Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Gadzooks. Torontonians are getting spoiled. New buildings have been going up at a furious rate for years now and people wring their hands over pushed and cancelled developments in a shaky economy - at what increasingly looks like the end of a truly remarkable development cycle. Let's break out the world's tiniest violin for all the afflicted.

Gadzooks. Torontonians are getting spoiled. New buildings have been going up at a furious rate for years now and people wring their hands over pushed and cancelled developments in a shaky economy - at what increasingly looks like the end of a truly remarkable development cycle. Let's break out the world's tiniest violin for all the afflicted.

Shhh, the cycle isn't quite over yet........

No spoilers though.

I get it, and that's great news - wink wink, when it happens - but we have to be nearing the end of this phenomenal run all the same. These things can't last forever.

Last edited:
I get it, and that's great news - wink wink, when it happens - but we have to be nearing the end of this phenomenal all the same.

I would tend to think so....but it may be a bit longer yet. Though its fair to point out, that most booms continue right up to the moment they bust. I can't speak to the unpredictable; only that there is a moving pipeline.

These things can't last forever.

To a near certainty, that is correct.

It's time for a break.
There's far too much mediocrity in design and too much congestion on our roads. New transit infustructure needs to be built out to accommodate projected growth and that will take time. Meanwhile prices have become nearly unaffordable and clearly unsustainable, there needs to be a bit of a crash. What does it matter if we build housing if the people who need it most can't afford it anyways?

I do hope that some of the better projects like the Hub survive though, I'll keep my fingers crossed for it🤞

It's time for a break.
There's far too much mediocrity in design and too much congestion on our roads. New transit infustructure needs to be built out to accommodate projected growth and that will take time. Meanwhile prices have become nearly unaffordable and clearly unsustainable, there needs to be a bit of a crash. What does it matter if we build housing if the people who need it most can't afford it anyways?

I do hope that some of the better projects like the Hub survive though, I'll keep my fingers crossed for it🤞
I don't disagree with this assessment, but it doesn't necessarily follow that a substantial slow-down in major developments will magically spur on better, more striking designs. That remains a difficult thing to mandate.

It's not over until there is an elevator core stump left for decades. ;)

And that is why we don't build large office towers on spec, in this town! 16 York....yah yah.......... it was medium sized, LOL

Did Trizec / Markborough have any preleasing locked down in the late 80s? KPMG and Goodmans were the leads for the current Brookfield scheme in 2005-6 but does anyone have any recollection of what may have been secured earlier?

It's time for a break.

Well, we got good ones and bad ones in this building boom, and that's going to be the case for every boom. But yes, the Hub is one of the better proposals that I would also like to see built sometime in the future.

Did Trizec / Markborough have any preleasing locked down in the late 80s?

To my understanding, they proceeded to construction without an anchor tenant in place. I don't know what percentage they may have had leased.

But when they were looking to get going commercial vacancy rates were already at 13% +

By the time the stump was mothballed, they were approaching 20%

Back