto Harbor Commission building at 60 Harbour Street, will be preserved and will anchor the 1.8-acre site.

Oxford Properties Group, the real estate investment arm of the OMERS Worldwide Group of Companies, will build and manage the 30 Bay/60 Harbour Project. The significant development initiative will solidify the TPA’s long-term financial sustainability planning and will increase our ability to undertake essential public works projects over the coming years.

Once completed, the redevelopment will enable the TPA to showcase our historic headquarters in an enhanced public arena while also creating a new and exciting space to support the city’s expanding financial services sector and the overall growth in Toronto’s South Core. The proposed 1.2 million-square-foot development will provide high-quality office and commercial opportunities, which is consistent with the City of Toronto’s goal of achieving the right balance of office, commercial, and residential mixed-use in the South Core area. A public consultation process will be incorporated into the planning and design phase expected to begin in late 2014.

So it sounds like office/commercial only, with no residential component. That is something of a surprise to me, I had thought that the site was large enough to hold both an office and a residential tower. Perhaps the office building is only phase one?

Last edited:
That also puts the 944,000sf figure from p.15 of THIS document out of date.

This 1.8-acre site is improved with the 7-storey Toronto Harbor Commission office building at 60 Harbour Street and a vacant site currently used for surface parking. While no official plans are available yet, the Toronto Port Authority plans on redeveloping the vacant land into a mixed-use office and commercial property. The existing structure at 60 Harbour Street will be preserved. Current tenants of the building, including Harbour 60 Restaurant, are expected to remain at the same location.

TPA hopes to have construction commence within the next few years following required approvals and site planning.

So it sounds like office/commercial only, with no residential component. That is something of a surprise to me, I had thought that the site was large enough to hold both an office and a residential tower. Perhaps the office building is only phase one?

To me it barely looks big enough to hold just the office tower if it is going to be very tall. No way they add residential after, unfortunately.

WOW the amount of development that's going to take place in the south core is ridiculous! Im really excited to see what this delivers along with Union Centre and 45 Bay. I just hope they try to use a different color to their tower to give it a distinct unique look, like RBC Plaza is, but visible on the skyline.

I wonder if disconnecting the YUS line from union station and making it go further south to service the south core would be a possible. Then have the DRL go East West from Union station. I guess it would reduce congestion at union and service our newly developing South Core?

Back