Toronto The Hangar District | 49m | 14s | Northcrest Developments | Perkins Eastman

abovegrade

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys, some renderings for the Northcrest 1st district (engulfing the studio campus + beyond) is on the townhall:
https://northcresttogether.ca/projects/district-1

I tried taking screenshots but the quality is really low sorry!

In addition, you can complete the survey here (open until April 14th): https://www.tfaforms.com/4969807

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.55.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.55.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.55.12 PM.png

3,000 units in what should be the lowest density part of the entire plan.. how many units in total will these lands end up accommodating!?

What's to happen to the hangers at Downsview lands?
1673891602133.png

It would be nice to see them be repurposed into some kind of indoor entertainment facility.

Toronto could really benefit with some kind of indoor amusement park like Galaxyland/Nickelodean Universe. We need more attractions that can be done in the winter months.

1673891372252.png

1673891488058.png

What's to happen to the hangers at Downsview lands?
View attachment 450884

It would be nice to see them be repurposed into some kind of indoor entertainment facility.

Toronto could really benefit with some kind of indoor amusement park like Galaxyland/Nickelodean Universe. We need more attractions that can be done in the winter months.

View attachment 450882
View attachment 450883
There was actually a call for proposals in Dec for development/destination retail in the hangars. I got an email from Northcrest.

... Seriously, isn't there any aerospace talent left in the GTA ? I would think that this class of employee could afford to live somewhere close to a new facility.
The new Bombardier facility (for its Global business jets) to replace the one at Downsview is being built at Pearson.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/post-your-pictures-of-toronto-here.16317/post-1830456

I'm hoping there can be some kind of final public event (like the private one de Havilland had last year) before the airfield is permanently shut down in a few months.

I guess my next aircraft won't be a De Havilland. Seriously, isn't there any aerospace talent left in the GTA ? I would think that this class of employee could afford to live somewhere close to a new facility.
I guess you'll just have to upgrade to one of the GLEXs that will be built at YYZ later this year or early next!

Last edited:
The Hangar District:

The Hangar District:

I highly recommend everyone explore that link a bit, so I won't post all the renderings, but here are some teasers

Hangar District_Plaza with Bay 12_Rendering (1).jpg
Hangar District_Downsview Park Bridge 2_Rendering (1).jpg

This whole thing has quietly become one of the most exciting developments in the city, just seems like great vision so far all around.
Well said. What's interesting is the long term effects of pedestrian/cycling prioritization and how it will radically change Toronto planning in the suburbs.

Back