Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

This building is huge. There are very few anchors that can take 50% of the space. Oxford doesn't need to build this tower. I don't see any advantage in playing musical chairs with tenants under 50,000 square feet to get this tower built over securing a safe anchor tenant in a long term contract.

Toronto need more office tower with over 500 feet height so badly since Toronto reach near 3 million population in city of Toronto or 7 million population in GTA with Hamilton? 7 million? but I heard more than 100,000 new immigrants moved to GTA every year so NYC got 24 million population with 145 office with over 500 feet height, I did figure it out with math ... if 8 million population? make 1/3? would be 48 office? if 1 million each would be 6 office per million population but Toronto will reach 3 million before summer 2021, 3 million should be 18 office tower with over 500 feet height!

When I was in 1981, GTA got only 3.3 million but GTA with Hamilton got only 3,616,000 population? like new city with cute number population because I was only 3 years old in 1981, I can remember that Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga have lots of farm field but not today, most farm field gone and every new houses everywhere! nearly 40 years but right now 38 years from 1981, everywhere is so different, not same and everything changed so fast but my point is near 4 million should be 24 office tower with over 500 feet tower but Toronto really not rush and Toronto got only 5 office tower in 1981 and right now got only 13 office tower plus 4 more coming (160 front, cibc square I, the well office tower and 16 york) then will be only 17 office by 2022? like come on?

NYC GOT 145 OFFICE TOWER!!!!!! if hub, cibc square II and cc3 add to skyline then will be 20th office tower with over 500 feet tall height! I wish Toronto have like 42 office tower because GTA with Hamilton will reach 7 million by anytime from now between 2021 but Canada's economy always weakness and we got only 13 like "cute small number of babies office tower in large city because condo is everywhere in Toronto!" unbelieve it!

I rather to see the hub to build it right away

Last edited by a moderator:
A few pictures from its British "cousin" from this last weekend - it we get anything like this - it will be a treat v

20190825-134105.jpg

20190825-134302.jpg

20190825-134520.jpg

20190825-134523.jpg

20190825-134609.jpg

And littler cousin at 88 Wood

20190825-141123.jpg

20190825-141107.jpg
London has some of the most appalling modern architecture of any city I have ever seen. No thanks

London has some of the most appalling modern architecture of any city I have ever seen. No thanks

Beg to differ on that score. London has some magnificent "modern" architecture that we can only hope to have. I'd trade Lloyds or the Gherkin for almost anything in Toronto.

Terry Farrell on the other hand should stay far, far away.

AoD

Beg to differ on that score. London has some magnificent "modern" architecture that we can only hope to have. I'd trade Lloyds or the Gherkin for almost anything in Toronto.

AoD
what are u smoking bro. London has wonderful architecture even better than NY and Chicago. ive been to London, they have one of the best public realm in the world.

I’m, perhaps naively, holding out hope that we’re going to see some more magnificent projects in the city over the next decade. With property prices being as high as they are, developers should have more money to invest in architecture than they did earlier in the development cycle.

I already get the sense that the projects currently in the pipeline are a lot better quality than what we saw 10 years ago. M+G, The Hub, The One and CIBC Square, among others, are arguably all better than anything we’ve built this cycle (not at the level of London or anything, but still very good). Nothing will erase the past decade of hideous, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I’m, perhaps naively, holding out hope that we’re going to see some more magnificent projects in the city over the next decade. With property prices being as high as they are, developers should have more money to invest in architecture than they did earlier in the development cycle. I already get the sense that the projects currently in the pipeline are a lot better quality than what we saw 10 years ago. Nothing will erase the past decade of hideous, unfortunately.

The 2020s will be a Golden decade for Toronto's highrise construction. From 2005 - 2015, we had very mediocre class box construction. Now with our City Planning department, and architects and public much more knowledgeable into what they want and expect. Thus we are seeing a lot better proposals such as Well, Hub, CIBC Square, 160 Front, Union Park, etc.

I suspect that most of the buildings that went up between 2005 - 2015, will be demolished starting in 2050's just like what we are doing today to the Brutalist Architecture that went up in the 1970's and early 1980s.

The 2020s will be a Golden decade for Toronto's highrise construction. From 2005 - 2015, we had very mediocre class box construction. Now with our City Planning department, and architects and public much more knowledgeable into what they want and expect. Thus we are seeing a lot better proposals such as Well, Hub, CIBC Square, 160 Front, Union Park, etc.

Yup. Hopefully the apparent impending recession won’t disrupt this too much. We can’t erase the ugly (for the most part), but a handful of marquee projects can certainly dilute it.

I suspect that most of the buildings that went up between 2005 - 2015, will be demolished starting in 2050's just like what we are doing today to the Brutalist Architecture that went up in the 1970's and early 1980s.

Let's just hope in that case that we don't have to use "fascadism" and keep part of those glass boxes as memory. Haha

AoD
I decided to google some of his projects ... holy .. cow ... he has some truly gaudy creations.
At the same time, it 'appears' like he gets some fairly prominent work. How is that? Does his stuff have appeal to a certain segment? Is he connected? I mean some of the stuff I saw on google was so awful that you'd assume it would kill a career ...

I find the standards were higher between 2005 to 2015 in the downtown. The junk was mainly built in NYCC and other suburbs. That line has blurred since. A couple stand out commercial projects doesn't make up for the many cheap, overdeveloped, patterned designs going up now in the core now. aA patterns were classy and usually incorporated depth in them.

99 percent of the buildings that went up between 2005-2015 are condos. They are built to a higher density. I see no reason for them to torn down. They will be repaired as needed probably much in the same way as 1960s brick clad towers are covered in metal siding or EIFS instead of restoring and rebuilding the facade. I wouldn't count on window wall panels being replaced with curtain wall. How many high rise rental towers built 50 years ago have come down? I think it's wishful thinking on your part that we will correct these architectural mishaps and, of course, build even taller structures in their places.

Back